Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1968 Barrelback 18 in Belgium : V-drive help

1968 Barrelback 18 in Belgium : V-drive help

This summer my brother and i went to France to pick up this interesting Donzi hull n° 208. Original color was light blue deck/side/bottom & white stripes.
    Again (1st time was with my last year's St Tropez find) I was astonished to find a hull that must have been imported in europe in very very few quantities. This one was imported new in 1968.
    No engine inside but a Mercruiser 255 (Ford) bellhousing mated to a Velvet drive and Crusader V drive.
    Sadly, the boat was highly modified through the years ending in a ski boat setting with horrible windscreen, custom-made dashboard, ... We saved it not long before it was trashed I think.

My question is :
    The original engine was a reverse rotating one (Mercruiser 255R clockwise turning) and the Velvet drive is a AS1-71C (with no "R" so clockwise turning too).
    During the resto process, we are looking forward to install a 5,7l GM instead.
    GM V8s are anticlockwise turning engines (left hand engines).

Is it possible to reverse the Velvet drive rotation by turning the oil pump ?
    Or should i let the velvet drive turning the same way as the GM engine and replace the propeller by an anti-clockwise turning one ?
    Or should I make the engine rotate clockwise ???

Thanks for your help.

FullSizeRender.jpg
    IMG_2215.JPGIMG_2206.JPGIMG_2205.JPGIMG_2198.JPG

Use the GM engine. Re align the Velvet drive pump housing , get a new prop and have fun.
    Une fois!

Jeff
    " Just piercing the surface"

Thank you HallJ.
    So only changing the prop by a left hand. Good.

my tortured mind just don't understand why there are 71C and 71CR velvet drives, one said to be turning conterclockwise and the second clockwise. Why did they made two references if both can rotate in any direction, une fois ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would say that the customer doesn't want to disassemble the transmission.
    If it is in a crate, how would you know the rotation? You would have to open the crate and have look.
    It also reduces warranty costs for Borg Warner from the customer spinning the pump backwards and damaging it.

Une fois avec Rien Ã* déclarer.

Jeff

Thanks. And I found that every 1:1 velvet drive can effectively rotate in both directions by turning the pump.

What is the V drive ratio?
    Maybe you already know this but many of the old Volvo bell housings will bolt right up to that Velvet drive.

Also, some of the Mercruiser TRS bellhousings have oil coolers built into them. That should work too.

I raced against some nice Belgians in the Cowes Torquay Cowes powerboat race. They have a 42 ft Buzzi RIB called "Beretta Due". Good racers.

Jeff

Thanks for the infos. i only knew for the TRS.
    I have to re-check V drive ratio. velvet drive is 1:1.

those belgians ?

and what boat do you race ?

Yes! That is it.

In 2013 and 2014 I raced With Mike and Christian on board "Dry Martini".

For 2015 I raced on board "Thunderstreak" a 31' Bertram. It is special boat for me, because my friend and fellow (state of)Minnesotan Walt Walters (the designer of your two Donzis) raced this very same boat in the 1963 edition of the Cowes Torquay. As far I know we are the only two Minnesotans to Race the famous classic race and to do it in the very same boat 52 years apart makes it very unique event.

You should come to the 2016 event. You will have a great time.
    The photos are from Dave Orminson and Graham Stevens.1391604_10151785020841961_1014509597_n.jpg12032259_10153151253501961_281444296436599336_n.jpgWalt (Small).JPGDSC02003.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/BritishPowe...type=3&theater

Jeff

Jeff, you've done some very cool sh*t ! !
    For me , just going out on a pre '71 Bertram 31 of any model is like a trip back in time and history . To have done a recent day race in a 31 like that .. too cool .
    You would no doubt recall the 31 Express that Lady Aitken once raced , well I had an uncle who owned the exact model here back in the very early 70's . The only one that ever came here , and we once claimed to have more Bertrams per square mile than anywhere else on earth.

Just out of interest , what was the power and how fast was it .

(Apologies for possible thread de-rail)
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Cool

Cool Jeff. That shot of you and Walt is special.

Quote Originally Posted by HallJ View Post
    Yes! That is it.

For 2015 I raced on board "Thunderstreak" a 31' Bertram. It is special boat for me, because my friend and fellow (state of)Minnesotan Walt Walters (the designer of your two Donzis) raced this very same boat in the 1963 edition of the Cowes Torquay. As far I know we are the only two Minnesotans to Race the famous classic race and to do it in the very same boat 52 years apart makes it very unique event.

The photos are from Dave Orminson and Graham Stevens.1391604_10151785020841961_1014509597_n.jpg12032259_10153151253501961_281444296436599336_n.jpgWalt (Small).JPGDSC02003.jpg

Jeff
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Jeff, you've done some very cool sh*t ! !
    For me , just going out on a pre '71 Bertram 31 of any model is like a trip back in time and history . To have done a recent day race in a 31 like that .. too cool .
    You would no doubt recall the 31 Express that Lady Aitken once raced , well I had an uncle who owned the exact model here back in the very early 70's . The only one that ever came here , and we once claimed to have more Bertrams per square mile than anywhere else on earth.

Just out of interest , what was the power and how fast was it .

(Apologies for possible thread de-rail)
    The Bertram has 460s on V drives.
    46 MPH is about all it will go.
    My friend Ole Fineholt joined us from Norway. He owns the 42ft Chief "Warpath" race boat.
    It was an international effort.

Jeff

Jeff, I love that picture w/Sonny Levy in it.
    I'm sometimes envious of your outings to Britain every year,
    but I wonder what my back would feel like the next day!
    I doubt if Sonny takes a ride, and he's only about 15 years older than I am.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Same boat?

Same boat Jeff? from a 1964 article

Quote Originally Posted by HallJ View Post
    Yes! That is it.

Jeff
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

Hi Bert. That one is Surfrider of the Gardner brothers. There's footage from AP on the youtubes from '63. I'll dig it up. Thread successfully derailed.
    Sorry Belgian friend.

Jeff

Successful derail
    the 31 in early racing version. I really love it !
    Warpath vs Martini, that's a big match too.

Thread Information