Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird formula Jr. project...

here's some pictures! first one is getting the trailer roadworthy to make the 1.5 hour highway ride back to my house, second is during our stop for dinner/wheel bearing check at a diner and lastly back safe in my yard with my not so enthused wife

ok, so I started doing a little cleanup work last night... pulled that anchor of a 454 out of the cockpit area and got under the bow to see if I could start putting some pressure on it to get the shape back... unfortunately it seems to have a double layer layup with no core material for the top deck?? I'm very confused by this. anyone know how these things are put together?? was there a wood structure inside that maybe rotted away??

Could you please post up some pics of the top-side and underneath the deck ( areas of concern ) for all to view ?

More importantly, how about that truck? Crew cab International? Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE GINGER View Post
    Could you please post up some pics of the top-side and underneath the deck ( areas of concern ) for all to view ?
    you can see the top side of the bow in the first pic I put up... it's a couple inches low instead of a crown. I will see what I can do about more pictures in the next few days. this is a long term project for me that I'm not really planning to do much on until fall when my actual boating time slows down! I did want to get some pressure on this bow now so that it was brought back slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywhale View Post
    More importantly, how about that truck? Crew cab International? Cool!
    it's interesting... belonged to the guy who was selling all this junk for the widow of the hoarder who had passed away. put on that nasty home made fiberglass "wing" on the bed too

Just tell your wife
    "One day it will be as beautiful as you"
    Worked for me once...Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Donnelly View Post
    Just tell your wife
    "One day it will be as beautiful as you"
    Worked for me once...Ed
    HA! I have been into hot rods since I was 12 so me dragging home old junk to fix is nothing new to her!

sorry about the pictures! I just moved all the formula pics into a seperate album... did some more work last night.... cleaned up the junk in it and vacuumed. pushed up the bow a little more so that looks do-able... what are the donzi 16 guys running for tanks??

Great project. I have a junker one that needs a lot of attention one day.

Can you do me a favor and measure your stripes, total width port to starboard and individual width of the two stripe widths please ?

THX

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Great project. I have a junker one that needs a lot of attention one day.

Can you do me a favor and measure your stripes, total width port to starboard and individual width of the two stripe widths please ?

THX
    Mine needs much attention... how bad is yours?? would love to see some others! my boat is original gelcoat so I will get you measurements. I found a gentleman from NH that has one he has owned and run since new! He's been a great source to converse with.

After viewing your pics of the deck I can almost bet that you will need to beef up and support the area of concern considering you most likely will experience some de-lamination ( if not already ) going on while trying to get the deck to regain its original shape .

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE GINGER View Post
    After viewing your pics of the deck I can almost bet that you will need to beef up and support the area of concern considering you most likely will experience some de-lamination ( if not already ) going on while trying to get the deck to regain its original shape .
    i've been discussing this with a boating friend of mine... we have come to the conclusion that cutting out the lower skin and building a balsa core into the deck may be my best bet. hardest part will be getting it in the right shape upside down detached from the hull.

Turn it over or cut the deck off? That is the ques

If at all possible don't remove the deck. Make a cradle and turn iy over and work from underneath. That's the way we did the Hornet. The deck remained on and the entire deck was re cored. It was not as difficult as it sounds. The shape will more than likely fall back to where it was when you remove the inner skin.
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

Shore up the deck from underneath with wood to get its shape back. Make a jig and lift it off. Flip it over and do your coring. Its the right way to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pearson View Post
    Shore up the deck from underneath with wood to get its shape back. Make a jig and lift it off. Flip it over and do your coring. Its the right way to do it.
    I like that ALOT! how was the deck attached to the jig?? I was thinking the other way, putting some thin ply in from underneath then trimming them off afterwards. a jig like that from the top would make the work fast when flipped. attachment and detachment are key there though I assume??

Thread Information