Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A warning and a request for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I've seen some stuff in old hull/deck joints that was white, think it was just caulking of some sort. Wasn't a big deal. Crossing my fingers yours isn't an issue.
    I think you may be right .
    Although mine's a bit older there was something in the joint as well that was whiteish . Whatever it was it was old and mostly ineffective . So much so that I believe the deck just popped off after all the screws , etc , were out without even messing with the sealer.
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    If a prior owner used 5200 to seal the deck joint your world just changed. I can't imagine someone would do that but we have all seen stranger things done. Hopefully it's just some type of painters caulk. Good luck
    My 2004 was sealed with what I believe was 5200. It really wasn't a big deal to seperate it. Just had to hammer a chisel between the deck/hull joint, then hammer a second chisel 6" in front of that. Remove the back chisel and repeat. Took about 30~60 minutes to break it free. I'd much rather have the bonding strength of 5200 than rely solely on the factory screws and some sealing silicon.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    My 2004 was sealed with what I believe was 5200. It really wasn't a big deal to seperate it. Just had to hammer a chisel between the deck/hull joint, then hammer a second chisel 6" in front of that. Remove the back chisel and repeat. Took about 30~60 minutes to break it free. I'd much rather have the bonding strength of 5200 than rely solely on the factory screws and some sealing silicon.
    It was probably 4200. It looks like 5200 but a lot easier to get apart.
    Of course I through bolted the TR, in 209 places.
    I used RTV for sealing.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

We added additional blocking to the 16 along the entire top edge of the hull.

Bonding this into place is easy when the deck is off boatnut and gives the bolts more meat for compression. Some guys cap the transom only and do away with a rub rail there. That's a fair amount of additional work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Smile bigger isnt always better

I think the stock tank size is the ticket! I would like to pull the tank out and replace with a better tank that fits and is plumbed the same. As for the additional blocking along top edge of hull sounds like a very good addition. Hopefully we can get done before the new tank needs to be replaced... I am boatnuts son and the boat in question is mine. Thanks for everyone's input and thanks dad for all the time your spending helping me or is it me helping you...

DZ-25[1].pdf

I've attached the Florida Marine Tank FMT stock donzi 25 gallon tank. This may be what you want. Measure for the sending unit and pick-up locations. I had them relocated to line up with the floor access hatches.
    1978 X-18, SBC, Volvo 280T
    Big Grizzly 21 Solas Prop
    Heart Bay, Lake George, NY

moving forward slowly

My son Bill wants to go with the 25 gal tank, thanks for the drawing kirbyvv, I sent a note to FMT to get a quote and asked them a few questions. George, tried your test on the deck joint and it breaks free easily. It is definitely not 5200 or 4200, probably some type of caulk more for water blockage than adhesion. So we dodged one bullet. After getting the latest drawing we will chk some measurements and see if we can get confident enough to order a new tank before we remove the old tank. Thanks guys, Ed
    1967 Triple Hatch 18' (sold)
    1969 Holman&Moody 18 2+3
    1982 454 TRS no windshield 22 2+3 (sold I'm an idiot)
    1997 454/Bravo 1 22 2+3
    + some less cool, more functional boats

Thread Information