Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Donzi 16 Timeline - The Boats Built During 1964

Looking at the visual clues in this ad, how do we square the specific 16 hull into the 1964 build timeline?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Greg
    that pic is from the BW original press release it featured that pic and pics of the bottom pics of the top with without the cover and with the zip out open That boat is the biggest piece of the puzzle the shoot also has it on a trailer behind the el camino and without the el camino on the lift hanging by the steering wheel these pics are used for the original release of sales literature

THIS IS HULL ONE the first ever donzi 16 and it is equipped with AN AQ 200
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Is the color on it wonder white with a grumble green deck stripe and a waterline stripe Matty?

Not sure haven't found a color pic of it which probably doesn't exist it was most likely shot in b w I would image the original colors would all look black in b w pics the hull is white the more I look this is hull one
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Agree a color picture would really help. Question for you. How does the wonder white with Red deck stripe only 16 that was tested in the July 21, 1965 issue of Teknikens Varld fit then into the 1964 build timeline?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Agree a color picture would really help. Question for you. How does the wonder white with Red deck stripe only 16 that was tested in the July 21, 1965 issue of Teknikens Varld fit then into the 1964 build timeline?

I don't think it does I think it is a 65
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

let's try this

Sept 1964 hull one is popped from the mold it is all wonder white with boot and deck stripes in one of 3 available colors Lucan red, Christina Blue or Grumble green it has no vents or grab rail it has the donzi script and the USA pennant and the Swedish Flag. It's deck stripe doesn't stop at the cockpit lip it continues down the dash . The gauges are cut directly into dash It is powered by the new Volvo Penta 110 hp AQ200 drive The power and drive that the 16 has been built for with LH rotation that fits the helm location and is monetarily beneficial to one of it's designers Jim Wynne he is involved with Volvo .

Once it is popped from the mold a press shoot is arranged and several BW press photos are taken and used for flyers brochures and ads. the pics show a few top side shots with and without the cover one of her bottom and a few on the trailer. the shot of her bottom shows the new deep v design with full length outer strakes and long inner strakes that end about 2 feet from the transom.

After the photo shoot the boat is water tested and it is found that the AQ200 doesn't like the disturbed turbulent water that it is running in caused by the long inner strakes. A redesign is put in motion 2 other hulls in the other two colors are in progress and maybe one or two others as well some of these hulls may be powered by other drives that are LH the eaton or the older volvo 100 series these other boats are rigged and either sold or used as demo ( one of these is Fred Darwicks boat in DEC 64)

time frame unknown at this point

to help trouble shoot the issue a short strake 16 is sent to sweden and is tested by Volvo they want to make sure it is the strakes and not any thing else like thru drive exhaust so they run thru hull exhaust on the 4 cyl the first setup of this kind.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    let's try this

Sept 1964 hull one is popped from the mold it is all wonder white with boot and deck stripes in one of 3 available colors Lucan red, Christina Blue or Grumble green it has no vents or grab rail it has the donzi script and the USA pennant and the Swedish Flag. It's deck stripe doesn't stop at the cockpit lip it continues down the dash . The gauges are cut directly into dash It is powered by the new Volvo Penta 110 hp AQ200 drive The power and drive that the 16 has been built for with LH rotation that fits the helm location and is monetarily beneficial to one of it's designers Jim Wynne he is involved with Volvo .

Once it is popped from the mold a press shoot is arranged and several BW press photos are taken and used for flyers brochures and ads. the pics show a few top side shots with and without the cover one of her bottom and a few on the trailer. the shot of her bottom shows the new deep v design with full length outer strakes and long inner strakes that end about 2 feet from the transom.

After the photo shoot the boat is water tested and it is found that the AQ200 doesn't like the disturbed turbulent water that it is running in caused by the long inner strakes. A redesign is put in motion 2 other hulls in the other two colors are in progress and maybe one or two others as well some of these hulls may be powered by other drives that are LH the eaton or the older volvo 100 series these other boats are rigged and either sold or used as demo ( one of these is Fred Darwicks boat in DEC 64)

time frame unknown at this point

to help trouble shoot the issue a short strake 16 is sent to sweden and is tested by Volvo they want to make sure it is the strakes and not any thing else like thru drive exhaust so they run thru hull exhaust on the 4 cyl the first setup of this kind.

Matty, I can see many pieces making sense in what you wrote above. The one major piece I can't reconcile though is that Alan Brown indicated that the AQ200 was installed in the 3rd or 4th 16 Ski Sporter hull built. That guy has a reputation for remembering things. The only other guy still alive that would have possible insight is Waltman Walters.

