Thread: 75 Doral - talk to me Goose

75 Doral - talk to me Goose

Hola gents and ladies,

Been out of the game for a few years, but Uncle Sam has kindly decided to return a goodly hunk of the money he has extorted from me this year. So, it toy time!

Was leaning toward a new bike, but recently a 75 Doral popped up on CL and I'm tempted... Looks like it needs work but it is a Donzi. I'm not familiar with this model so I'm asking the experts here for some guidance.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/4983710868.html

There's been a fair bit of comment on these models , and very recently too .
    There were 4 different models based on that 24' hull and if you do a quick search under
    Doral
    Spitfire
    El Pescador
    Spirit

You'll have plenty to read . Comments on the construction method used might cause you some concern though .

btw / I couldn't get your link to work , even when I cut and pasted it into a search
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Trying the link again... http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/4983710868.html

I'll do some reading, thanks for the info!

It certainly needs some work , but what boat of that year wouldn't ? The price starting point is good enough to get you going and end up with a beautiful finished product if you can do a lot yourself .
    If you can pull 400 pshp out of that 454 you'd have a boat that would be satisfying to run and not eat you alive at the fuel dock.
    They are the most beautiful hulls but make sure you read up on the way they were built . It might have been innovative at the time but years down the road it turned out to be a disaster .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

----Mark and I have both seen this Doral. Transom has rot and I highly doubt that the stringers are rot free. I should at least say that its possible the rot has been addressed by now, but at $3000 I would tend to doubt it. Also, the pictures look better than the boat. Price seems OK, but you have to know that you will be upside down at the end. Im deep into the resto on my Spitfire which (as you may know) is the same hull as the Doral. I spent a small fortune getting rid of all the sore spots. Admittedly, Im trying to build my Spit to show as well as use, but to just make one of these hulls safe can cost a bunch. Ill let Mark tell you more as he has his twin engine Doral and has done the needed repairs to his......Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by dockrocker View Post
    Hola gents and ladies,

Been out of the game for a few years, but Uncle Sam has kindly decided to return a goodly hunk of the money he has extorted from me this year. So, it toy time!

Was leaning toward a new bike, but recently a 75 Doral popped up on CL and I'm tempted... Looks like it needs work but it is a Donzi. I'm not familiar with this model so I'm asking the experts here for some guidance.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/4983710868.html
    That Doral has been for sale around the Detroit area for many years, it was last sold @ a used car lot in Pontiac Mi. Bill [olredalert] looked at 10+ years ago & it was ruff then. The factory construction is Bad @ best as I learned first hand when I bought & opened up the rotted out transom. If you are buying it for parts it may be a Ok deal but if you want to restore it be ready for lots of work & $$$$$ to bring it back. You can read more on these Donzi's like Bill's Here . http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...itfire-Up-Date
    Here also is the thread on my Doral & what I found. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ighlight=doral
    Here are a few pic's of the rot I found in the transom of my Doral that is typical with these Donzi's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like a pass then. I'll keep looking for a 22 classic or maybe a Minx. Thanks for the warning!

Quote Originally Posted by dockrocker View Post
    Sounds like a pass then. I'll keep looking for a 22 classic or maybe a Minx. Thanks for the warning!
    Any older Donzi like a Minx may have stringer & transom problems but they were built in a more traditional way [stringers & transom not encapsulated into the deck] & easier to work on & repair. Between Bill & I we have 3 of the four 24' models Donzi built this way & all share these issues. In my opinion Bill's Spitfire will be the best 24' out there built like Donzi should have..

I think if Bill were to disclose his restoration costs (and I'm not asking him to) many here would be shocked.
    This is an expensive hobby.
    You're way ahead saving up $25-$30K and buying a really good 2000 or so 22C.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I think if Bill were to disclose his restoration costs (and I'm not asking him to) many here would be shocked.
    This is an expensive hobby.
    You're way ahead saving up $25-$30K and buying a really good 2000 or so 22C.
    Yep. This one seems to need a full restoration. It's gonna take more than 3G to find a boat that's ready to go.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Thread Information