Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: K Plane Mounting

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Is there anyone that has went from one position to the other on the 22 classic that can share the differences on how the boat reacted.

Whenever and wherever this topic comes up I know that I can always expect to see a lot of opinions based on personal experience , but what about real science ?

I look at it this way .

Don (Aronow) could run anything that he wanted . Whatever he did run was based on real life testing and the demand for not only the best , but what worked the best .
    If he was racing it he had already tested all the other setups .

Did he ever run horizontally mounted tabs ? Did he ever send a boat out the door with that setup ?
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by XABICHIN View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Is there anyone that has went from one position to the other on the 22 classic that can share the differences on how the boat reacted.
    I can let you know the answer to that in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Whenever and wherever this topic comes up I know that I can always expect to see a lot of opinions based on personal experience , but what about real science ?

I look at it this way .

Don (Aronow) could run anything that he wanted . Whatever he did run was based on real life testing and the demand for not only the best , but what worked the best .
    If he was racing it he had already tested all the other setups .

Did he ever run horizontally mounted tabs ? Did he ever send a boat out the door with that setup ?
    A lot of race boats run horizontal. There is a reason for that....but every boat and owner has their own reason. No different than what oil is used.

Xabichin, if you're not sure, I'd install them in the traditional manner. It's proven to work, so unless you have specific concerns with the handling of your boat, why mess with success?
    In my case, I have specific issues I want to try and overcome that my old tabs didn't handle (at an acceptable level) so I'm trying something different.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

I will say this. The change on the 28 was hands down better performance and would settle the chine walk ten times faster. and less tab. It also helped getting the 28 on plane in rough water. the chine walk on the Scorpion was so bad that it would throw you on the floor in the back seat. Almost to a point where I was going to get rid of it. After the change it was a different boat.

Has anyone ever changed and ran them Hor on a 22?

Yeller, keep me posted, I plan on mounting the tabs very last.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Quote Originally Posted by Trueser View Post
    Has anyone ever changed and ran them Hor on a 22?

Yeller, keep me posted, I plan on mounting the tabs very last.
    There was a 22 in the Seattle area a few years back that had horizontal tabs and claimed to run like it was on rails at over 100. Those claims were somewhat suspect though.
    I'll definitely post how the tabs work, but don't hold your breathe. At the pace I've been going, you'll be long finished your boat before I hit the water again.

I have been running tabs horizontal for a few years. They are very sensitive.P8180043.JPG

baby got back !

nice setup RR
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post

A lot of race boats run horizontal. There is a reason for that....but every boat and owner has their own reason. No different than what oil is used.

Xabichin, if you're not sure, I'd install them in the traditional manner. It's proven to work, so unless you have specific concerns with the handling of your boat, why mess with success?
    In my case, I have specific issues I want to try and overcome that my old tabs didn't handle (at an acceptable level) so I'm trying something different.

Yeller, how do they run?
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueser View Post
    Yeller, how do they run?
    Hey, I didn't say which Spring did I?

Looks like you'd be better off asking Roadrunner that question. I still don't have mine running yet.

Yeller, get that dang boat back in the water. Actually, we both need to get our boats back in the water.

As speed increases and the boat trims up the water behind the boat will flatten out and parallel mounting should start to show it's advantages. I'd probably go with parallel if I were building a new 22C.
    RickS-E

Thread Information