Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What lower drive is this??

Quote Originally Posted by Gerk View Post
    So one of these Solas props will give significant gains on an unmodified 270 or 280?

I could be into that.

My buddys '77 with sbc 350 and stock 270 runs a cupped 14x19 and it is good for Tahoe altitude. Could be a 14x21 but not 100%
    He would like more speed if possible.

If it is good, I will buy one too
    If he is turning a 14x19 now a Solas 19 will drop his rpms at least 200 rpms and will probably be slower probably a lot slower in the thin air

Need the exact numbers rpm drive ratio pitch and a speed GPS if possible than it can be evaluated

Thanks Matt, You are always a big help.

He is turning a 14x21 cupped. Max RPMs at full throttle is 5100 and max speed seen on GPS is 53 but most of the time 50 MPH.

I hope I am answering that question right. He would love to get a few more MPH. He does not want to change the drive yet as the boat runs.

I am running almost the same setup except ford, so this prop is for me too.

altitude aside I am much closer to the sea and don't know thin air.

with the increased diameter and grip of the solas spinning a 19 would keep his rpms near 5000 maybe a little less and in the area of 54-55 mph

with a 21 solas his rpms are going to be down to around 4700-4800 if he can spin it to 4800 he is at 55-56 I think he will be more at 4700 and back at 54-55 mph

remember this is not an exact science these numbers may be a bit high but the solas will give you good performance and handling and should get the boat moving near the speed he has now but the motor and drive will be happy with the lower rpms. If his prop is over marked and it is a 19 that was repitched and a flexed back towards it's original pitch he is going to lose more rpms than I estimated
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

forgot to mention running the numbers you've given us on his current prop he is at approx 16% slip which is not uncommon in a volvo AQ prop
    the solas will be down at around 7-8% slip.

Again you have to check your motor's ego at the door I was running a 25 pitch and 26 pitch modified merc props near 5000 rpm they were high in slip I could not turn a 23 solas I went down to a 21 solas to get in the 4900-5000 rpm

the props are around 300 dollars I would say start with a 19 you can split it between you and your friend test it and see where you are it is always good to have a spare prop if needed
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Excellent. I think we will give it a try.
    Does anyone know anything about cupping? Will this still be OK as his runs much better with the cupping on his Volvo prop.

Also, if hes running a 21, a 19 you think is best?

Thanks, just don't want to buy the wrong one and spend extra money

Also, on the website, it says the Solas Titan is for the 280/290.

Will this not work on a 270?

the rules of thumb for every inch of pitch or diameter it is 200 rpms up in pitch or diameter down in rpm and vice versa

the solas is almost an inch wider and the blade area is much larger and has cupping . so a solas acts larger than the posted number so a 19 acts more like a 20-21 and a 21 acts like a 22-23. the prop he is running now is at 15-16% slip which means it is inefficient the solas is twice as efficient at 7-8% which means it is hooked to the water.

The point being there is more likely chance that the 21 will be harder to turn and drop his rpm too low and be disappointed in performance. In thicker air with 310 hp I could barely get a 21 solas to 4900-5000 rpm on 1.6 gears.

props are never cut and dry what works for one setup might not work as well on another setup, my 16 ran great with a solas 21 Jay's 16 did not with similar power but slightly different drive Jay's boat liked the 19 more.

knowing the solas and not knowing exactly the type, make and design of his existing prop, with stock power at high altitude I would try the 19 first.
    Again if he can spin the solas 19 to 5100 ( which I don't think he will be able to) he is at 55 mph

selling spare volvo props has never been an issue make a post in wanted someone may have a 19 that they are willing to part with and a decent price. You may need to buy and test

I have about 240 ish HP coming out of a SBF i can get a 19 to about 4800 what is a stock 350 SBC 260 ish hp ?
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerk View Post
    Also, on the website, it says the Solas Titan is for the 280/290.

Will this not work on a 270?
    yes I have seen or run a solas on a 200-250-270-280 and 290

you may need (as does every AQ owner) an assortment of thrust washers and may need to tap and drill the shaft for a backing bolt but with off the shelf parts I ran many short and long hub props on my 250.

I wrote a test thread for Rootsy and Big Grizzly over on .org years back not sure if the thread is still there but it listed how to get it to fit on a 250-270 and what mods I made on my 250 ( which is the same lower as a 270) think I used an OB torque tab which in hindsight I didn't really need

if he has the exhaust torque tab combo the solas won't fit the exhaust port tab needs to go.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Is the titan the way to go?
    There is the Amita, the saturn, etc....

I am only looking at the titan as that is what is linked.

Props can be very confusing to get the right one and seems extremely easy to get the wrong one.

No need to apologize for questions
    Yes you are looking for the Titan not the others the Titan is well worth the money. It was developed for rhe aq drive the others are sx drives with the old hub I tried a ton of props I had an inventory of about 10 props at one time alum bronze SS choppers cleavers round ears stop switching when I got a Volvo ultra when I got my Solas Titan I sold everything including the ultra it is the best all around prop I ever used on a Volvo no blowout no ventilation no handling quirks

Everyone that has tried one has thought they were a good prop

RH or LH

Ok so I am ready to purchase one of these Titans.

Now the question is RH or LH.

I will be running Right hand drive with 351 and my buddy has the 350 and Left hand drive.

I think Volvo can run either one, but I am not sure how that works.

Much appreciated on the help

what ever side your helm( steering wheel) is on left side LH right side RH

visit our club site( click on the club logo in my signature at the bottom of this post) look at the resources page under the restoration radio bar we have some Volvo owners manuals there will help

changing rotation is on page 23 page this manual

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pdfs/HM200.pdf

not sure what you mean by a RH drive most of the ford volvo setups were standard automotive rotation not reverse rotation
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Sorry Matt. What I mean is the helm is on the right. Same with my buddys when I said LH drive, his helm is on the left.

I find it interesting that it makes much difference on the LH or RH prop where the helm is located.

Time to go to prop school

for the most part the helm was located on the side of prop rotation to counter act prop torque rolling the boat the early classics were the only boats at the time that had left hand helm due to the fact that the volvo could spin left no merc product did that a marketing plan for Jim Wynne who had a monetary interest in volvo . thats why the 16 outboard is right hand helm most if not all outboards at the time spun RH. build a standard rotation ford set the volvo to the side of the helm and forget it.

if you do a lh prop on rh helm you may need some trim tab to counter act the torque very common on merc driven restored classic that are lh helm
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information