Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 22' Classic - Which of these would you buy & why?

22' Classic - Which of these would you buy & why?

All fresh water boats

Option1- 1996 Blackhawk- 330 hours
    http://www.boats4sale.pro/detail/us/...ssic-BlackHawk

This guy was original owner, has paperwork from Donzi. Seems to have cared for the boat well, but has it on a roller trailer (which scares me a little) says he lives on the lake and the boat has never been to any other lake but that one. So he uses this lousy trailer to launch but not transport anywhere. My impression is, he is truly an enthusiast and probably took care of it.

Option2- 1996 Blackhawk - 200 hours
    http://www.boats4sale.pro/detail/us/...awk-Gilford-NH.
    He says he's the 3rd owner. Says it's a very fun boat, in excellent condition. Selling to put the money toward a big, go fast Donzi.

Option3- 1989 very clean, NOT a black hawk, carbureted engine- 12 hours
    http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/22924 (use this link only for the photos, he replaced the engine and did not renew the ad, he says he's about to winterize and store until next season. boat now has 540 Dart block, full build sheet and warranty would be provided to me, Bravo 1 drive. I've heard the 89' is a good solid Hull (but not sure if that's true).

Thanks guys!

The first one is on Ebay right now (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Donzi-22-Cla...wer_Motorboats) . Watch the Auction and see where it ends before you contact him or make an offer. Bad time of year to sell a boat, GREAT time a year to buy a boat! For me that boat is a little to much "PERSONALIZED" to the owner with all that Graphics & Cartoon Crap.

The second one for me looks like it has been "DRIVEN HARD AND ALWAYS PUT AWAY WET"! Here's my take, if your selling something you need to do (2) things.
    (1) Clean the HELL out of what ever your selling so its at least looks like you took care of it.
    (2) And this is my rule on boats. I judge alot about the boat by the TRAILER!. If the trailer is nice then you know HE/SHE must have taken the same care with the boat..........That trailer looks RUFF, and the foggy pictures.....EEEEHHHH

The third one would be my choice. BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK and looks like a well maintained boat.....

JUST MY 2 CENTS - Good Luck with the decision and let us know which door you picked 1, 2 or 3
    1994 SWEET 16 (SOLD)
    4.3LX 262 C.I.
    HARDIN Thru Hull Exhaust Tips
    MIRAGE PLUS 25 Pitch Prop
    Top Speed 61MPH/GPS - 4800RPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i0j73l5s2U

1995 Classic 18
    357 MAG Alpha 4V 275HP
    Thru Hull Exhaust
    MERCURY VENGEANCE 48-16320A46 13 1/2 INCH X 23 PITCH PROP
    Top Speed 64MPH/GPS - 4300RPM

Quote Originally Posted by yorkey View Post
    All fresh water boats

Option1- 1996 Blackhawk- 330 hours
    http://www.boats4sale.pro/detail/us/...ssic-BlackHawk

This guy was original owner, has paperwork from Donzi. Seems to have cared for the boat well, but has it on a roller trailer (which scares me a little) says he lives on the lake and the boat has never been to any other lake but that one. So he uses this lousy trailer to launch but not transport anywhere. My impression is, he is truly an enthusiast and probably took care of it.

Option2- 1996 Blackhawk - 200 hours
    http://www.boats4sale.pro/detail/us/...awk-Gilford-NH.
    He says he's the 3rd owner. Says it's a very fun boat, in excellent condition. Selling to put the money toward a big, go fast Donzi.

Option3- 1989 very clean, NOT a black hawk, carbureted engine- 12 hours
    http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/22924 (use this link only for the photos, he replaced the engine and did not renew the ad, he says he's about to winterize and store until next season. boat now has 540 Dart block, full build sheet and warranty would be provided to me, Bravo 1 drive. I've heard the 89' is a good solid Hull (but not sure if that's true).

Thanks guys!
    Option One is Putty Tat. Last time I saw it, it was in great shape. It has been through three owners that I am aware of. Nice running boat. My suggestion? You need to decide whether you want a standard 22 or a Blackhawk 22. They are night and day different in what they are and what it takes to run one. Go into it eyes wide open.

