Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Thunderbird formula Jr. project...

The Formula JR in Key Largo

Met a fellow Donzi lover at the Mt Dora boat show three years ago. He would come over and admire the Baby Donzi every year and tell me he knew where one was sitting in the Keys. He would sort of tell me where it was but I could never nail him down for the exact spot. I think if this had been a Baby Donzi he would have gone for it for himself, being a real lover of Donzi that he is. So, after meeting him at the show for three years here he comes again. This time he told me he went by and that it wasn't a Donzi after all. It was a Formula JR and this time he told me exactly where it was and what the deal was. The fellow was selling his property and the boat needed to go and that if no one bought it he was going to take it to the dump. Vic begged him not to do that till he told me and if I couldn't move it for him then scrap it.
    I had seen that Sean was looking for a JR project so I PM him and get this deal going. Got pictures, phone numbers, names etc and after much research Sean got the job done. Congratulations to you Sean. Glad everything worked out and that you are able to make this boat something special.
    Here are some pictures I received from Vic in Key Largo. And thanks go out to Vic and next year I will let him take the Baby out for a spin, all by himself!!
    Bert
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    Yep, sure. I was searching the forums until late last night. "Hollywood Hank" posts the pictures of his clean 1965 Eaton drive (seen below) along with the tag. I also thought the 1500lb capacity odd... but, it was the '60's and that shop was busy.

There's lots of information here on .net and over at .org if you do a search. Member, Owen aka Formula Jr. posts much of it and seems to have done some research which you can see develop if you start with the oldest posts first. He says "Of the two I have, the serials are F17 56130 and F17 56-001C Capacity 1200 lbs. Again we see the "56" and a FJ that does not start with the "1" but has a suffix "C".

Lastly, I found a reference to production numbers that should be behind the dash on the starboard side....
    i just heard back from Chris on the Jr in the show room. he says they purchased it just to put in the show room, as far as he knows there is no significance to this particular boat. the serial on it is F17 5660, which seems like we are coming out with two distinct sets of serial numbers....

Ask for Scott Porter

If you ask for Scott Porter he will know more about the older boats. he is one, if not the, owner there at Formula.
    Scott has been there for as long as I can remember. They were in Miami when this boat was built.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by bertsboat View Post
    If you ask for Scott Porter he will know more about the older boats. he is one, if not the, owner there at Formula.
    Scott has been there for as long as I can remember. They were in Miami when this boat was built.
    I haven't asked to speak with anyone, but from what chris said their really isn't much knowledge of the company before the mid 70's when it was bought. so these thunderbird era Juniors really have no living history as far as I have found. closest thing i have found to living history is the guy in londonderry NH that has owned and run his junior since it was brand new.

Brownie?

Did you ask Brownie?

I had seen that Sean was looking for a JR project so I PM him and get this deal going.
    Yes, A BIG thank-you to Bert for getting this rolling. I'm still excited as hell but, my wife hates you... it's a small price
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Did you ask Brownie?

how would we do such a thing?? was he involved at that point??

I just messaged Scott Porter, President of Formula boats.... we'll see
    Sean Conroy,

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

I'll ask Brownie.

I'll ask brownie.
    Quote Originally Posted by revkev6 View Post

I'll ask Brownie

how would we do such a thing?? was he involved at that point??

Quote Originally Posted by revkev6 View Post
    i just heard back from Chris on the Jr in the show room. he says they purchased it just to put in the show room, as far as he knows there is no significance to this particular boat. the serial on it is F17 5660, which seems like we are coming out with two distinct sets of serial numbers....
    Do we know if this is F17 "fifty-six, sixty" or F17 56 060 ? Also is there a "C" afterwards?
    Could you ask Chris what the significance of the "C" is?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sean Conroy,

Thread Information