Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spitfire Up Date

----Matty,,,Thanks for your interest. The hull and deck resto was done off sight and I was too dumb to get any pre-resto pics. Mark has some pics of his Doral that might help explain the original concept a bit better. Suffice to say, the original bonding "goo" seems to have been a combination of old chopped and ground up pieces of fiberglass scraped off the floor of the Donzi factory mixed up in some kind of witches cauldron, LOL! Because of that a bunch of that stuff always seems to break loose in between the hull and liner and bounce around in the voids for the life of the boat. We scooped out mounds of it in both the El Pescador and the Spitfire. I think that if sales of the 24 line had kept up any kind of pace, a lot of the problems we have encountered would have been delt with by the factory over time. Unfortunatly, every boat manufacturer in south Florida was already building longer boats that had more appeal at the time and the 24 line couldn't seem to get over the hump.
    ----The original front seats were the normal Donzi seats on shock absorber bottoms. The bottoms suffered from corrosion and I have decided to go to bolsters. You can see the stands in the one picture. Seats are being built as I type this. Mark has the star-wars seats in his Doral, and I am partial to them, if only for the added storage in the back. They kind of crowd up the cockpit though. The back seat will be a bit more permanent than the original but will allow easier access to the front of the engine compartment.
    ----Ghost,,,As far as weight removal, you are correct about the addition of many aluminum pieces. Being a twin TRS boat there was a tremendous amount of weight in the stern. Boot stripe was way below the waterline. Problem is that I like the TRS packaging (internal trans,Etc.) so aluminum intakes, heads, exhaust manifolds, etc., etc. have been implemented. Also, we removed a great deal of wood and went to composite for the transom, stringers, bulkheads, etc. Obviously, there are benefits beyond just weight removal with composite usage. Im presently struggling with my desire to have a teak floor against the added weight. Im also redoing the engine hatches which are heavy. The new ones, or possibly one, will be substantially lighter but just as strong. For awhile I struggled with the idea of 280 K-planes because of weight but I like the way they look and work so they are in, LOL!......Bill S

I love how they worked the 3rd color into the scheme on the 24
    the yellow orange and white on Mark's doral,
    the blue white and red on your el pesc

and the blue white and lighter blue on the spitfire
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    I love how they worked the 3rd color into the scheme on the 24
    the yellow orange and white on Mark's doral,
    the blue white and red on your el pesc

and the blue white and lighter blue on the spitfire

Completely agree with that . It's a great combination of classic and sporty .

Bill , you obviously have things well thought out .. and that normally comes with a lot of ' hindsight ' .. lol
    This ought to be fantastic when done .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

----Matty,,,Marks Doral is all original in that regard, but my two boats didn't even nearly resemble what they are now. The El P was orange down to the boot stripe and white south of that. And,,,when I found the El P it was painted metallic brown (yucky-poo). The Spit was all white with baby blue trim. What can I say, Jan likes navy and I like Jan!!!.......Bill S

After returing from his latest work outing in England Jeff Hall returned to Michigan over Thanksgiving to help Bill & myself with Bill's Spitfire restoration. After much thought on how high we should install the Trs drives on the Spitfire we were still confused as to drive centers & height. We measured the drive heights on Bill's Short Circuit Mag & my drive height on my Mag we still were a little in the dark where to set them. Jeff solved that issue by making a call to his friend Bob Saccenti [Chief & Apache powerboats] who has set up many Trs boats, Bob set us straight on were to set them. With that problem solved all we had to do was layout the transom & start cutting the Spitfires pristine transom . Our next project will be setting up the engines & there mounts, that should happen in a few weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, gorgeous!!
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    With that problem solved all we had to do was layout the transom & start cutting the Spitfires pristine transom . Our next project will be setting up the engines & there mounts, that should happen in a few weeks.[/I]

I insist , your next project should be epoxy sealing those beautiful new cutouts. Then you have my permission to proceed !

ok , ok , you've done it already ...you just didn't tell us !

That one is stunning . What a keeper it's going to be .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    I insist , your next project should be epoxy sealing those beautiful new cutouts. Then you have my permission to proceed !

ok , ok , you've done it already ...you just didn't tell us !

That one is stunning . What a keeper it's going to be .
    This was the first time I have worked on a all foam core transom as all the wood in the hull has been replaced with foam, it sure cut out nice. As good as the cutouts area looks we do plan seal them up.

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    After returing from his latest work outing in England Jeff Hall returned to Michigan over Thanksgiving to help Bill & myself with Bill's Spitfire restoration. After much thought on how high we should install the Trs drives on the Spitfire we were still confused as to drive centers & height. We measured the drive heights on Bill's Short Circuit Mag & my drive height on my Mag we still were a little in the dark where to set them. Jeff solved that issue by making a call to his friend Bob Saccenti [Chief & Apache powerboats] who has set up many Trs boats, Bob set us straight on were to set them. With that problem solved all we had to do was layout the transom & start cutting the Spitfires pristine transom . Our next project will be setting up the engines & there mounts, that should happen in a few weeks.

That is one nice looking hull. Any full length side pics? Access to Saccenti directly? Does not get any better than that! Nice work.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

----Thanks for all the replies, guys! Jan and I took off for a short trip to Fla. the same day Jeff left to go to a boat/car/plane show in Key Largo. Will send some full length pics to Mark after we get home. The transom holes were such a big deal to me. Scared me to death! But with Jeff, Mark and Mr Ss help it finally got done with really a minimum of fuss. Can't wait to go further now that the hardest part is done........Bill S

I would have to be in another room while someone who has done say, 500 transom cut outs, cut the holes.

Just saying.

Looks beautiful.

Ken

Can't wait!

Cant wait to see it and ride it Bill and Jan. Looking forward to Detroit this summer!! Going to bring the Fino too!
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

Bill,
    This is such a fabulous looking restoration you are doing! I hope to see more pictures as it comes together.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

----Thanks, guys!!! Wow, I find stuff to order every day. Getting there though........Bill S

Thread Information