Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2 years done

87mph optimum.

What rpm on the dyno did it produce 550 hp?

Didn't another yellow 22, that I won't mention by name, break a blackhawk at last years AOTH behind a procharged 502?
    None of our boats are worth close to what we have into them. To ask what they are worth is asking for bad news . That 18 looks good though and will be fast for sure. Yeller, lookin' good too. Now stop getting bogged down with details and git r' done!
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Carl it will be done and I want to hook up with for ride this summer,I have a bud who lives in Windsor and would love to boat around there if its close to you. Younger what are you running now same boat or you back in a donzi. We have to get together this summer guys it's been to long.the boat was 5000rpm we are thinking of putting aluminum heads on it now to help with the heat and a few more hp and weight. I have a new friend on face book who lives in parry sound hope to get a ride for this summer some great boating.Also can we hook back up in the Muskokas this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by craigdskilling View Post
    Carl it will be done and I want to hook up with for ride this summer,I have a bud who lives in Windsor and would love to boat around there if its close to you. Younger what are you running now same boat or you back in a donzi. We have to get together this summer guys it's been to long.the boat was 5000rpm we are thinking of putting aluminum heads on it now to help with the heat and a few more hp and weight. I have a new friend on face book who lives in parry sound hope to get a ride for this summer some great boating.Also can we hook back up in the Muskokas this summer.
    Sounds good. It's gonna be a great boating summer. Lots of plans. Windsor is right across the river but I can't land or anchor in Canada without a passport.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I can we will work on that come spring cool.

I' all up for some running this summer. Doing a full resto on a 21 cougar mtr. Engine, interior, all rigging. Running 225 3liter. Will run a solid 80. Hope to attend the local poker runs, as well do some travelling. Love to run for Bala. If you dynoed 550hp with iron on top of your motor, stick with it. Set it up and run hard.

Looks great, you should seriously think about doing steering on this! It does appear your engine sits a little higher than mine, we didn't have to notch out for the blower pulley it cleared by about 1/2", I might be running a smaller pully than you tho, what's your max boost? I'm running 6 PSI, my tune has 6 PSI coming in at 4,800 rpm, I'd suggest the alumium heads, if you do go with the bigger 2.02-1.60 valves.

Did you run this on a dyno to get your HP #'s?

Looks nice!
    Steve
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

Quote Originally Posted by craigdskilling View Post
    I have a 350 mpi with a whipple charger pushing 550 hp and a Blackhawk drive. Cant tell you top speed, I have not run it yet. what do you guys think it will do. New cam new pistons new everything everthing had to be custom. Please let's see what people have thanks, craig
    Craig,
    You're running an 85mph - 90mph 18 Classic with a twenty year old BH surface drive and no external hydraulic steering whatsoever?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Greg I have every intention of putting on steering just not this year and I do now the dangers of running at those speeds with out it but Im not sure were you are going with the 20 year old bh. I still can get steering for it from cp, I have talked to Rick from cp that has all ready to go from Ziegler I was shocked that he could still get the wing plate.The money that has gone into this boat to make it safe was my first priority like the hull the stringers transom was all beefed up to support the speeds it might go. But back to the drive what do you mean by 20 year old stuff it's no good.I bought the drive with few hours on it 5 years ago from out west,and these drive's are very solid at high speeds if you have ever driven one.Thanks craig

I'm sure that your specific drive is in excellent shape Craig but anything that is 20 years old could present a surprise when behind high horsepower. I spent 4 days in the ICU when my steering broke at speed. Getting thrown out of a boat at 50-60 is one thing. Whether a BH or any drive, getting spit out at 80 is a far different deal. The risks we each take are a part of our past time as adults. God knows I still take far too many.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

I don't think he's any more susceptible to breakage because of his drive. New drives break all the time too. As far as steering goes............I'm not saying it's not needed...but there isn't anywhere near the same forces on the steering with a dual prop as opposed to a single.......and hydraulic hoses can break too.

Just stirrin' the pot.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    I don't think he's any more susceptible to breakage because of his drive. New drives break all the time too. As far as steering goes............I'm not saying it's not needed...but there isn't anywhere near the same forces on the steering with a dual prop as opposed to a single.......and hydraulic hoses can break too.

Just stirrin' the pot.
    Agreed on drive breakage, also somewhat agree on the dual prop and forces, however strongly disagree on steering, if that cable breaks at speed that drive will flip flop back and forth on it's own, a hydraulic system when breaks will hold the drive at the last place it was when the hose broke, ask me how I know about this. The boat needs steering, I personally wouldn't run the boat past mid 60's without it that's just me, I did the steering first then added the additional power after the boat was ready for it. My .02
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

So when I do the steering I'm thinking only single ram, can I add another ram later down the road if need be.

asur I too am running 6 pounds of boost I called my guy to find out.And we talked about doing heads down the road but to run it for now.

So I got a new go pro for Xmas from my wife and was wondering when I do my first outing with the boat I will be filming everthing, where should I mount this front looking back or back looking forward or have someone hold it.i bet there will be a cool rouster tale coming out the back.thanks guys for all the input feel the love

No problem adding a 2nd ram later. 2nd ram is simply plumbed in parallel (but reverse) with the 1st ram.
    Check the Instruction section at cp performance for a diagram.

FWIW: The wingplate on my BH is for a Bravo. The BH doesn't have the bolts for the rear of the wingplate, but at 1/2" thick S/S, it doesn't need it. There was very minor interference at the back of the plate, but a small amount of grinding allowed it to clear the drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Thread Information