Thread: Volvo 280 Power Trim

Volvo 280 Power Trim

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 280 P.T. outdrives? I have an opportunity to buy one for my 17' Champion. would a trim package on a boat this small have any benefits? What would be a fair price for one in good condition? I have been trying to find 1:61 gears for my 270 since realizing I have been running six cylinder outdrive and can't find bigger props. Now is my chance and need to make a decision.
    Thanks

trim is not going to make much difference it is nice for shallow water idling but doesn't make much difference on plane over a non trim outdrive the parts are hard to find and expensive unless you find it in a boat bone yard one in decent shape a complete set up transom housing pump trim ears lines rams will be 2500-3500 bucks if you find them in new old stock it will be 4500-6500 . make sure you seal the trim lines they are outside of the transom seal and can be an issue with rot and water. make sure the new transom housing is not going to cause you clearance issues in the bilge the steering is different and the trim pump needs some space in the bilge

on your setup with a flatter bottom and heavy stern trim tabs may be more beneficial helping hold the nose down

here is the transom plate template courtesy of the Lake George Donzi Classic Club

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pdfs/280template.pdf

My AQ280PT before and after
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    trim is not going to make much difference it is nice for shallow water idling but doesn't make much difference on plane over a non trim outdrive the parts are hard to find and expensive unless you find it in a boat bone yard one in decent shape a complete set up transom housing pump trim ears lines rams will be 2500-3500 bucks if you find them in new old stock it will be 4500-6500 . make sure you seal the trim lines they are outside of the transom seal and can be an issue with rot and water. make sure the new transom housing is not going to cause you clearance issues in the bilge the steering is different and the trim pump needs some space in the bilge
    Thanks Matty, .....So do you think if I got a deal on this, I could turn it over easy and make a little mula? Are they rare enough that they popular or popular that they are rare?

yeah if they are working and in good shape they are something that might have value to a older aq owner. the drive you can use if it has the right spline and it is the gear ratio you want .then try and sell the rest.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information