Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spitfire Up Date

Spitfire Up Date

Here are a few updated pic's of Bill Stephenson's Spitfire, If only Donzi would have built them this way... When Bill finishes this one it will be another BEST OF SHOW @ a ACBS event. Like all of Bill's boats it wont be a trailer Queen, with it's potent 383cu small blocks it will be a great ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

very nice
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Makin' it last forever , like it should have originally been done !

I sure would like to try out one of those . For a few reasons , not the least of which is it would be interesting to see the similarities/differences in ride with the Mag 25.
    Harry did both of them , but the Donzi 24s are smoother to look at.
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Makin' it last forever , like it should have originally been done !

I sure would like to try out one of those . For a few reasons , not the least of which is it would be interesting to see the similarities/differences in ride with the Mag 25.
    Harry did both of them , but the Donzi 24s are smoother to look at.
    Bill's El Pescador Rides different than my Doral, we think do to placement of the fuel tank. The Dorals gas tank is under the cockpit floor where the El Pescador & Spitfire are forward. In these pic's my Doral sits a little lower in the rear, & my fuel load was light were Bill's had much more fuel on board . If you put the same power & weight in the 25' Magnum as the Spitfire the Mag may have a softer ride as it does not have a rounded keel ???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great job

I couldn't get over the finish in the engine compartment. What a great job so far. May beat the Fino out of "BEST OF SHOW" in June there in Algonac MI unless the Barracuda has anything to do with it LOL!
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

----1st, Thanks to my crewchief Mark for posting the pics and all the help and advice he gives me.
    ----Bert,,,Your Barracuda will take any show its entered in. It is literally spectacular.
    ----When I bought the Spitfire in Canada several years ago I had only a brief ride in it at just above planing speed. I would have used it a bit but one trim pump was not functioning and other stuff was needed for any kind of use, so I decided to just get the inevitable over with and tear the boat down. Ryan Smith at RCS did all the glass and paint work over the next couple of years and then the boat had to go into hibernation till I could get the Fino done. Im sooooo looking forward to finishing this Spitfire up and finding out just how it will run with the twin TRS drivetrain. It will total out to around 835 horsepower and much less weight than when built. Mark and I will try to keep current now that we are moving forward. But...Theres no way it will make the ACBS show this year. Im planning on 2016. 2015 is going to be Short Circuits time to shine.......Bill S

Wow.

Looks absolutely fantastic. You said you've taken out a lot of weight--curious what you've changed. Looks like the layup is probably more stout by a good bit. Aluminum parts?

Can't wait to see her done and find out how she performs...

Mike
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Bill's El Pescador Rides different than my Doral, we think do to placement of the fuel tank. The Dorals gas tank is under the cockpit floor where the El Pescador & Spitfire are forward. In these pic's my Doral sits a little lower in the rear, & my fuel load was light were Bill's had much more fuel on board . If you put the same power & weight in the 25' Magnum as the Spitfire the Mag may have a softer ride as it does not have a rounded keel ???
    I'm not sure how much of a difference the round vs sharp keel would really have but the tank on the Mag is under the c0ckpit sole about 2' ahead of the engine.
    It would probably come down more to actual weight in my opinion. The 25 Mag is no featherweight for its length , even with a single engine .

It's great to see another fab picture of both your Doral and Bill's El Pesc .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    I'm not sure how much of a difference the round vs sharp keel would really have but the tank on the Mag is under the c0ckpit sole about 2' ahead of the engine.
    It would probably come down more to actual weight in my opinion. The 25 Mag is no featherweight for its length , even with a single engine .

It's great to see another fab picture of both your Doral and Bill's El Pesc .
    Here's another 24 for comparison, also with a single BB.

image.jpg
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

----Love that boat, Ghost!!!!!!!.......Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Wow.

Looks absolutely fantastic. You said you've taken out a lot of weight--curious what you've changed. Looks like the layup is probably more stout by a good bit. Aluminum parts?

Can't wait to see her done and find out how she performs...

Mike
    If you looked closely how Donzi built these 24's a Klem Gem's boat would look good. Donzi used lots of filler & uncoated plywood that sucks up water. The inner hull is the backbone sandwiched to the bottom with stuff that looked like Bondo. Bill's now has real stringers & bulkheads that are cored with today's new technology materials, lighter & stronger.

Great looking Spitfire Bill. I think you will very pleased with that kind of horsepower. Those of us that remember you in Corvette circles here on Cape Cod would expect nothing less than the best. Enjoy it!!

My boat will be in the water by early May. It was a miserable winter here!

----Thanks!,,,I hope retirement is treating you well. My sister has been keeping me updated on this past winter. You guys have to be just about worn out......Bill S

Beautiful job Bill !

Bill

do you have any pics of the spitfire a part . I always wanted to see what the modular construction looked like. with the 24 basically it was a 24 foot shell then they put the specific model modules in to make it a spitfire, el pesc, doral or spirit

also what are your plans for the seats? this boat had the bucket seats if I remember correctly or did it have the capt Kirk star trek seats?

again nice very nice
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information