Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: padded bottom

padded bottom

I am thinking of doing a padded bottom on my 18 donzi. I have a Blackhawk drive and supercharged motor and was wondering if anyone has done this I so picks and advice would be great thanks craig.

Don't extend it below the orginal bottom of the hull ( radius ) simply go left and right about 4" and travel forward about 4'. Get tabs ( longer ) to support the hull. Make the transition at the transom sharp like knife. Fair the entry of the pad in slowly at the bow end. It will end up being about 5/8" off of the hull left and right at most extreme.

Here is a link from 5 centurys ago ...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ighlight=bench
    Last edited by Lenny; 09-30-2015 at 02:19 AM.

Lenny do you make the pad yourself or do you buy and install it. I have the man who builds tuff boats here in Cambridge Ontario who is wanting to do the work,I hope on it but I would like to no more about it first thanks craig.

I did this to my 16 around 30 or so years ago. It also had a step..Edimage.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Donnelly View Post
    I did this to my 16 around 30 or so years ago....
    Ed, it's understood that a pad is better for top end speed and possibly getting to plane more quickly. My questions are... how much did that pad affect the rough water performance of the 16? Was there much more "pounding" on re-entry? How about cornering?

Regarding the "step" how deep from the transom was it? What was the net effect of this step?

Thanks,
    S.
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Lenny was right about extending the tabs as you can see how far I extended mine. Don't remember the length of the step but you can see it in the pics.
    Ride is rougher and re entry was an experience.

Doing it Lenny's way is a much better idea than the way I did it, but, when mine was done, not many people had tried it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ed- How big was that prop????
    And which "summer" were these pictures taken?

Lenny- whatever happened to that yellow X-18?
    1967 Ski Sporter (sold)
    2004 40th Anniversary Edition 18

These pictures are valuable.

Easier viewing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Ed those picks are classic that sure looks like a great white north. So how do you put this on do you buy it or make it.I think this is what I would like to do to take my boat to the next level.

do you have to cut the hull out to put this delta pad in or is there another way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Donnelly View Post
    I did this to my 16 around 30 or so years ago. It also had a step..Ed
    That's not a step. It is a notch ..........at the transom. In general, a "pad" on these hull are a waste of time and money.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by craigdskilling View Post
    do you have to cut the hull out to put this delta pad in or is there another way.
    That's not a delta pad. It is a raised pad.

The pad on the 18 adds speed and carries the hull higher. There are two running here from my molds back in the day and they rock better than the stock 18. They ride noticeably higher. One runs low 60's with a 305 and an Alpha. The other is a wild 383 stroker and it is just nutz anyway.

Gregg, sorry about your experience with the " pad". Obviously you did something different.

Kirby, it's still in my shop waiting for me to retire in the next few weeks...

Craig, in your case I'd " add " it to the bottom. Mine was done to a donor X-18 while upside down and that became a new mold with the pad incorporated. It does NOT extend below the original radius bottom of the hull. Merely left and right of it, horizontal, then vertical to meet the original hull, and then fairs forward to nothing, running out to the original.

"I " like the way they run with it and I have two other original 18's from which to judge from.

Make something removable and add an adhesive that is not permanent. I think you will like the results. ( if you mimmick mine )
    Last edited by Lenny; 09-30-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jl1962 View Post
    Ed- How big was that prop????
    And which "summer" were these pictures taken?

Lenny- whatever happened to that yellow X-18?
    No idea what the size of the prop was, but, I think the person I soild it to might still have it.Will check in the next couple of days.
    Those were my kids from my 3rd wife and Taylor the youngest looks to be around 5, so, that would make the pic from around 1978-79. ..Ed

Quote Originally Posted by craigdskilling View Post
    I have the man who builds tuff boats here in Cambridge Ontario who is wanting to do the work..............
    Is that man John S ?

Thread Information