Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Killed my TRS, to death

Killed my TRS, to death

This past summer, I didn't get to use the Orange Whip as much as I wanted (500hp '76 2+3 with a stroker small block) because it was our second year with our 06 Tiara 2900 Open Classic (which has been great btw). The second to last time I took the Orange Whip out, it seemed like the exhaust was WHOOPING a little harder than normal but nothing really odd. We went for a "slow" cruise and it was great. The last time I took her out, I sensed the same heavy exhaust feel and my gut told me that something is not right. Of course, I didn't listen to my gut.
    As soon as I rounded the lighthouse, I nailed the throttle to get her up on plane and the entire boat just starts to shake, A LOT! I immediately throttle down, turn around, let my buddy take the helm and I lift the engine hatch to confirm that we aren't sinking. After I realize the boat is still water tight, I take the helm while there is still a slight shake, put her in neutral and the shaking went away. It was obviously a drive problem. So, I limp my way up the river to get put on the dry rack and about 200 yards from the racks, the drive seizes up. I start her again, put her in forward and she seizes again. I start her again, put her in reverse and I'm able to limp back to the racks, backwards.
    The drive is totally destroyed. A pinon bearing burnt up and the shaft started flopping around in there more and more. It is not repairable... I'll post pics when I get a chance to go grab some. It's too bad but it happened. The drive is the only part of the boat that hasn't been completely redone. I've rebuilt the motor (twice) the transmission and the entire boat so it is sweet and it is a keeper. I'm not averse to spending some cash to do the right thing.
    So, knowing what you now know, do you think it make more sense for me to find a TRS drive and hope for the best or buy a TRS drive and rebuild it or pull the trigger and spend 8-10K for a Konrad TRS replacement. Evidently the Konrad is about 2" shorter and they said they typically see 2-4mph increase if nothing else has changed.
    Your thoughts, experiences and feedback are welcome! Thanks guys...
    DUNESMAN

Bummer about your TRS. The Konrad sounds tempting if you don't see clearly-good choices in the used market.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

I don't follow the TRS market, but I'd be inclined to think you could find a good used one at a reasonable price.

or

I don't know if he still has it, but Inferno had a new Konrad for sale a while back.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Drives are just hand grenades waiting to go off and when they do metal goes everywhere.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    I don't follow the TRS market, but I'd be inclined to think you could find a good used one at a reasonable price.

or

I don't know if he still has it, but Inferno had a new Konrad for sale a while back.
    Not certain but I have in my head that it was a different drive (meaning, not a TRS replacement). Also don't think he still has it, but we can find out...

Quote Originally Posted by f_inscreenname View Post
    Drives are just hand grenades waiting to go off and when they do metal goes everywhere.
    Is this a question, a statement or a joke?
    DUNESMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Not certain but I have in my head that it was a different drive (meaning, not a TRS replacement). Also don't think he still has it, but we can find out...
    I searched, I found and it's been sold.
    DUNESMAN

Quote Originally Posted by pipnit View Post
    Mark's been through a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by pipnit View Post
    Dude, nothing but sympathy. I lost 2 this year myself. After one goes I’ve found its better to just throw it away. Had one break a vertical shaft. Got just enough metal flakes in it from that after the shaft was replaced the top end burned up, replace that and the bottom end burns up.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

I Popped two Alpha's this year. Bearing pack let go on both uppers
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

----OSO for sale area is your friend. Plenty usually for sale there. They are great drives. Don't give up on them......Bill S

I think that if I had a TRS setup, and could afford it, I'd go for the Konrad.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

The Konrad being 2" shorter and far more hydrodynamic will give you 2-3 mph.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Konrad to transmission compatibility

I also have a TRS and I have considered the same option if and when my TRS has a serious issue. What transmission do you have? I have a Merctrans and wondered if the Konrad would be a compatable fit. Most times I hear of the TRS to Konrad conversion, I think it is with the BW transmission. Good luck with the drive and I will be interested to see your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by rr1048 View Post
    I also have a TRS and I have considered the same option if and when my TRS has a serious issue. What transmission do you have? I have a Merctrans and wondered if the Konrad would be a compatable fit. Most times I hear of the TRS to Konrad conversion, I think it is with the BW transmission. Good luck with the drive and I will be interested to see your choice.
    So, I don't KNOW for sure, but my understanding is that a Konrad will be fine with the Merctrans.

Thread Information