I think I came up with the following key preservation steps. This is even more important to me as we run in salt water. Anyway, here goes..........corrections welcome!

1. Scotchguard the entire surface of the aluminum tank and remove EVERY BIT OF SHINE on that aluminum.

2. Clean the entire gas tank surface with a mild soap like Dawn, then dry it with a towel and hair dryer.

3. Wipe down the entire tank with Acetone to remove any traces of oil or contaminants.

4. Now prime the bare gas tank with 3 coats of BASF R-MEP789 two part epoxy primer in black. This particular primer has a lot of zinc chromate. Second choice would be Interlux Primocon.

5. Next and final step will be to apply George Carter's coal tar epoxy treatment.
....I think this is the stuff...."Epoxy.com Product #216 Coal Tar Epoxy Coating Resin System" is a two component coal tar epoxy coating used to protect steel,
....concrete structures, timber, and other construction materials in corrosive environments. In certain applications, only apply to the bottom, sides, and ends of the custom tank.

The above 5 steps are all intended to protect the tank but as important is how you then properly install the tank. Good Luck.