Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Killed my TRS, to death

A friend of mine bought a Excalibur Fountain with twin Trs Speed II drives. After looking at his options He wanted to go with a Konrad drive but after taking to many who had them he went with the complete Konrad package gimbal housing & drive. I wanted him just to put a stock Trs drives back on, the drives would be 2" higher & most likely faster than the speed II. Konrad has a drive that can be used with the Trs gimbal but that's still putting a bandage on the Trs set up, you might as well use the Trs drive. He bought the used drives off this Konrad race boat for around 18k & thought he had a good deal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

well, I got all my measurements and info to Konrad and got the final quote. Ouch! While, I haven't shot it down all together, $15K plus R&R plus prop testing plus painting the transom is a tough pill to swallow!
    DUNESMAN

Well, I decided to stick with the evil I know (and the more affordable option). I tracked down a NOS TRS unit and pulled the trigger. It wasn't cheap but the other option was more than twice expensive. It'll be cool having a NOS unit and I know she'll last a long, long time. After looking at the old drive that ate itself, it was evident that at some point, water got in to the drive and sat there.
    I need to order a nose cone and get it welded on and painted but it should be a really simple, fast swap. I'll share some pics of the wrecked drive later on, it's impressive!
    DUNESMAN

Just curious......are nose cones "welded" on?
    The nose cone on my Bravo is epoxied on, at least I'm pretty sure it is. At least when I stripped it down for re-finishing, epoxy and filler is all I saw.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

unless you run well over 70, the nose cone won't help
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Just curious......are nose cones "welded" on?
    The nose cone on my Bravo is epoxied on, at least I'm pretty sure it is. At least when I stripped it down for re-finishing, epoxy and filler is all I saw.
    Funny, the one I currently have was welded on, I know because I had it welded on but now looking at what is available and they're "kits" they all say to use the supplied epoxy.
    DUNESMAN

Digging this thread back up because... drum roll... I blew up another TRS drive! This time is was a two year old unit that I found, NIB. The output shaft sheared right off, likely from not throttling down enough in re entry. SO, we're going with a Konrad this time. I'll be curious to see how it goes...
    DUNESMAN

Isnt that an easy fix, just get a new shaft?
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Quote Originally Posted by Pismo View Post
    Isnt that an easy fix, just get a new shaft?
    When the shaft let go, it broke the housing too.

Konrad drive is shipping today! Should be cool and maybe a little more performance too since it's shorter but that is not the reason I got it.
    DUNESMAN

I’m guessing the Konrad will have bigger gears and more gear loss, but as you say, less drag. Good luck with it—curious to hear how the. Konrad does.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I’m guessing the Konrad will have bigger gears and more gear loss, but as you say, less drag. Good luck with it—curious to hear how the. Konrad does.
    Thanks. I just received it this week, the unit does look very nice. I too am curious to see how she works, I'll report back with some notes and photos once installed.
    DUNESMAN

Are you up and running yet?
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Thread Information