Btw, I neglected to answer your earlier question about why I had Eaton in the opening time stamp of my build time-line. The answer to that is ......... I actually can't remember! Give me a day or two to dig it up.

Matty, what drive is on the back of this 16 pictured below?

It could be an EATON.......
    IMG_2005.jpg
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

a true Eaton kick up spin up ( you can barely see the control cables coming from the top triangle) with it looks like Brownie driving so I would say that pic is from the shoot with him and Jim running side by side.

remember you can go aq 200 to eaton with a sawzall but not the other way
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

showed Brownie the el camino pic from above an he said that is the Jax show boat but he used his Lincoln to get it there. So I would say they used the show boat for the press shoot the wonder white and blue stripes.

I would also say that they knew with the success of the 233 that they needed multiple molds to maximize production. I would think they had 3-4 molds ready to go and it would make sense to pop 3 in all 3 colors red green and blue to start.

If you read the Brownie bite I posted they knew the formula ( punn intended that's Brownie's joke gotta give credit where credit is due) win the races in the fall and sell the **** out of them in the next year just like they did with the 233. so in oct nov they gear up for the upcoming sales year get the pics have the brochures and flyers made but it is early they only list the winns of the wyn-mil II and only mention the volvo as power for the 16 in the original literature but then in 1965 they re work it to include the Donzi wins and Fred's wins in all the brochures. on the fly I suspect they used what ever power they could get their hands on

also in thet Brownie bite he mentions getting the 200 at first was not easy between the start up of a new drive . plus I have to add the month long longshoremen's strike getting imports into the country was a much longer process than normal.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

woobs

the last pic of the eaton you posted that drive isn't gonna kick up spin up or spin off.

A member here posted about one spinning up then spinning off the boat underway leaving a big hole in the boat

not sure who that was
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

So the 1964 builds seem to be shaping up as .................

#1 - White w/Grumble Green deck stripe and Eaton drive as shown in photo
    #2 - White w/Lucan Red deck and waterline stripe and Volvo 200 drive
    #3 - White w/Lucan Red deck stripe only and Volvo 100 drive (Swede Thomas Ronnberg owner)
    #4 - Solid Grumble Green w/ Lucan Red deck stripe - Drive unknown ( NJ Frank Civitano's Father owner after Michael Aronow)
    #5 - White w/Cristina Blue deck stripe and Volvo 200 drive - (Alan Brown Jax show boat)
    #6 - White w/Grumble Green deck stripe and special 3" longer Volvo 100 drive - (Fred Darwick owner)
    #7 - White w/Blue deck stripe and special Volvo 100 drive - (Fred Darwick assisted in the sale, buyer could have been Bob Cox Lauderdale Marine)
    #8 - Mystery puzzle piece member-- Joe _ _ _ _ from Miami races a 16 Classic
    #9 - January 1965 New York Boat Show 16
    #10 - Second New York Boat Show 16

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    So the 1964 builds seem to be shaping up as .................

#1 - White w/Grumble Green deck stripe and Eaton drive as shown in photo
    #2 - White w/Lucan Red deck and waterline stripe and Volvo 200 drive
    #3 - White w/Lucan Red deck stripe only and Volvo 100 drive (Swede Thomas Ronnberg owner)
    #4 - Solid Grumble Green w/ Lucan Red deck stripe - Drive unknown ( NJ Frank Civitano's Father owner after Michael Aronow)
    #5 - White w/Cristina Blue deck stripe and Volvo 200 drive - (Alan Brown Jax show boat)
    #6 - White w/Grumble Green deck stripe and special 3" longer Volvo 100 drive - (Fred Darwick owner)
    #7 - White w/Blue deck stripe and special Volvo 100 drive - (Fred Darwick assisted in the sale, buyer could have been Bob Cox Lauderdale Marine)
    #8 - Mystery puzzle piece member-- Joe _ _ _ _ from Miami races a 16 Classic
    #9 - January 1965 New York Boat Show 16
    #10 - Second New York Boat Show 16

1&2 Greg what info do you have on the hull number 1 and 2 to support this ?? isn't the jax boat show the first 200 drive in the country? you have # 2 with a 200

#4 an all grumble green boat built in 64 is highly suspect it is an early 65 boat The early hornets were all green yes but they had a much bigger price tag and took 3x as long to produce. The delivery time on a hornet is 12 weeks so i would say besides the race 19s all the first hornets are 65s as are the St Ts

#3 Tomron boat is the teknikens boat isn't it????

#8 what race?

9&10 what info do you have on two boats at the nyc show???

where would you put the hull rework into this and what boats are long straked and short straked?

I think this list is about 4-5 hulls high

the 16 donzi hornet ????? motor boating you had one job really????
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information