Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Donzi 16 Timeline - The Boats Built During 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Yep, I have all those photos. So do you think that this boat is the same boat that Brownie dragged up to the Jax boat show that Friday the 13th?
    not sure as of yet

pretty sure only one 16 was used and appears in all of the early ads and press photos appears in the first brochure which came around in early 65

the only difference I see between that boat and the boat that Jim Wynne is in in the side by side shots is the speedo they both have the dash stripe and the aq200. I would think that Donzi had no photographer on their staff that any pics taken would be done by their PR company. Once the shots are taken I would imagine getting the magazine or newspaper flats out to the publishers was the job one. Job two would be to get the brochure layouts done and off to the printer. Brownie confirms he didn't have the first 4 page 16 brochure in Jax.

So back in 64 how long did it take to develop the film, get the typeset and logo letterhead all into a magazine or newspaper flat with pics?
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    not sure as of yet

So back in 64 how long did it take to develop the film, get the typeset and logo letterhead all into a magazine or newspaper flat with pics?
    That would not take long. Maximum two weeks to accomplish this end to end. It was not like they needed the photo in hand to start to write copy. They would know what physical size the photo would be in advance, and then just plug it in to the layout and ship it to Motorboating by November 1, for the magazines December issue.

At the absolute earliest, figure the photo shoot and copy would have been done between October 1, and October 15, 1964 then mailed off to the folks at the Magazine.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

the font , wording and layout all look consistent with future releases and I would say that ad came complete from the PR Co. less the Donzi breakthrough headline which was done by the magazine.

so no one from Fla can give any info on the No. Miami Beach 62 thingy?? some kind of postal zone/ward???

again in all of this no mention about the availability of the ford eaton combo
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I think I forgot two boats to make it an even dozen ...............

The Muncey 16 that was given as a gift

and Sam Ballingers 16, white with a blue deck stripe and blue waterline stripe

1964 Donzi Ski Sporter,

Unmolested, and as it came from the factory
    Hull DM988 (#4?), 47 hours on Hobbs meter
    Power is 165hp Ford V-8 interceptor, I/O drive is Eaton unit, Engine Runs Great, as does Eaton drive
    Have owned for 10 years and used 6 times , Cushions good not new. Needs plastic cover for rear light.
    Trailer in Good shape.

Price $11,000.00 obo
    Contact Ballinger@resolutelaw.com
    Cell 813-401-9018813-401-9018 (9am-5pm EST

The Muncey 16 had no floor vent a sign of being a much later build

Sam's 16 is a VERY EARLY ONE FOR SURE AND IT IS IN GREAT SHAPE AND WELL CARED FOR but some clues can been seen in the pics that those are not the original colors and some work has been done over it's lifetime.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

The Muncey 16 had no floor vent a sign of being a much later build

Sam's 16 is a VERY EARLY ONE FOR SURE AND IT IS IN GREAT SHAPE AND WELL CARED FOR but some clues can been seen in the pics that those are not the original colors and some work has been done over it's lifetime.
    I agree, the Muncey boat is off the list of candidates.

Sam Ballinger seems to be the only guy with a potential '64 build that also has DM988 as a HIN to identify the hull. How does DM988 square with records?

I agree, the Muncey boat is off the list of candidates.

Sam Ballinger seems to be the only guy with a potential '64 build that also has DM988 as a HIN to identify the hull. How does DM988 square with records?

Greg it doesn't unless you believe that there was time travel or being able to see the future. In 1964 there are no HINS the HIN doesn't happen until 1972 that number was probably given to DMV when Sam bought the boat 10 yrs ago or if the boat changed hands post 1972. I am not up on Fla reg laws they might be a title state prior to that and it could be a title number but that number doesn't jive with any known HIN format or known records.

But that said the boat is a VERY EARLY ONE FOR SURE IT IS IN GREAT SHAPE it could be a 64 or a VERY EARLY 65 it COULD ALSO BE POSSIBLE THAT THIS BOAT IS ALREADY ON YOUR LIST but had it colors changed
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I agree with that as well, Matty. I had asked Sam to climb in the boat and look and see if there were any grease pencil markings under the deck when he first put the boat up for sale. He was a good older guy and happy to oblige. There was nothing under there so the DM988 is just a number that got stuffed into DMV as you say. I do think, however, that Sam's boat was a 1964 build so I am going to add it to the list.

Matty, you simply must track down Frank Civitano next. His Dad's old boat is a big piece of the 1964 build puzzle. Not only would he rack his brain on the Grumble Green solid color with Lucan Red deck stripe but I guarantee that he would remember exactly what drive was on the back. I know you can find anyone in the Donzi eco-system. Make Pearson go knock on his door in South Jersey. Send a pack of 1964 sniffing dogs to his yard. I lost track of Frank after I got spit out of my 16 a couple years back and was jacked on painkillers for way toooooooo long.

All that I have in my old notes is that Frank C (aka Shanghied Again) is alive and he is living somewhere in Southern New Jersey. Below is his post ...........

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
    My Dad new Don well back in the old days when he used to be a builder. I wish I still had our 1st Green and Red striped Donzi 16 that Don talked my father into buying in 1964. She wasn't the fastest, but it was only the 4th or 5th made. He was a fun guy, that I remember. I was only 14 and the last time I seen him was when I was 17.

Greg

what thread is the quote you have from Frank from???
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

June 15, 1964
    – Waltman Walters refines, re-draws, and documents the stability rails (or lifting strakes) for the 16 Ski Sporter hull bottom for the now operational Donzi

Greg

where does this drawing show the inner lifting strakes?
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

some names you may want to research Greg

Jim Hardie Miami Herald

Sal Maugeri Photographer
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Greg, what thread is the quote you have from Frank from???
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond
    June 15, 1964 – Waltman Walters refines, re-draws, and documents the stability rails (or lifting strakes) for the 16 Ski Sporter hull bottom for the now operational Donzi
    Greg, where does this drawing show the inner lifting strakes?
    some names you may want to research Greg.......Jim Hardie Miami Herald, Sal Maugeri Photographer
    I have the exact thread from Frank Civitano in my archives but your task Matty is to track him down live and have a chat about his Grumble Green '64. I never used the word "inner" when referring to the drawings.
    Inner is your word. The lifting strakes are clearly reflected in Walts drawing. Yes, I already have information in my archive on both Jim and Sal. Sal is a well known guy btw. Jim, not so much but was cool in others ways.

I have the exact thread from Frank Civitano in my archives but your task Matty is to track him down live and have a chat about his Grumble Green '64. I never used the word "inner" when referring to the drawings.
    Inner is your word. The lifting strakes are clearly reflected in Walts drawing. Yes, I already have information in my archive on both Jim and Sal. Sal is a well known guy btw. Jim, not so much but was cool in others ways.

Greg

why can't you answer a simple question, what thread is that from It sounds like a thread where they are talking about Don and it may give us some more info. You really are starting to rub me the wrong way you bitch and moan about me scanning stuff and yet you won't answer a simple question?? yeah not feeling the love

I mention Sal cause he took the pictures of the 16s ( brownie and wynne)and John Crouse had gotten his library when Sal passed If the library can be found it may have some dates on the pics

Jim wrote an article on Don late 63 very early 64 for the Miami Herald's outdoor section in the time frame that Formula was on it's way out and Donzi was coming about. I can't find the articlle so maybe you have it in your archive. That article may shed some light.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

some more reading for those newer members BIG BAD DONZI is Mike Aronow

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...assic-Question