Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 200 HP Interceptor info

200 HP Interceptor info

I am working on a 200 HP interceptor engine out of a '66 18' with Holman Moody.
    I cannot find much info on the engine.
    What ford is it?
    Any and all info on this engine would be great as I will be tearing down and rebuilding when it gets slightly warmer.
    I'd like to have all my gaskets and info beforehand.

Was this a good engine, or a good candidate for a swap?

I would like to keep up with my buddys 1977 18' with rebuilt 350 Marine Power and 270 drive. (actually beat him)

Thanks all

do you have any serial numbers off the motor that might help. In general the early interceptors were 260 or 289 ci motors usually the 200 hp was the 289

what drive does it have an Eaton or a Volvo?

if you are looking for originality and performance isn't your driving force than just rebuild it as is and hope you don't have issues finding the bolt on parts water pumps and plumbing parts a 200 hp ford is not going to come anywhere near a 350 boat

Fords are expensive and go fast parts are hard to come by

I would think Chevy and you can build a nice 350 hp motor without breaking the bank again this option depends on what drive you have
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Found this

The 289 2v in 1966 had:
    200hp@4400
    282ft*lbs@2400
    9.3:1 CR
    52.5-55.6cc Combustion Chamber Volume
    .016 Piston to Deck Clearance
    1.6 Compression Height Pistons
    5.155 Connecting Rods

Like Matty said hard pressed to take on a SBC 350 with a minimum of 260HP out of the box. Roller Cam MPI Vortec Mag 350s' are about 300 HP out of the box.

The 289 seems to have tiny combustion chambers with very low compression to work with. You can get 425 to 475 HP with flow mods but the HP gain is way above 5000 rpm more like 7000. To get more peak torque, you need to bump up the CR and cylinder pressure . I think a mild stroke, domed pistons, a large combustion chamber/ large runner aluminum head. with a 270 cam would bring it into the running.
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

I will have to get back with you all on the serial numbers when I get to the boat.

I agree with originality and to swap the engine out would hurt the value, however would a 351 swap in easily into this application?
    I have one available to me. I can always keep the Interceptor for when and "IF" I ever decide to sell it.

I love the 351W. Ive got one in my Chris Craft XK22, XK19, and my Dan Arena XL21. Engines are great in my opinion. Old faithful
    I had the 289 in my Formula Jr, but it had the Eaton Drive. I only got about 27MPH at high elevation.

This Donzi has the Volvo drive

These days ford and chevy cost about the same to build. Marine parts though could be a bit tougher to find.
    Scars are tatoo's of the fearless

You could build the 289 as a 331 or a 347. But a 351 on hand makes things easy on the wallet.

machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

You could use a "modern" 87-93 5.0 HO roller block and stroke it to a 347. Physically it would look the same. The Interceptor exhaust is a weak point (and difficult to replace if it gets cracked). You could put that in a box to stay with the boat and use a better set up. Hi -Tek makes a great exhaust. SBF Internals are no problem and there are several intakes available. This could easily be a 300+ HP motor that is 100 lbs. lighter, narrower and shorter than a SBC. The only tricky part is finding the right camshaft for the application... it's out there, just gotta find it)

http://www.hitekmarine.com.au/ford.htm

302-ford-windsor-lrg.jpg
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Thank you all for the help. Been great reading these.

The exhaust on the engine in there is aluminum Holman Moody water jackets in good shape

original power is not going to add much to value in a windsor anyway if it was an fe, mopar or daytona maybe. general condition is more a factor as is bang for the buck when all things being equal more is more. two boats in the general same condition one having a 300hp worked ford or one having a crate sbc at 300 hp isn't going to be that much different in value

If you decide to stay Ford modernize go to a total modern setup an omc or volvo setup post 1985 with side motor mounts and modern water pumps this way getting parts and adding goodies like power steering are easier.
    Do not go above stock power with the HM logs get at least center risers or as woobs said the hiteks are very nice . you may look at these also for exhausts

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-13919...num-riser.aspx

you are going to need center risers if you go to the 351w that will give you some plumbing room for the exhaust outlets with logs you'll be to close to the transom to make up the difference in width and height of the motor from a 289. being a 66 it is a barrelback so you should have hatch clearence

I have done the ford thing twice have made a promise to myself never to go that route again, well in a boat anyway.

never say never you never know what may come along

When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I am going to start taking some parts off of the engine today.

Where am I looking for the serial numbers?

The boat itself is a 66. #18-57

the interceptors usually had the serial number on the timing chain cover. there should also be casting numbers on the heads under the valve covers and also on the block near the starter

the interceptor serial numbers usualy start with E then a W or T and 92L that will tell you what you have if nothings been touched
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

This is interesting

So the ad said that it was a 351 when i bought it, however seeing the 200HP on the valve cover, I assumed it had to be the Interceptor 200 which was stock at the time.

I am still new to this, but is this a 351 with stock 200hp valve covers?
    Under the covers read 351 and WF20150320_101040_resized.jpg20150320_102213_resized.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

well that answers the question on if it has been touched.

many of the parts on a 302 and 351 windsor are inter changeable the difference is the stroke so heads can be re-used
    so now look at the block by the starter and see if there is any numbers on a plate on the bell housing

my guess is over it's 45 years the the motor or some of it's parts have been replaced
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I am not finding one single raised number on that block. Unless it is behind the starter, I can't find anything.

Oh well

Does the 351 heads rule out everything but the 351 and 302?

Thanks Matt and everyone else for your help. It is great

The bore was the same on the 289 302 352 windsors so it could be one of the 3 the 351w is taller and had a different firing order

the 289 302 had one firing order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

and the newer 5.0 liter and 351w had a different order

1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

you might be able to tell by the wires number 1-4 are on the left looking at the motor from the back seat 1 is closest to you and 4 is by the transom 5-8 are on the right side 5 being the closest to you and 8 by the transom

<span style="color: rgb(37, 37, 37); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22.3999996185303px;">
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information