Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Donzi 22 Re-Power 377 Scorpion

Quote Originally Posted by TheSharkGuy View Post
    I am leaning toward the "new" stuff and my father chipping in $10G... but that also means he will take it out whenever he wants because he put money into it... I think that's his reason for offering to pay some money, haha.
    As long as he brings it back full, I don't see a problem with that.

Ken

That WOULD be nice

Quote Originally Posted by CHACHI View Post
    As long as he brings it back full, I don't see a problem with that.

Ken

So What's The Plan?

I need to make the decision this week. I've wasted half the summer!
    So are you going with the Merc 350HP/383 Bravo pacakge?
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

I'm leaning towards that since my father has offered $10K towards the new package. New sounds nice! I'll make my final decision by this weekend!

I am still looking for a 40th Anniversary in the $30K Range. One with a trailer sold for $28K about a month ago. The two listed now are at $40K and that's too much for an 11 year old Classic. These boats don't appreciate...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat McPherson View Post
    So are you going with the Merc 350HP/383 Bravo pacakge?

Don't spent $20K if you're not keeping her

I am still looking for a 40th Anniversary in the $30K Range. One with a trailer sold for $28K about a month ago. The two listed now are at $40K and that's too much for an 11 year old Classic. These boats don't appreciate...
    No way would I put $20K into a boat if I was planning to sell and by another.

If this isn't the boat you want for at least the next 3 years, I would recomend you sell it. You'll never even come close to getting your $ back from the new engine drive package.

Sell her as is, or drop in a reman longblock then use until she sells.
    Thank you, Patrick

Oh, if I go with that new package, I would keep it for the next 10 years.

IF a 40th Anniv pops up before hand, in my price range, I might jump on it and sell my boat as is, or get it running for as little as possible and sell it.

No way would I put $20K into a boat if I was planning to sell and by another.

If this isn't the boat you want for at least the next 3 years, I would recomend you sell it. You'll never even come close to getting your $ back from the new engine drive package.

Sell her as is, or drop in a reman longblock then use until she sells.

Your Plan?

Update Please.
    Thank you, Patrick

I've unexpectedly had to go to Chicago twice in the past 3 weeks for work, and had a trip and a wedding as well, so I have been so busy I can't think straight. It's unfortunate because I was so excited to enjoy the Donzi all summer, and now it 3/4 over and it's still not ready. I think I am going to go the small block route because of my father's offer to split the cost. He is all about "new". Hopefully we can get it down to Florida in the next week or so, and then it's a week turn-around. Still looking out for a last second 40th in my price range.

ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC... do any of you all know about Velocity boats? My father is looking at a rare Velocity 320 outboard model (only 3 made) that is located near us. He likes the outboard setup on that boat. I don't really like the look, but he does.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/5106244081.html

Update Please.

ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC... do any of you all know about Velocity boats? My father is looking at a rare Velocity 320 outboard model (only 3 made) that is located near us. He likes the outboard setup on that boat. I don't really like the look, but he does.

They are suppose to be great rough water boats for their size. I was looking at couple smaller Velocity's years ago. I'd be a bit cautious about the seller when he says he can get a 15mph gain with just a prop change.

AFAIK, Steve Stepp is the original owner/designer of Velocity Boats, but I thought he sold the company years ago. I could be wrong. I'd call the company and see if you can talk to Steve. If he's still there, find out what he did to the boat.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

I owned a 1999 280 (26') for 5 years. The boat was pretty fast (65mph) even with only a 415HP/502. The pad bottom with 24deg V worked vary well, better ride than a step bottom 29' Fountain IMHO.
    Steve Stepp sold Velocity then bought the name back at some point. I spoke to Steve and his right hand man, Ken, a number of times during ownership (2007-2011) of my 280 Velocity.
    Thank you, Patrick

Great info guys, thanks!

I called the seller a little while ago, and briefly spoke to him (before reading these replies). He said that Steve Stepp sold Velocity but still works for the company in a specialty/consulting role. The current owner took the boat to Velocity for a look over. Steve Stepp personally came in and worked on the boat himself. Repaired a small crack in the back and other work that is documented... signed a picture taken with the boat, etc.

I don't know much about Velocity, but I have been doing some research. The boat is only about 40 minutes away from our house, so we are going to check it out next weekend.

Update?

New Engine and Drive for 22C ??

Velocity Purchase?
    Thank you, Patrick

I'm back to give an update! It was a busy September.

Regarding the Donzi... my father ended up getting a good deal on and buying the Velocity, so his attention is there. I think I am going to go ahead and have my local mechanic put a rebuilt 502 in that he has in his shop. I'll have him do it this winter so it's ready for the summer. He's excited to possibly do the project, and will give me a fair price, so I'm gonna go that route.

Regarding the Velocity. WOW. I was skeptical, but I've been nothing but impressed. It's honestly like a jet-ski on steroids. The thing gets up and goes. She likes cruising at around 55 and will get up to 75 easily... all trimmed out and on smooth water, she will creep up to 80. We've taken her out in very rough conditions and it has handled everything well. I've loved the performance so far. It's a little strange seeing this type of boat with outboards, but it's cool because it's different. I've learned only 3 were made and 2 are outside the US. We talked to Steve Stepp- he's a great guy. WITH THAT BEING SAID, I WANT THAT DONZI UP AND RUNNING FOR NEXT SUMMER! The Velocity is awesome, but that 22 Donzi is cool...

Attached are a few pictures I've taken...

V1.jpgV2.jpgV3.jpgv4.jpg

New Engine and Drive for 22C ??

Velocity Purchase?

That Velociy looks bad ass with the 3 OB's on it! It's more than cool that you could talk to the guy that designed the boat.

I think in the long run, you'll be glad it turned out this way. No one else will have money into your boat and the boat will be yours, and only yours. Plus you can always borrow the ol' man's boat, so it's kind of like having two.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Serious Porta-Bracket on that.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Thread Information