Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Donzi 16 Timeline - The Boats Built During 1964

I'll look more later as I'm going out on the boat now but here is one photo that Samuel Ballinger of Tampa sent me of under the deck of his '64 boat. Not exactly the clearest grease markings. I'll scrub my drives tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    I had asked Sam to climb in the boat and look and see if there were any grease pencil markings under the deck when he first put the boat up for sale. He was a good older guy and happy to oblige. There was nothing under there so the DM988 is just a number that got stuffed into DMV as you say.
    don't think that is anything but grease or dirt should have asked him for the interceptor serial number

I am only calling this hull 4 cause it is the next boat that can be documented in the timeline where it finally comes to rest in that timeline remains to be seen.

early boat with a grab rail let's look at the grab rail as a defining time mark it would put this boat after hull 3 and after Mike A's test ride
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I'll look more later as I'm going out on the boat now but here is one photo that Samuel Ballinger of Tampa sent me of under the deck of his '64 boat. Not exactly the clearest grease markings. I'll scrub my drives tonight.
    Those marks could almost be anything , but what I find most interesting is what appears to be chop strand glass clearly visible.
    I've never seen any Donzi classic of any vintage with that stuff visible . (Of course it would have been used somewhere in the construction , but not seen . )
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Found a couple more photos after a great afternoon on the water with a sunny 54 degrees. One pic is a close-up of that backside of Sam B's 16 dash, the other is the front. If you blow up the photo and look closely you can see that the Christina Blue deck stripe looks to run down the dash. At least that is what I see but it might be playing tricks on me. The blue stripe seems to be hidden under a piece of tape/cloth when it hits the dash.

Found a couple more photos after a great afternoon on the water with a sunny 54 degrees. One pic is a close-up of that backside of Sam B's 16 dash, the other is the front. If you blow up the photo and look closely you can see that the Christina Blue deck stripe looks to run down the dash. At least that is what I see but it might be playing tricks on me. The blue stripe seems to be hidden under a piece of tape/cloth when it hits the dash.
    Greg

that's not Christina blue that's Barbados blue the lighter blue they used later in 65 -66 it is also not the original stripe the entire boat has been painted and the newer classic stripe parameters were used the stripe is to wide and the boot stripe is tapered. the new stripe does appear to go down the dash . I was contacted by a LGDCC member interested in the boat to help decipher serial numbers. the boat as been looked at so I am not really going to say a lot more on this boat trying not to interfere the block was cast june 29 1964 . But as I have said before that doesn't mean the boat is a 64 you have other time points final ford assembly, then eaton assembly, sale , then installation . It is very common for previous years engines installed in the current model year.

this is Christina blue

Greg now your task is to discover if this boat has be double dipped in your dirty dozen count it is not the original color and very well could be in your count under a different color. you will also find that some of the info i have given that you say is non pertinent to this time line is VERY pertinent . But hey your have a firm grasp on all of this WTF do I know
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    Greg

that's not Christina blue that's Barbados blue the lighter blue they used later in 65 -66 it is also not the original stripe the entire boat has been painted and the newer classic stripe parameters were used the stripe is to wide and the boot stripe is tapered. the new stripe does appear to go down the dash . I was contacted by a LGDCC member interested in the boat to help decipher serial numbers. the boat as been looked at so I am not really going to say a lot more on this boat trying not to interfere the block was cast june 29 1964 . But as I have said before that doesn't mean the boat is a 64 you have other time points final ford assembly, then eaton assembly, sale , then installation . It is very common for previous years engines installed in the current model year.

this is Christina blue

Greg now your task is to discover if this boat has be double dipped in your dirty dozen count it is not the original color and very well could be in your count under a different color. you will also find that some of the info i have given that you say is non pertinent to this time line is VERY pertinent . But hey your have a firm grasp on all of this WTF do I know
    Looks like it's off the list master blaster. 11 and counting. Now go look up Frank C, my back hurts from carrying you along this path

Not sure btw why you want to turn this into a spat session either, but hey.........let's play

Looks like it's off the list master blaster. 11 and counting. Now go look up Frank C, my back hurts from carrying you along this path

Greg that's not what I am saying the boat is a very early 16 with a grab rail. It's not confirmed if it IS or IS NOT a 64 . I am pretty busy working on this example think maybe you should try and find Frank. Sorry I am such a burden to this discussion
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    Greg that's not what I am saying the boat is a very early 16 with a grab rail. It's not confirmed if it IS or IS NOT a 64 . I am pretty busy working on this example think maybe you should try and find Frank. Sorry I am such a burden to this discussion
    Matty, you asked me to post what pictures I had of Sam's 16 to see if there were any clues. I was happy to do that. Then, once I do, you ridicule me. Go back and read your own posts. Do you want to have a constructive conversation about something or do you want to keep poking each other to the point where nothing get's accomplished for the boats that you love? You can't have it both ways. So, for the second time .......... I lay out the olive branch and apologize in front of the 10 people who are left on this board if I have done anything to you. You owe me the same.

Stripes into the dash/gauge panel can be added too. On this early boat, it was clearly added.

DSC01395.jpg
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Matty, you asked me to post what pictures I had of Sam's 16 to see if there were any clues. I was happy to do that. Then, once I do, you ridicule me. Go back and read your own posts. Do you want to have a constructive conversation about something or do you want to keep poking each other to the point where nothing get's accomplished for the boats that you love? You can't have it both ways. So, for the second time .......... I lay out the olive branch and apologize in front of the 10 people who are left on this board if I have done anything to you. You owe me the same.
    Greg

please re read your posts the nicknames don't go over well??? sorry if i have offended you done over and out
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thank you for saying sorry. Your apology is accepted. Now off to U2 on HBO.

What a great concert by U2 in Paris. Only outdone by the incredible boating weather here this week. It looks like the first six of the Dirty Dozen are shaping up as ............

1. White with Red deck stripe - Jim Wynne driving - long strakes and shown with AQ200 drive in picture but drive is assumed to be a "Prototype" 200 although no confirmation on that
    2. White with Green deck stripe - Alan Brown pictured driving - Eaton flip up drive
    3. Jacksonville Boat Show boat - White with Blue stripe - first "US Production" AQ200 public release drive. Show was 11/13/64
    4. Sam Ballinger boat - grab rail and Eaton motor and drive. Motor block casting date shows June, 29 1964
    5. Frank Civitano solid green boat. Motor and drive as yet unknown. Built initially for son Michael Aronow but sold to Frank's Dad, a personal friend of Don A's.
    6. Fred Darwick race boat - grab rail and "Special Hot Volvo" performance version 110 motor and special race 100 lower unit. Invoice dated 12/10/1964

Looks good Greg.
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Logged 121 miles today. 68 degrees and dead calm. Can't figure it out, I have never seen Long Island Sound that flat. In any event, while doing research for Donzi's powered by OB's I dug fairly deep into a specific Hornet 19 that was powered by twin wackers and owned/raced by Bob Cox and Ed Joyce on numerous occasions. The Hornet had never been discovered and no one new anything about it. In turn, that led me to Ted Drum, descendant of Bob Cox. That led Ted to tell me that his deceased wife, as a teenager, had driven a 16 into one of her Dad's Lauderdale Marine docks way, way back. I thought all that through, and then checked my notes to confirm that Bob Cox was a dealer for Formula Boats before he moved with Don to become a Donzi dealer and he was.

With that I'm inserting the Bob Cox/Ed Joyce Ski Sporter into the first 6 list ahead of the Darwick boat. Cox was also the guy who was at the Santana Marine test and ran the second 16. More on Cox and Ed Joyce later.

Thread Information