What roadtrip said. A Blackhawk and 22 Classic have different hulls. There is a big difference between a 22 Classic w/Blackhawk drive and a Blackhawk boat.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

If it was me, I would buy Tidbart's 22. Way nicer than any of the others.
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain
    "Pioneer of insane speed concepts & creations"

Is option #2 a Blackhawk " original " boat with rocker hull or a 22C with a BH drive ?

Yes, rollers scare me too.

As Todd said, the BH original rocker boats are a handful and big water doesn't work very well with them from the experience I have had in them locally.

I (personally ) would lean towards a 22C hull.

IMO, forget the Blackhawk, it's fun for the first 30 minutes, then you'll have buyers remorse...

i'm not sure where your located, BUT...

x2 on Tidbart's boat, I have been in it several times, and for the same money as the 1989 listed your getting a much newer, known, and well dialed in package.

HTH !!
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Thanks everyone!

Hi guys

Thank you for all of your input. I really appreciate it. I had heard that the blackhawk is quite a bit different than the standard classic, but it does sound fun and fast. I was thinking of test driving one of those before making a decision on which way to go. The cartoony one is a little closer for me, so I might make the journey to see what the blackhawk feels like. I figured, the black and white one could actually look pretty good, but the graphics must go :-).

In regards to Tidbart's boat, I do not see a listing for his boat being for sale. I PM'd him about that. Do you guys know where his online listing might be? Thanks for the tip on that, guys, I really appreciate it!

Jeff

Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Tidbart's listing-

I see it now, thank you very much. I've seen his ad on the web actually. I'll correspond with him to learn a little more. Thanks so much.

What do you guys think about the difference between a '89 Hull and a '97 Hull? Anyone have any input on whether or not it's true that the older one is actually a thicker, stronger hull than the newer ones? Someone who said they were relatively informed on Donzi history told me that the older ones, manufactured in the mid to late 80's (made before the Donzi brand ownership changes started) was a better built boat. But then I've also heard that the Chris Craft era ('92-94"?) was a better build than the earlier Donzi originals. Finally, I also heard that, newer ones don't have a wooden stringer support system anymore (but not sure how new he meant, that might be a VERY recent development?).

What do you guys think?

The '89 I'm looking at (option 3) is an attractive option to me, as it appears to be quite clean, it's the classic color scheme I like. If the build sheet checks out and the engine builder is reputable, then it seems like a nice engine option for power and his Bravo 1 should handle it (I think). I look forward to hitting 78MPH GPS in a classic! Mine would hit only about 57MPH GPS, while I was all by myself on the best, glassy morning!

Thanks again guys!

Mine would hit only about 57MPH GPS, while I was all by myself on the best, glassy morning!

Thanks again guys!
    the glassy part is a drawback. Gotta get outta the water and get on top..

I second Buizillas statements re: BH's unless you plan on "glassy mornings " for the the rest of your BH ownership timeline. Also, if you have a wife and kids, AND a BH, you probably won't have in short time

The Build Sheet - Boat Option 3

Guys, what do you think of these specs? See attached.

Thanks everyone!
    Attached Files Attached Files

#3 would be the more interesting of the bunch, it should run in the 80's and make you stain your shorts like a Blackhawk.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

What do you guys think about the difference between a '89 Hull and a '97 Hull? Anyone have any input on whether or not it's true that the older one is actually a thicker, stronger hull than the newer ones?

Thanks again guys!
    Some '89's were built by Chris Craft and I've been told they were very good. Others, and earlier boats weren't necessarily as good.
    '94 and later were built by American Marine Holdings and are superior to most all earlier boats.
    The real differences are the stringers on the pre '94 are closer together and the engine mounts are bolted to the outside of the stringers. '94 and later boats built by AMH had the stringers further apart and the mounts mounted between the stringers to (maybe) allow taller engines.
    The only downside to some later (after 2000) boats was the larger (bottom) panel between the wider stringer spacing and larger engines suffered from cracks in that area. Many were successfully repaired.
    There were numerous changes AMH made to keep cockpit floors from cracking and other support issues. I personally like the AMH boats.
    BTW, Tidbart's boats is a very solid boat and very well maintained. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy his boat.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I wonder if TidBart ( Bob ) is still running that VHF antenna on the boat ?

Thread Information