Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Swapping volvo 280 for 270

The tool that drives out the tube is like a seal or bearing driver. Just slightly bigger then the tube. Sorry but without actually doing it I couldn't tell you if there is a shortcut or homemade tool for it.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Quote Originally Posted by f_inscreenname View Post
    The tool that drives out the tube is like a seal or bearing driver. Just slightly bigger then the tube. Sorry but without actually doing it I couldn't tell you if there is a shortcut or homemade tool for it.
    I think I got this. I practiced using a intermediate section from one of my old outdrives. I applied some good heat and was able to softly drive out the tubes using a longer ratchet extension. The extension got beat up, but the metal seemed softer than the tube itself. The issue is getting something inside the tubes which seem to be the same diameter. I did drive out the upper tube first, as it was stuck on this midsection too. Once this was out, the bottom was quite easy.

Now for the outdrive itself that I will be using. My hope is after disassembling the lower and upper, it will all go back together the way it is supposed to. That is where I think your videos again will be quite helpful.

Another question about filling the water pickup with foam. Do you think I could just fill it by just pouring foam down the tube after after it is reassembled?
    Last edited by champ; 05-19-2016 at 07:27 AM. Reason: forgot something

Top plate for exhaust port needs to have holes?

I made that plate for my 270 when I went to the solas propeller to gain the clearance. I did not drill any relief holes for water to escape. What issue could that cause? Overheating perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    have you fit the drive on first? some 270 have course splines the 280 has fine splines.

the exhaust port needs to go on the 270 lower and you need to find or make a round lock off plate you have to make sure it has holes to let any water that might get in thru the top out (leave the top open) . I found one for going thru the anode bin at west marine. and the transom plate needs a block off which is usually pretty standard on any volvo without a y tube which your setup probably has . it was a volvo part but may be hard to find I had to make one for my 280.

before you go crazy make sure the drive fits on the transom housing and confirm the ratio not sure what ratio you are leaving 1.8 2.0 but going to a 1.6 you may find the 23 is too much for every drop in gears you lose 200 rpms so going to a 1.6 from a 2.0 you will be down 500 rpms or so

Thread Information