Thread: Protecting Your New Gas Tank + The Carter Twist

Protecting Your New Gas Tank + The Carter Twist

I think I came up with the following key preservation steps. This is even more important to me as we run in salt water. Anyway, here goes..........corrections welcome!

1. Scotchguard the entire surface of the aluminum tank and remove EVERY BIT OF SHINE on that aluminum.

2. Clean the entire gas tank surface with a mild soap like Dawn, then dry it with a towel and hair dryer.

3. Wipe down the entire tank with Acetone to remove any traces of oil or contaminants.

4. Now prime the bare gas tank with 3 coats of BASF R-MEP789 two part epoxy primer in black. This particular primer has a lot of zinc chromate. Second choice would be Interlux Primocon.

5. Next and final step will be to apply George Carter's coal tar epoxy treatment.
    ....I think this is the stuff...."Epoxy.com Product #216 Coal Tar Epoxy Coating Resin System" is a two component coal tar epoxy coating used to protect steel,
    ....concrete structures, timber, and other construction materials in corrosive environments. In certain applications, only apply to the bottom, sides, and ends of the custom tank.

The above 5 steps are all intended to protect the tank but as important is how you then properly install the tank. Good Luck.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Greg, by George, You've got it!

If Donzi had done ANYTHING at all in the old days, we wouldn't be having these issues.
    One other thing, replace the old drain under the tank w/a new (I increase the size to 1" PVC)
    drain pipe that is epoxied in at both ends. The old connections is where most of the water
    comes from.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

That sounds like it'll do the job.... for a long time!

What about using Line-X / Rhino liner type truck bed liner as a coating? (presumably after steps 1-4) I've run into a couple of people that say this is the ticket and it provides more than prevention of oxidation.
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

For added clarity, I presume you are talking about aluminum tanks, yes? (Not sure it's even possible to have a steel tank built anymore, but...)
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    For added clarity, I presume you are talking about aluminum tanks, yes? (Not sure it's even possible to have a steel tank built anymore, but...)
    Yes Mike.
    I think only aluminum (or aluminium if you're a Brit or Canadian) or HDPE are the only materials permissible.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    That sounds like it'll do the job.... for a long time!

What about using Line-X / Rhino liner type truck bed liner as a coating? (presumably after steps 1-4) I've run into a couple of people that say this is the ticket and it provides more than prevention of oxidation.
    I've been asked this before. It sounds good. All our pickups are lined and it holds up well, particularly when you consider we deliver salt.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Bit of a different animal as they're not belly tanks... but I had this tank made out of stainless steel (and powder coated). They would make anything I wanted.

Oh, fwiw we say "Aluminum" not, "Al-u-minium" like the Brits... and maybe the Aussies...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sean Conroy,

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

I've found that making a tight blanket of beaver pelts works just as good..Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Donnelly View Post
    I've found that making a tight blanket of beaver pelts works just as good..Ed
    Well, it also worked for the "Courier de Bois". (But, they weren't Irish)
    Sean Conroy,

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    Bit of a different animal as they're not belly tanks... but I had this tank made out of stainless steel (and powder coated). They would make anything I wanted.

Oh, fwiw we say "Aluminum" not, "Al-u-minium" like the Brits... and maybe the Aussies...
    Sean, your rules are a bit different than our CG rules. The last time I checked, we could have SST tanks
    up to 10 US gallons. They're tubular like your picture, but w/dish ends. In other words, only two structural
    welds. But who needs a 10 gallon tank?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

The idea of substituting Rhino for Coal Tar is appealing if it does the same thing woobs. Less work and less mess.

I had Rhino in the box of my pick up for 10 years and the tail gate still looked like new..Ed

TTT for the tank of it ..............

Metal prep and alodine would work also for the preparation of the tank prior to epoxy. I’ve been really impressed with the bonding power of alodine on outdrives. Much better than sanding alone.

My tank wa epoxied by the MFGR for $50.00. They initiated the question.
    I was impressed.
    The MFGR was Best Fab http://bestfab.com/ located abouut 50 miles
    south of me in Bartow, FL.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information