Thread: '73 Holman Moody 18 in MI - anyone know this one?

'73 Holman Moody 18 in MI - anyone know this one?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/5090108752.html

Wondering if anyone has insight on this particular boat? And/or some info on the Holman Moody boats in general (I tried search but my google-fu is weak).

Any info would be appreciated - trying to educate myself on what to look for and what to ask before I start the serious shopping. Much obliged!

Quote Originally Posted by dockrocker View Post
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/5090108752.html

Wondering if anyone has insight on this particular boat? And/or some info on the Holman Moody boats in general (I tried search but my google-fu is weak).

Any info would be appreciated - trying to educate myself on what to look for and what to ask before I start the serious shopping. Much obliged!
    This Donzi is ruff & has been on Detroit's craigslist for over a year as a friend looked at it some time ago. The Volvo drive has a power trim set up that has similarities to what I have made but this one is crude copy.

Thanks - sounds like a pass unless I could get a smoking deal. I would likely look at updating the drive in any case, at least at some point. Speculation, right now at least.

If you want a nice HM Classic there is a good 16C in the Donzi's For Sale section. I know that I had twice as much as Jeff is asking into it when I sold it to him and he has made some good upgrades since then. You can't buy and restore a boat to that condition for what he is asking for it and it is a great running, looking and sounding boat! Nice trailer under it too.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Damn, that is a beautiful boat! I'm really looking for something bigger 18/22, or possibly a Minx, as our local lake (Lake St Clair in MI) is a more like a washing machine than a lake on most weekends. But boy is that yellow sweet!

Damn, that is a beautiful boat! I'm really looking for something bigger 18/22, or possibly a Minx, as our local lake (Lake St Clair in MI) is a more like a washing machine than a lake on most weekends. But boy is that yellow sweet!
    I started boating in a 16' Donzi on Lake St Clair back in 1972, not having twin bucket seats was a real back pain for my passengers. Buy the end of that summer nobody wanted to go out in it. I now have a collection of classic boats Magnums & Donzi's, my X-18 is a big improvement over my 16'.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, LSC is definitely tough on the smaller boats no matter how good the hull. Plus that low freeboard adds to the pucker factor! I used to get beat up in my 29' Powerquest and that boat was not exactly svelte. Shallow water plus big cruisers plowing all over plus freighters and it is a mess out there.

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    I started boating in a 16' Donzi on Lake St Clair back in 1972, not having twin bucket seats was a real back pain for my passengers. Buy the end of that summer nobody wanted to go out in it. I now have a collection of classic boats Magnums & Donzi's, my X-18 is a big improvement over my 16'.
    Thanks for sharing the 16 and X18 photos. The X18 looks like a friends old boat. What kind of outdrive and power? Was the x18 a local boat or from Florida. My friends old boat had a TRS/350 package and was on a float-on trailer. The boat would have been from Ft. lauderdale. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rr1048 View Post
    Thanks for sharing the 16 and X18 photos. The X18 looks like a friends old boat. What kind of outdrive and power? Was the x18 a local boat or from Florida. My friends old boat had a TRS/350 package and was on a float-on trailer. The boat would have been from Ft. lauderdale. Thanks!
    I bought this X-18 from Ralph here on this site. I dont know it's origin but it's always been a fresh water boat. My X-18 has a Volvo drive & Chris Craft 350cu Q engine that has to be a rare engine & drive combination.

Nice looking rides Smidge. That 16 looks a lot like the yellow 16 in the famous air shot that wasn't you was it in that pic?????
    As far a HM stuff goes they may have a cool factor but don't really add much value to resale most power plants are now 40 yrs old so finding a true original one in good shape that hasn't been worked on is tough then add things like risers and pumps to the mix
    IMO it maybe worth more to find a boat in great condition that has been modernized with a nice 383 and a modern drive

smidgen too,
    Your X-18 looks amazing. I have a 1973 X-18 with the 270T outdrive. Do you have any other pictures/info on your modified trim/tilt set up. Looks like the way to go with older volvos.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan

X-18 Hull #76.

Hi Dockrocker,

In the 'Donzis for Sale' section under a thread titled '1987 Donzi Minx- Original Owner' is an ultra clean Minx. I can attest to all of the positives listed in the posts of the various members. The boat has been in the water once this year(I was with him) and we plan to do a daytrip next week weather permitting. The boat is sitting on a tandem trailer at his cottage about 75 miles north of Toronto(5 hours from Windsor,Ontario) and during the winter is stored indoors. It has been professionally maintained since new. You will really appreciate the taller free-board of the Minx in Lake St.CLair

BTW...the Cdn$ is now worth about .75 cents US so there is 25% savings

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    smidgen too,
    Your X-18 looks amazing. I have a 1973 X-18 with the 270T outdrive. Do you have any other pictures/info on your modified trim/tilt set up. Looks like the way to go with older volvos.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan

X-18 Hull #76.
    My X-18 has the 270T drive. The Volvo trim was a nightmare so I removed it & installed my simple trim set up. I have this setup on many of my boats & friends since the mid 70's. his trim uses a Merc trim pump & two Merc Outboard trim cylinders. I use 3" aluminum angle that mounts the cyl to the drive, no brackets mounted to the fiberglass transom. Here are a few pic's to give you a Idea.

smidgen too,
    Thank you for the quick reply. The photos help very much. Agree that your solution is best I've seen yet.
    Don't mean to derail this topic. I may need to PM you for the engineering details. Again, thank you for sharing.

Dan
    X-18, Hull #76

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    You're 16 looks like my old one. My wife complained about her back too. You're X18 is beautiful!

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Thread Information