Thread: Looking for someone to repaint my 1994 Donzi 16

Looking for someone to repaint my 1994 Donzi 16

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations on someone who can repaint my red hull sides and top stripe (and also polish the white gel that is currently in good shape). It was painted before I bought the boat (about eight years ago), but the clear coat has failed on the sides at the waterline and the deck has failed due to gas spillage around the gas cap. I've been reading about vinyl wraps, but I would prefer to invest in something that will last (especially seeing that I keep the boat in the water during the summer). I live in Massachusetts, but would be willing to take the boat anywhere in New England for the right shop. Thanks in advance!

al

al, had that done on my 16. any good autobody shop in your area should be able to do it for you. my guy used a base coat with a clear.would recommend him but i am in wa. state , a little far to trailer your donzi ! dan z

Call Tom, https://www.google.com/maps/place/Un...c4bc3b405612f5

He has owned several Donzi's. Has a couple of Hornets at the moment. Excellent reputation .

Mac the knife in queensbury ny, near lake george, did my 22 just as you want. He did red hull sides and deck stripe, and buffed the white out to new. Great job was done, no regrets. Primer, two coats red, two coats clear. Black trim, new decals, etc. $3000. I recommend highly. Good winter project, did mine in feb 10, still looks new.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. Mike o, I'll be sure to touch base with your guy in nh. Pismo, upstate ny might be a bit far to travel, but the cost of your job is helpful as comparison. Do you leave your boat in the water? Any issues with bubbling of the clear coat?

al

Quote Originally Posted by skifastinvt View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Mike o, I'll be sure to touch base with your guy in nh. Pismo, upstate ny might be a bit far to travel, but the cost of your job is helpful as comparison. Do you leave your boat in the water? Any issues with bubbling of the clear coat?

al
    I am sure 16 would be a little less. I hang the boat, never in the water beyond use. 4hr drive from Boston.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Paint

Contact Scott Pearson here on Donzi.net several examples of his work can be found here on this site....perhaps he could help, his work is impeccable.

Good Luck,

KJ

Repaint the 16

Guys,

thanks for the advice. I have attached a few photos of the potential project. It looks like the clear coat has failed at the waterline (I do keep the boat in the water for the summer). Any thoughts on whether I will continue to have this problem with a new paint job, or if it was a faulty paint job.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

When I did my first partial resto on my boat I experienced the same problem. And it even extended a bit further up than that.

In the end I concluded that clear coating really doesn't achieve much if you're using a really good paint.
    Technically it can't shine more than the original colour coat unless the applicator is using the clear to hide a poor paint job.

The problem is , clear doesn't have the solids content that the colour coat does so it really offers little protection , IMO

When I finally re-did mine a few years ago I skipped the clear coat.
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

There might be a single stage paint which can tolerate constant underwater exposure, but I am almost certain you will not find a basecoat/clearcoat paint that will hold up. If you do your research and find a paint that can endure underwater, please post it. I know Imron will not endure for more than a couple weeks at a time before it needs to be dried out. Have you considered a lift?

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Paint job

I have thought about a lift, but prefer to find a paint product that could stand up to a few months a year of staying in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by skifastinvt View Post
    I have thought about a lift, but prefer to find a paint product that could stand up to a few months a year of staying in the water.
    Bill makes a point that few can ague with , myself included . I don't know if there's any paint out there than can successfully withstand very extended periods of immersion but I will say the following .

Out here 99.8% of all boat paint jobs are done with Awlgrip. Imron in our environment is considered an automotive (not marine) paint.

Both of my boats are Awlgripped and they stay in the water for extended periods.
    And by 'extended' I mean over a year in some instances.

The bottoms are anti-fouled (and done properly from scratch) the topsides and decks are Awlgripped. There most certainly is 'land' that is painted and underwater for that time frame.

I've had virtually no problem with blistering BUT (big but ) I think it has to do with meticulous prep work and making sure that the hull is bone dry before anything goes on it. Then allow very long times for cure between the primers and topcoats and then final launching . I believe that if you do not rush the process and try to throw the boat overboard within 3 months of starting the whole process you stand a better chance of getting a more durable and blister proof finish .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    There might be a single stage paint which can tolerate constant underwater exposure, but I am almost certain you will not find a basecoat/clearcoat paint that will hold up. If you do your research and find a paint that can endure underwater, please post it. I know Imron will not endure for more than a couple weeks at a time before it needs to be dried out. Have you considered a lift?

Check out Supermarinepaint.com , beautiful finish, easy to apply, U/V resistant, fuel solvent resistant - very durable and recommended for prolonged underwater submersion.
    I've used their clear urethane which really is crystal clear - one season so far , looks great

Thread Information