Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Donzi 16 Timeline - The Boats Built During 1964

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    MC
    my wife can relate to that story she said no way in hell would she be in a 16 without a grab rail when I gave her the wheel she was like oh yeah this is so much better sitting down with the wheel to hold on to.

I think I was forgetting about the lack of grab rail thingy , still a little '110hp' four banger in a 16 by today's standards would be like a bicycle with training wheels on it .

Mind you , I recall my first (and only ) ride in an 18 at the '93 MIBS that had the new 351 OMC/Volvo SX in it . Rail or not I was very glad to step back on the dock afterwards !
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

while people work on the drive question I will try and get an idea when the press shoot was and seems people like to look at old stuff so enjoy

the press shoot must have been taken before nov of 64 as seen here in the original lay out also note they don't list any other power options and only offer wonder white hulls there is no mention of any race wins except that of the wyn-mil II

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pdfs/skisportlit.pdf

then sometime in 1965 that brochure is worked down to a 2 page flyer and now lists the wyn-mil records and also all of the 1965 Team Donzi records including pics of Fred's boat and his records sorry page one and 2 are of the dink look at page 3 and 4 you can see they used some of the pics from the first brochure and added a few new ones still only volvo power and wonder white hulls

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pdfs/dink16.pdf

then look at the first st tropez brochure basically the same layout as the original 16 layout but done sometime in 65 as it also lists the most current 1965 race results I would imagine this brochure and the 16 re work ed brochure were done at the same time . So who has the dates for these races?

Morgan's Cloud should like this

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pdfs/19flyer.pdf
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

then look at the first st tropez brochure basically the same layout as the original 16 layout but done sometime in 65 as it also lists the most current 1965 race results I would imagine this brochure and the 16 re work ed brochure were done at the same time . So who has the dates for these races?

Morgan's Cloud should like this

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pdfs/19flyer.pdf
    Matty , I've seen that brochure before .. is that an Eaton on that one ? The deck hardware is all like mine but the reason I ask is because when I replaced my transom a very clever repair utilizing a plug and glasswork had been done way before and there was something else there under the glass skins that was not a match for the Merc cutout and I never figured out what it was . Mine was sold to me as a 66 by the way and I know for sure that the 351 that was in it was only 10 or so years old.
    Oh , how these threads move around .. lol
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

yes eaton big round cutout
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

another note later in 1965-67 Eaton used the Volvo aq 200 and put their name on it this was also done by Holman Moody Marine and Chrysler Marine at some point in time after eaton did it. This as no bearing on this discussion just a clarification to Morgan's Cloud that besides the spin up off eaton an early donzi could have an eaton by volvo drive which would have a standard aq 200-280 cutout.
    Jay Lurie's and My 16 were like this my 16 was repowered by Holman Moody the paper work said eaton replacement but there were no signs of glass work the volvo 250 bolted right up Jay's drive had all the eaton paperwork and ran for about 40 yrs before it blew a lower he used the lower off my 250.
    but i digress

no aswer on the drives yet?
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Sorry - thought it was a rhetorical question.

1 looks like Eaton
    2 definitely Volvo
    And neither of these is the Teknikens boat.

Question - weren't Formula Jrs using an early Merc I/O?
    Or was that in the later '60s boats?
    1967 Ski Sporter (sold)
    2004 40th Anniversary Edition 18

Merc had an 888 drive pre alpha I believe Forrest here has a 302 FSB merc 888 drive. early 70s boat

Jay yes that is they way I see it too.

white and green boat true spin up eaton

white red boat volvo aq200
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I'm thinking of the 1966 Mercruiser KICK ad w/ the blue/white junior.
    1967 Ski Sporter (sold)

Jay not sure I would think Karl was not going to get out done by anyone
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

1967 Ski Sporter (sold)

man that's a small picture i guess the kick never really made it no 45 yr old drives still around

can I get a yumpin yiminey for the robust engineering of the Swedes
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

for the doubting Thomas sorry my daughter took back her scanner printer so you have to use my pics which are usually fuzzy

HULL 0 prototype powered by a 110 hp volvo and what must be an aq100 the boat is wonder white and stripes unkown no grab rail

from The King of Thunderboat Row by Michael Aronow a book any Donzi fan must have they were selling for near $500 now at around $125 on Amazon

notice the painted donzi reference and look at the 28 race boat DONZI 28 on the rear gunwales the hornet that Brownie raced had DONZI 19 on the rear gunwales these are some of the first Donzi ever built so it makes total sense when the first 16 came out they would paint Donzi on it
    Ok thanks for posting the content. I went boating yesterday and while hunkered down to find my phone for a temperature reading (yes, it does say 70 degrees) I was thinking about Michael Aronow's creative test drive description. The first thing that came to mind was that he must have actually been a dwarf as there aint no way anyone can get lost in the "bottom" or floor of a 16 Ski Sporter.

