Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1972 18 - Volvo 270 to Alpha Gen 2 Conversion

1972 18 - Volvo 270 to Alpha Gen 2 Conversion

Best day of my life! I finally removed the 270 anchor!!! Not sure how to make the picture bigger...

Volvo 270 Transom Plate Removed 12 24 14.JPG

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Daveyrat View Post
    Best day of my life! I finally removed the 270 anchor!!! Not sure how to make the picture bigger...

I wonder if the Alpha Gen 2 will last another 42 years?
    Big Boat Bob

How do you plan on doing the conversion ? The whole ordeal and the stringer/transom glasswork and a re-cut ? ... or are you thinking of a bracket ?

If you're doing the reglass thing I'd be tempted to hang a Bravo and be ready for the future motor that you might be thinking of.

Why? Volvo 280 with the right power 70mph trust me I am running my donzi since 66 now re powered with external hydraulic steering volvo zz383 chevy 450 hp 450 lb/ft torque crate engine FWC turning a solas 23 5300rpm 69.8 gps that's 70 in my book steers like its on a track

I should start with a thank you to the forum: I have been devouring information from this site ever since I feel in love with Donzi's - First Sight!!! Never posted much but my user name used to be Ratliff240 - couldn't figure out my password so I made a new account.

I am not here to discuss the durability of the 270: I know first hand that the thing will work forever. I ran the **** out of mine for 6 years trying to kill it and aside from reverse going out twice, it always got me home. I run my Donzi in the Straits of Juan De Fuca: From the Seattle area to the San Juans and beyond into Canada(100+ miles). We get rough water, huge tides and with long runs (burning a full tank) an variable loads (people and gear) it is not safe to go without TRIM. I am done smashing and shooting in the air with the boat, then hanging off the back trying to move the trim pin in big water! IT IS NOT SAFE and as I get older I am more cognoscente of that.

Here is the plan:
    Remove 270:
    Remove and re install 350 merc bell housing to my PCM 350
    Use adapter Plate to fill hole- gosh this thing is big and ugly... having second thoughts
    Bolt the thing together to align it, then remove entire set up.
    Install trim pump, steering (have a interesting dampener design/retrofit idea...) shift interupter, remote oil filter
    Glass in trim pump platform near batteries (I have already moved the battery back and added another 27 series which sit on either side of the motor). Fresh paint!
    Change lower unit of the leg to be counter rotating
    Add MSD to 350 and rebuild holly( it is a 4 barrel with vacuum secondaries... not much control in the upper RPMs), not sure if it is better to keep the water pump in the drive or in the serpentine system?

I plan to ask lots of questions and keep everybody informed along the way. Cheers!

It looks like you have made your decision so best of luck with the conversion. You could have tracked down a 280T trimmable transom assembly which would have given you the power trim ability with the 270. It uses the exact same bolt pattern, but it has two extra holes that have to be drilled for the hydraulic hoses.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Thanks Del Mar! You are correct, I am committed and have the majority of my parts already.

P.S. I followed your build and had a picture of your 18 on my computer background until I found my boat. Your engine hatch it different than mine/most. I have always liked the white bottom paint that follows the highest strake to the bow. What do you have for power?

Thanks Del Mar! You are correct, I am committed and have the majority of my parts already.

P.S. I followed your build and had a picture of your 18 on my computer background until I found my boat. Your engine hatch it different than mine/most.
    I'm tickled that you kept a picture of my 18' and followed the thread. The only reason my hatch is different is that the boat came with an LT-1 350/350HP engine with a high rise intake that necessitated a hole in the engine hatch. Donzi used a Cigarette scoop.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    It looks like you have made your decision so best of luck with the conversion. You could have tracked down a 280T trimmable transom assembly which would have given you the power trim ability with the 270. It uses the exact same bolt pattern, but it has two extra holes that have to be drilled for the hydraulic hoses.
    Bill this is how I made the trim for my son's X-18, works great. Found all the Merc parts on ebay for under $250.00. This X-18 had the Volvo 270T trimable drive, what a nightmare. This set up I have made & used for over 35 years is clean & simple. Mark

----I have seen Marks trim set-up close and it is really slick. Every Volvo drive should have it!!!......Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Bill this is how I made the trim for my son's X-18, works great. Found all the Merc parts on ebay for under $250.00. This X-18 had the Volvo 270T trimable drive, what a nightmare. This set up I have made & used for over 35 years is clean & simple. Mark
    Mark,
    Are the trim cylinders on your modified system the standard Merc Alpha trim rams? Great modification!

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Mark,
    Are the trim cylinders on your modified system the standard Merc Alpha trim rams? Great modification!
    Bill they are standard Merc outboard cylinders just like the ones used on many trim tabs.

I love these anchors I have 5 boats with them 4 have twins Volvo drives [Donzi Doral, Mag sedan & sport & Cobra] . Volvo drives shift nicer than a Merc, and are easy to work on, & raise them up 3" like on my Magnum Sport and you would never switch them out.

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Bill they are standard Merc outboard cylinders just like the ones used on many trim tabs.
    I thought they looked shorter than I/O trim cylinders. Very creative on your part!

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

I thought they looked shorter than I/O trim cylinders. Very creative on your part!
    Bill these cylinders have been used for Volvo drive trim since 1974. They were used in a cruder form back then on many Magnum like this pic of Lil Rhino, I started making my version back in 1976.

Thread Information