Thread: Another page for George !

Another page for George !

Hey George , did you use 4 inch silicone hose for your y pipe and did it fit well ? i sucked in a bag and toasted my exhaust hose. The hose , water shutters, impeller , and tip flaps didn't do so well . i am hoping the 4 inch hose will work on the oval shape .. thanks in advance !
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Not to hi-jack your thread , but how serious was the overheat on the engine ?
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Fortunately I had installed a closed cooling system so while the engine did overheat it wasn't nearly as bad if i didn't have it . after the overheat i was able to run the boat back to the dock . i hit a plastic bag and it sealed around the low water pick up . All my years of boating , this was a first . The exhaust did get hot enough to melt the water shutters in the ypipe !

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
    Fortunately I had installed a closed cooling system so while the engine did overheat it wasn't nearly as bad if i didn't have it . !
    Interesting you say that . When we ordered the 502 for the Magnum and requested FWC for it the agent said that that was one of the reasons he liked it too .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
    Hey George , did you use 4 inch silicone hose for your y pipe and did it fit well ? i sucked in a bag and toasted my exhaust hose. The hose , water shutters, impeller , and tip flaps didn't do so well . i am hoping the 4 inch hose will work on the oval shape .. thanks in advance !
    Yes, 4" silicone hose.......and it seems to be just fine.

Yes, it did overheat, but due to the way this Monitor system works, it has a remote thermostat and a recirculating circuit built in so if ya just take it easy, it seems to live a bit longer. Also, the transom mounted pickup tends to shed things that might block it.

P.S., I had to completely dis-assemble the heat exchanger to paint it. That meant I had to remove the thermostat. A few weeks later when I reassembled the HE, I inadvertantly installed the thermostat into the heat exchanger backwards!!!!!
    And that's the reason it overheated.

Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

thanks George , i was a little concerned about the seal .. Looks great !! I replaced my thermostat as well just to be on the safe side . I am really giving thought to installing a pickup after this has happened

As a follow up to the thermostat. The ones that come with the kit are really cheap. Mine was anyway. I found a really nice robert shaw thermostat and it's a night and day difference. Summit racing has them.

Thread Information