Now, of greater importance is that Michael's description discloses nothing about what specific model drive was attached to Donzi 16 hull #1. It says only that it had a Volvo 110 engine in there. Now, if you believe Alan Brown's recollection that the boat at the Jacksonville show was the FIRST 200 lower unit but the 3rd or 4th 16 hull built then I think we have some better context.

Mike A - #1 -- Volvo 110 motor (drive unknown but Matty believes it could have been a 100)
    Alan Brown driving # 2 green stripe with an Eaton drive in the color photos
    Jim Wynne driving # 3 red stripe with a Volvo drive in the color pics and the black and white press pics
    Alan Brown again with # 4, (chritina blue deck stripe) the Jax showboat with the first Volvo 200 drive ( Mercury took great pains to try and get a close-up look at the brand new 200 drive)

As a useless side note, the 100 lower units would have been faster than a 200 drive as the 100 profile that was dragged through the water was slimmer than the 200
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Greg

the red and white boat you posted pics of has an AQ200 on it with Jim Wynne at the wheel what hull do say this is?

What I am calling hull zero was the prototype and had Donzi painted on it like the race boats all we know is the deck was white it had no grab rail and a 110hp volvo the production boats only had the script I would imagine that would be hard to read as Don drove by at 40 mph

there are so many if's here let's just focus on what hull you think the red and white hull with the aq200 and Wynne at the wheel is????
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Well, here is how I'm looking at it. If you believe Alan Brown is accurate in his recollection that the boat he was personally next to in the booth at the Jacksonville Boat Show on November 13, 1964 was ......

a. Wonder White with a Christina Blue deck stripe
    b. The first AQ200 drive in the USA
    c. Probably the 3rd or 4th 16 Ski Sporter hull built

than ...... the only way to further verify where the 16 with Lucan Red deck stripe Jim Wynn is driving (with the AQ 200 drive on the back) falls into my "64 Time Line" is to get a date on the same boat that is in the Black and White press photo shoot. Those two pictures are of the same boat and drive, correct? Brownie is pretty darn good with details but AGAIN the dude is 81 years old and we are asking him to remember something that occurred 50 years ago.

Matty, did you find out about what date the press shoot occurred yet, or are you still working on that piece?

Probably important factoid and if I missed that my apologies as I've been more interested in getting out on The Mule!

ps: ran an OFX4 prop yesterday day. Traction and grip on that SS sucker was like my studded Hakka's. Absolutely epic in big water. But I digress .......again.

showed Brownie the el camino pic from above an he said that is the Jax show boat but he used his Lincoln to get it there. So I would say they used the show boat for the press shoot the wonder white and blue stripes.

I would also say that they knew with the success of the 233 that they needed multiple molds to maximize production. I would think they had 3-4 molds ready to go and it would make sense to pop 3 in all 3 colors red green and blue to start.

If you read the Brownie bite I posted they knew the formula ( punn intended that's Brownie's joke gotta give credit where credit is due) win the races in the fall and sell the **** out of them in the next year just like they did with the 233. so in oct nov they gear up for the upcoming sales year get the pics have the brochures and flyers made but it is early they only list the winns of the wyn-mil II and only mention the volvo as power for the 16 in the original literature but then in 1965 they re work it to include the Donzi wins and Fred's wins in all the brochures. on the fly I suspect they used what ever power they could get their hands on

also in thet Brownie bite he mentions getting the 200 at first was not easy between the start up of a new drive . plus I have to add the month long longshoremen's strike getting imports into the country was a much longer process than normal.
    Matty, I always find it good to go back through the thread from the start. In doing so, I have a question around the stuff I highlighted in yellow above. Did you contact Brownie just last week? Or is this something that Alan Brown conveyed to you many years ago when he was active on this forum? The wording is confusing. Thanks.

Thread Information