Thread: The Cigarette and The Beatles

The Cigarette and The Beatles

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but it is way cool...

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/lo...?autoplay=true
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    1993 Donzi Classic 22 by Chris Craft...
    White with Yellow stripes...
    502 King Cobra...
    Its hard to be humble when you own a Donzi. (In my humble opinion).
    To hear it run...click the link below...
    http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

It is way cool !!!............thanx Barry!..............who remembers Murray-the-K ?
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

ok , I've seen the story of the resto on this boat before but it begs the question , did Don actually ever run a Formula named 'The Cigarette ' .
    I was always under the impression that that name didn't come out until boat company number 4 .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

From his day with the Beatles...that's Ringo...I'd say it's a 'yes.'

Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 5.07.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 5.08.06 PM.png
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Don

always liked the name cigarette which he knew of as a NY kid hearing stories of the rum runner that was too fast to be caught "the Cigarette"

Cigarette, owned by Mobster Vannie Higgins, out of New York harbor, the fastest of the Rum-runners, capable of 42 knots

I know we have talked about this before but if you get to see the history channel special on prohibition and rum running it is well worth it it truly is the start of our addiction .

stories of the black duck, the artemus , fishermen buying army surplus liberty engines and hopping up their boats to go faster than the CG!

a good watch with a neat bourbon and a fine stogie

When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

What Matty said.

neat video of the Beatles hard to think it has been so long without them

a shipyard building boats for the Govt on one side and boats that out run them on the other??? where have I heard that before

a little clip from High Society couldn't find the mention of Cigarette but here is the start of the go fast boat

When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

It's interesting that Ringo was the only one who truly enjoyed the boat ride and even drove a bit. And Ringo is still with us!
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    Don

always liked the name cigarette which he knew of as a NY kid hearing stories of the rum runner that was too fast to be caught "the Cigarette"

Cigarette, owned by Mobster Vannie Higgins, out of New York harbor, the fastest of the Rum-runners, capable of 42 knots

I know we have talked about this before but if you get to see the history channel special on prohibition and rum running it is well worth it it truly is the start of our addiction .

stories of the black duck, the artemus , fishermen buying army surplus liberty engines and hopping up their boats to go faster than the CG!

a good watch with a neat bourbon and a fine stogie

Yes , I know why he chose the name 'Cigarette' but did he ever run a Formula named 'The Cigarette' ?
    Not taking anything away from this guy's resto but it possibly muddies the waters of history .
    I'm a bit skeptical .

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    It's interesting that Ringo was the only one who truly enjoyed the boat ride and even drove a bit. And Ringo is still with us!

Now look what you've done .. you've got me reaching for my tin foil hat

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Yes , I know why he chose the name 'Cigarette' but did he ever run a Formula named 'The Cigarette' ?
    Not taking anything away from this guy's resto but it possibly muddies the waters of history .
    I'm a bit skeptical .
    Did you watch the video of the news report, from which my pics above came? There's footage of Aronow in that Formula 233 with the Beatles. I snagged the two stills above from that footage, to show the name on the transom and at least one Beatle. But in the old film, you can see it's a Formula (logo is visible) and also that Aronow is aboard and also the name. Feels like pretty good reason not be skeptical, what am I missing?

Read a whole article on this guy's resto and it looks just like the old pics of itself. Same hull.

ok , maybe I was missing something , but it undoubtedly is a Formula 233 and it sure looks like it had 'The Cigarette' on the transom way back then .

The thing is , in the video the newscaster/reporter refers to it as a Cigarette boat when it's obviously a Formula.
    Does anyone know (of course Brownie would) if Don actually raced a 233 with the name 'Cigarette' on it . And is the boat in the video a non raced pleasure boat that Don had as a personal toy ?

I know this thread has been idle for a while, but I found out today that the marina where I keep my boat is the same marina where this boat is kept. I was talking to the harbor master about it and he was filling me in. Said he would introduce me to the owner of it, but I don't know when that will happen. I did a Google search and found a lot of vintage pictures of this boat with the Beatles on it, the Formula 233 script on the side and the Cigarette name on it. They all looked pretty authentic.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Well , sooner or later the internet will reveal all !

My original question about the 'first' Cigarette was today definitively answered by the very knowledgeable Charlie McCarthy on OSO
    on a thread concerning cool trailerable classics where a pic of the Formula 233 'The Cigarette' showed up .

I am now schooled ..

Here is the post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damon R. / View Post

Is that the oragional "The Cigarette"?

Charlie's response ..

Yes the first of Three that Don Aronow raced with that name.

This boat was the first it is a 1963 Formula 233 with a single 409 cu in with twin 4 barrel carbs on it.

The second boat was a 27 foot Magnum with twin sterndrives and Mercruiser engines

The third boat and most famous was the 32 foot Cary that Don won his second World Championship with in 1969. Engines were full stagger and drives were Speedmaster# 2

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Well , sooner or later the internet will reveal all !

My original question about the 'first' Cigarette was today definitively answered by the very knowledgeable Charlie McCarthy on OSO
    on a thread concerning cool trailerable classics where a pic of the Formula 233 'The Cigarette' showed up .

I am now schooled ..

Here is the post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damon R. / View Post

Is that the oragional "The Cigarette"?

Charlie's response ..

Yes the first of Three that Don Aronow raced with that name.

This boat was the first it is a 1963 Formula 233 with a single 409 cu in with twin 4 barrel carbs on it.

The second boat was a 27 foot Magnum with twin sterndrives and Mercruiser engines

The third boat and most famous was the 32 foot Cary that Don won his second World Championship with in 1969. Engines were full stagger and drives were Speedmaster# 2
    That's great info. I'm going out today and I'll look around the marina to see if I can find it. It's stored in a dry stack so I'm not sure how much luck I'll have. I'd probably do better on the weekend but I avoid weekends as that seems to be when most of the idiots are out. We'll do a lunch run today and who knows, maybe it will be there.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Thread Information