Thread: 22 Classic - 1989 vs. 1992

22 Classic - 1989 vs. 1992

Good morning

I know that Chris Craft had the Donzi brand for a few years, during this time period. What I am curious about is, if someone had an opportunity to own either a 1989 22 Classic, this one is outfitted with a Mercruiser 502 / Bravo One drive vs. 1992 22 Classic, which is outfitted with the OMC 454 / King Cobra drive, which is the better boat?

Even in regards to other aspects of the build quality, not just the engine / drives as those things can be changed. Was it a better time for the quality of these boats when Chris Craft owned it or was it NOT necessarily a good thing? Also, does anyone know the years Chris Craft owned it? Did the hull design even change at all between 1989 and 1992?

Thanks for your input guys.

OMC owned Donzi and Chris Craft as well as other boat companies during the years from 88 to 93 they moved classic production to the Chris Craft factory in goshen indiana those boats carry a CCA HIN . during those years they used OMC cobra and King cobra ford powered combos they also had chevy powered combos as well.

OMC sold to AMH in 93 or so then you see Merc power coming back in. the CC donzi were laid up pretty well and were solid boats CC put the reversed chine into 22 classic
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by yorkey View Post
    Good morning

I know that Chris Craft had the Donzi brand for a few years, during this time period. What I am curious about is, if someone had an opportunity to own either a 1989 22 Classic, this one is outfitted with a Mercruiser 502 / Bravo One drive vs. 1992 22 Classic, which is outfitted with the OMC 454 / King Cobra drive, which is the better boat?

Even in regards to other aspects of the build quality, not just the engine / drives as those things can be changed. Was it a better time for the quality of these boats when Chris Craft owned it or was it NOT necessarily a good thing? Also, does anyone know the years Chris Craft owned it? Did the hull design even change at all between 1989 and 1992?

Thanks for your input guys.
    I am not sure about the build quality of one vs. the other. I have a '93 OMC Chris Craft boat and the build quality is more than adequate for what the boat is and it's use.

That said, I think I would simply buy whichever one was in better shape and maintained properly. Was the '89 boat re-powered?

Good Luck.
    JZ
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

Thread Information