Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Freshwater to Saltwater, back to freshwater help

Freshwater to Saltwater, back to freshwater help

Okay, need some help here. For spring break we are taking our Whaler down to Fort Myers and renting a house on a canal. the boat has never been in salt water, 40HP Johnson on a 13' sport. we plan on leaving it in the water the whole week as the ramp is 7 miles away (don't want to deal with the land lubber spring break traffic). Do I need to change the zinc plate or anything? Is this just a bad idea? I am bringing my water muffs and a garden hose, or do I even need to bring these things? thanx in advance for any input,

tom
    2002 28ZX

If it is freezing where your home is, just flush it in Florida when you are finished. It isn't going to hurt your boat to use it in salt water.

Thank you WW....and you are right, it was 10 degrees F out this morning. So for only a week, I shouldn't have to worry about changing the plates (magnesium to zinc and vise versa)? if it matters, the motor is a 1990 model. thanx again for the response,

tom
    2002 28ZX

As wwahl already said....don't worry about it. Salt isn't the Instant killer a lot of people think it is. It takes time and neglect for salt to cause damage. Just flush and wash it as soon as possible after pulling it out. The best would be to pull it out and flush/wash it before the salt water has time to dry. I find salt water causes most of its damage when it dries out. That's when the salt crystalizes and attaches itself to the metal...causing corrosion. I hose down my entire boat after being in the salt. Interior, exterior, engine, trailer...in addition to flushing engine. I do the "taste test" on the exhaust water to determine flushing time.
    Even if you can't flush right away, your one-time salt excursion isn't going to do any damage.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Many Thanx Yeller!!! If there isnt a freshwater hose at the launch, we can get back to the rented house and flush it there. I've been around salt, just never had to deal with it. Thanx again as always,

tom
    2002 28ZX

What we do with salt

Bring the trailer back from the ramp and wash the salt off asap. Trailers rust from sitting after being dunked. Lots of seashells on Sanibel Island.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    1993 Donzi Classic 22 by Chris Craft...
    White with Yellow stripes...
    502 King Cobra...
    Its hard to be humble when you own a Donzi. (In my humble opinion).
    To hear it run...click the link below...
    http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

Thanx Barry!!! I shoulda just asked you directly, haha. Tell Denise I said 'hey'!

'The Yankees is a raid'n south Florida, better git the guns!!!'

tom
    2002 28ZX

Have a great time! and I do recommend flushing with salt away when you get the boat out, and is still warm. So the salt won't have time to crystallize in the passages. I let my boat stay in the bay for 2-3 days at my neighbors dock. But much longer you may start seeing the start of barnacles, very tiny, but you will be able to feel them when you run your hand over the hull and engine. Get them off asap also, the longer you wait...the harder they stick. I have been boating in salt water 50+ years..."Grasshopper"" lol
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    1993 Donzi Classic 22 by Chris Craft...
    White with Yellow stripes...
    502 King Cobra...
    Its hard to be humble when you own a Donzi. (In my humble opinion).
    To hear it run...click the link below...
    http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

What they said. have fun, clean the trailer, flush with salt away, clean the hull.....and put a good coat of wax on it before yout go.....that's why you have home grown indentured servants . I'd also corrosion-X the motor and exposed metal parts before and after the salt dunking !
    Capt. D.J. "Jefe" Reid -- RIP Big Grizz..and MOM
    '98 30ZF - Jefe's Revenge, '07 250 E-Tecs
    Founder/Co-Captain (South Region) - Donzi RED Bikini Crew
    "Revenge is a Dish Best Served...Wet"
    www.facebook.com/Team.Jefe

Wax the bottom?? okay, if you say so, im all over it....or under it. do i find this salt away at a walmart or west marine or where down there? what is corrosion-x? maybe i'll just call ya, im overdue! thanx as always,

tom
    2002 28ZX

Quote Originally Posted by FISHIN SUCKS View Post
    Wax the bottom?? okay, if you say so, im all over it....or under it. do i find this salt away at a walmart or west marine or where down there? what is corrosion-x? maybe i'll just call ya, im overdue! thanx as always,

tom
    your over reacting
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by Team Jefe View Post
    What they said. have fun, clean the trailer, flush with salt away, clean the hull.....and put a good coat of wax on it before yout go.....that's why you have home grown indentured servants . I'd also corrosion-X the motor and exposed metal parts before and after the salt dunking !
    Wow. If that's what you do Jefe, I am impressed.
    I think you might be scaring him a bit, though. He's only going out for a few days. I boat in salt and don't do any of that. A good rinse with water and your good. Salt Away does work. I never used it in the past, but heard good things about it.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Waxing the bottom is a good idea for fresh as well as salt. Better yet, see if you can get Barbie to do it. Work the "my arms are too long" angle.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Thanx Mike, I'll try the arm thing!!! Buiz, I think grape nuts is a venerial disease, so I'm gullible....what am I over reacting to....Lay it all out so I can play it all out. Many thanx to all, your input is much appreciated,

tom
    2002 28ZX

I boat primarily in freshwater, but have a lot of experience in saltwater as my brother lives in SC on the coast. Don't worry about your Whaler. Make sure you flush the engine on the muffs for a bit when you pull it out, Thoroughly wash the entire boat and trailer. My brother's trailers all have lights mounted on the guideposts so they do not get submerged when launching and retrieving. He always tries to set up his trailers so they do not get totally dunked when launching and retrieving. He also sprays the inside of the outboard with WD-40 regularly. But remember, he uses his boats entirely in salt water. A good coat of wax before and after are always a good thing. Enjoy as boat are made to get wet!

Thread Information