Thread: Engine hatch swap

Engine hatch swap

Talking Classic 18. Will a 90's raised hatch fit on a 83? And where can I get a 90's hatch? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ralph crocker View Post
    Talking Classic 18. Will a 90's raised hatch fit on a 83? And where can I get a 90's hatch? Thanks
    I just found this and have the same questions. It looks necessary if one wanted to fit a new type engine, 6.2, 496 ho or 502 in an 18.

Quote Originally Posted by scannerboat View Post
    I just found this and have the same questions. It looks necessary if one wanted to fit a new type engine, 6.2, 496 ho or 502 in an 18.
    Pretty sure osur866 got a 6.2 in with a Whipple, with the stock hatch. Thinking the EFI 496 and 502 motors, with their low profile (lack of carbs) will go in with a stock hatch also.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Pretty sure osur866 got a 6.2 in with a Whipple, with the stock hatch. Thinking the EFI 496 and 502 motors, with their low profile (lack of carbs) will go in with a stock hatch also.
    the issue is with the exhaust risers not the carb area, at least on this 18. This one i have now 86 with a mercruiser 260 setup the motor is as high as they could possibly get it with the flush hatch. After removing the engine today I dont think a newer larger engine would fit easily without extreme modifications and defiantly not under the pre 90's hatch

Thread Information