Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Palatke this week end

Palatka this week end

I know it's a little late and I thought this was posted here, buy, a few Donzi guys will be at the Crystal River resort in Palatka this week end. Maybe some of you Florida guys might come over. Nothing special planned, just a cruise on the river and the weather is supose to be fantastic too. http://cc-resort.com/
    The rooms look to be around $60.00 per night but don't hold me to it.
    Maybe see you there??
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

Crystal Cove
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I'd love to come up for this but if I skip Halloween with my son and then go to the run up on the Suwanee in two weeks things might be a bit cool around the homestead.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

On my way

Heading there now. Will take pictures
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.

so far so good

Fun on the St Johns
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool Me, too.

Thanks to a timely phone call, I will be there on Saturday. Although I sold my 22ZX over a year ago, it looks like I will have a chance to stir up my Donzi Fever this weekend.

Mark
    Florida SEADOG
    DONZI - You meet the nicest people.
    2006 22ZX 350 Mag MPi/Bravo One Donzi Quixote
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44360

Cool Spectacular boating day

Absolutely spectacular boating day! Temp in the low 80's, clear blue skies, very light breeze... could not have asked for more.

Sadly, George Carter arrived a little late (but we waited) only to report he had lost a wheel on his double axle trainer. Sure enough... failed bearing. Further inspection showed that a wheel bearing on the opposite side and other axle was also about to depart. Bert said he would help George repair the broken mounting and bearings, so the two other boats headed out. Later, it was discovered that virtually all four bearings had/were failing and had damaged the axles. So the group sat around and bench-raced the possibilities. I had to leave to head back to Jax, so the answer will have to wait for another post by someone else.

Being largely useless when it comes to hands on repairs, I opted to join the boaters. We went south on the Saint Johns down to the middle of Lake George, then turned around and headed back for lunch at what may become the new Unofficial Werl Headquarters of the SEADOG - Renegades - located just a tad north of our previous Unofficial Werl Headquarters of the SEADOGs - Porkeys.

Great day, lots of sunshine (it is Florida after all) and nobody cared about college football.
    Pictures to follow.

Mark
    Florida SEADOG
    DONZI - You meet the nicest people.
    2006 22ZX 350 Mag MPi/Bravo One Donzi Quixote
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44360

To say I was frustrated would be an understatement! I had spared no expense on rebuilding
    the trailer. It's not that I don't know how to pack bearings. I'll take the blame as I used
    nothing but the best Timkin bearings, seals, and their special grease. Up until Saturday,
    I had only put about 30 miles on the trailer. It's only about 3 miles to the local ramp.
    My thanks to Bert Harris for helping me. It was pretty warm, 88*, and I'm not sure I
    could have got it done as easily w/out him. He's a stand up guy who spent the day helping
    me instead of boating.
    It was also good to finally meet Dick Bipes who has recently moved to south central Florida
    from the far north. Also it my first time to meet Greg K.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

How was the drive

I assume you made it home without incident? I do not have your personal number or I would have called to check up on your progress. Maybe you PM me that information for the future George.
    My pleasure. Got to know you and enjoyed every second of it.
    Bert

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    To say I was frustrated would be an understatement! I had spared no expense on rebuilding
    the trailer. It's not that I don't know how to pack bearings. I'll take the blame as I used
    nothing but the best Timkin bearings, seals, and their special grease. Up until Saturday,
    I had only put about 30 miles on the trailer. It's only about 3 miles to the local ramp.
    My thanks to Bert Harris for helping me. It was pretty warm, 88*, and I'm not sure I
    could have got it done as easily w/out him. He's a stand up guy who spent the day helping
    me instead of boating.
    It was also good to finally meet Dick Bipes who has recently moved to south central Florida
    from the far north. Also it my first time to meet Greg K.

George,
    Did you figure out what might have gone wrong with the bearings? Water penetration past the seals, bad Timken bearings?

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

I don't know Bill. I'll just assume water got in somehow.
    When I got home, all was good. The ambient temperature
    was 88* and the hub temps were 106*, 106*, 106*, and
    109*. I have to do everything over as the parking lot was
    really dusty.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I don't know Bill. I'll just assume water got in somehow.
    When I got home, all was good. The ambient temperature
    was 88* and the hub temps were 106*, 106*, 106*, and
    109*. I have to do everything over as the parking lot was
    really dusty.
    Maybe the axle shoulders that the seals ride on are not perfect? A friend turned me on to speedi sleeves when I was messing with one of my trailers, and it looks like they work perfectly. Just a thought.
    http://www.timken.com/en-us/products...arsleeves.aspx

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

I have seen those sleeves on trailers when I did a repair and didn't know what they were. I thought I took something off that I shouldn't have. I thank you for bringing this up. I like those a lot and will try to use them next time I do my bearings (which I am about to do after this week end).

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Maybe the axle shoulders that the seals ride on are not perfect? A friend turned me on to speedi sleeves when I was messing with one of my trailers, and it looks like they work perfectly. Just a thought.
    http://www.timken.com/en-us/products...arsleeves.aspx

I installed one of those sleeves on the crank snout when I was rebuilding my 428.

Crank seal rides right on it, no more oil leak.

Ken

FWD STBD spindle was toast, after looking at it this past Saturday.
    Picked up a new Tie Down 3,500# Torsion axle w/replaceable spindles.
    Wish the old axles had them!
    Here's the new axle in my shop.
    The old axle is now out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information