Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Major damage!!!!

Major damage!!!!

Well; I had finally got the classic V- drive Donzi I always wanted in April this year! I've been using it all summer without issues. A few weekends ago, we hit something in the water causing all the damage you see. There is the crack in the transom and along th strake for about 11ft. It is through and through in some spots. So here's my situation now. Insurance has totaled it out at a $18,000 value. I can buy it back for $4000. But, I have no idea what it would cost to actually fix. Not sure if I want to pay the 4k to keep it or just let it go. The current place the boat was towed to gave a rough estimate of 13-16k to fix.

There is another V-drive that I have been considering buying. However the marine survey did not go to well. On the positive side it has a 427 (my current one is a 350). Cosmetically it could you use some work. It has a two-speed powerglide trans...not sure how I feel about that. LOL. The worst part, the transom had moisture readings as high as 100% so I'm sure it needs to be replaced. Asking price is $8500, I would estimate $3000 in cosmetic and minor part replacement. So we're at 11,500. Now what would a transom replacement cost?

So any suggestions on what you would do would be appreciated!

Yes I know there are great deals out there but I'm only interested in 18ft V-drive models.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote, "hit something in the water causing all the damage" ?? Inquiring minds would like too know.

Quote,"Yes I know there are great deals out there but I'm only interested in 18ft V-drive models". Sounds like your mind is already decided.

[QUOTE=tmdog;659215]Quote, "hit something in the water causing all the damage" ?? Inquiring minds would like too know.

Can't say for sure but most likely it was a large log. Didn't have much time to investigate, found the nearest sandy beach I could.
    Attached Images Attached Images

seriously $8500??
    Sincerely,
    Broque
    1971 H/M 18' classic
    351w/Volvo 250
    MTI TA trailer thanks to Dr Dan!

Yes, I have a lanyard
    N/E donzi club member
    My Space

Quote Originally Posted by Moody Blu' View Post
    seriously $8500??

Ya it's up there, one on eBay with a 454 in rougher condition as well sold a few months ago for $6100.

Wow, that's some damage. Sorry to see this happen. If you decide to sell this boat let me know. I would be interested.

Thanks!

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pearson View Post
    Wow, that's some damage. Sorry to see this happen. If you decide to sell this boat let me know. I would be interested.

Thanks!
    What do you think it's worth? In order to retain the boat I have to pay the insurance comany $4,000!!! If I decide I don't want it i'd rather let someone else buy it vs the insurance company scrapping it out.

----So sorry for your loss! Did the boat go down in salt water or fresh???......Bill S

They want 4 grand for a boat that will cost money while it sits in a marina waiting to be crushed (after the marina guys and others strip off what hey want). Is that what they said they would take off your 18 grand check or was that a separate offer? I bet an outsider would get a much better deal. They just want some of their money back.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Quote Originally Posted by 93stangers View Post
    What do you think it's worth? In order to retain the boat I have to pay the insurance comany $4,000!!! If I decide I don't want it i'd rather let someone else buy it vs the insurance company scrapping it out.
    W/o a firm plan, I wouldn't buy it.
    IMHO, for a shop to remove the deck and strip the hull to really
    facilitate the work, you'd be looking at $10K.
    These hulls were laid up in two stages, the outer part of the hull, the stringers added,
    then the inner layup including the stringers. The strake pockets were filled w/putty
    that never quite hardens. The inner part of the layup would have to be ground out,
    and the pockets cleaned out to adequately repair the exterior damage
    (i.e., it must be done from the inside).
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by f_inscreenname View Post
    They want 4 grand for a boat that will cost money while it sits in a marina waiting to be crushed (after the marina guys and others strip off what hey want). Is that what they said they would take off your 18 grand check or was that a separate offer? I bet an outsider would get a much better deal. They just want some of their money back.

They would take it off of the 18,000

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    W/o a firm plan, I wouldn't buy it.
    IMHO, for a shop to remove the deck and strip the hull to really
    facilitate the work, you'd be looking at $10K.
    These hulls were laid up in two stages, the outer part of the hull, the stringers added,
    then the inner layup including the stringers. The strake pockets were filled w/putty
    that never quite hardens. The inner part of the layup would have to be ground out,
    and the pockets cleaned out to adequately repair the exterior damage
    (i.e., it must be done from the inside).

If if it's only going to be 10k to fix I'd actually be better off then I am now with what's left to pay off my loan. I was thinking 13-16k.

Really sorry about your accident. That is some serious damage.

Will the insurance company let you tow it to a couple shops for a repair estimate? I'd be really leery of buying it back, expecting a certain repair cost, unless a couple shops had laid eyes on it. I know the one shop has given you an estimate, but I'd want a 2nd and 3rd opinion. That size of repair can get real costly, real quick.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 93stangers View Post
    If if it's only going to be 10k to fix I'd actually be better off then I am now with what's left to pay off my loan. I was thinking 13-16k.
    $10K is just a number. That would probably be a minimum if you did some of the re-rigging.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    $10K is just a number. That would probably be a minimum if you did some of the re-rigging.
    There's also the possibility of engine damage from being submerged.

On the second one that you found for sale with moisture in the transom, plan on replacing the stringers as well as the core in the transom. once the wood core in the transom is wet it will wick into the strings. You're probably looking at close to $10,000 to replace the core and the stringers if you don't do it yourself. You might get it for a little less but there is always the unforeseen that pops up and they add to the cost of replacing the core and stringers. I just went through this with my 18 and we ended up replacing steering components, new gimbal, did the manifolds and risers since the motor was out, etc., etc., etc. By the time I was done it was right in that neighborhood.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Thread Information