Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cig 20 Outboard????

Cig 20 Outboard????

Well it has been awhile....I am looking at this supposed cig 20 1974, just have pictures at this point and she may have been posted here before. Seller says she has a Larsen HIN #....not CRT.
    He did some research and thinks Kiekhaefer owned Larsen and may have done a deal with Aronow to build a few of these as race boats?? Interior looks kinda sketchy to me....especially the dash. looking at the stern the hull rakes are quite different than say a classic 22 but then I really don't have any cig 20 experience, any of you have any ideas or is this a knockoff?

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cig 201.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	80497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cig 202.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	80498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cig203.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	80499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cig 204.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	80500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cig205.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	80501  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cig207.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	80502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cig208.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	80503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cig 20 9.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	80504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cig 20 10.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	80505  

I think Cig 20s have behaved very well with big blocks. If so, I'd be concerned an outboard would not be well balanced. Would want evidence it wasn't a flawed concept before buying. Antbody know?
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO1 View Post
    I am looking at this supposed cig 20 1974. Seller says she has a Larsen HIN.
    I have info on these somewhere that I will dig out tonight. Putting the ID issue aside for a moment, what year is the that motor and how much does he want for the package?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

certainly looks like a cig 20 to me - but likely a splash with no CRT HIN. The cockpit appears identical to the 74 that I owned - complete with the forward locker in front of the faring.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    I have info on these somewhere that I will dig out tonight. Putting the ID issue aside for a moment, what year is the that motor and how much does he want for the package?

We are negotiating on price right now subject to verifying what this is....ballpark $5,000

Quote Originally Posted by seano View Post
    certainly looks like a cig 20 to me - but likely a splash with no CRT HIN. The cockpit appears identical to the 74 that I owned - complete with the forward locker in front of the faring.
    Yep, it sure has the lines of a genuine 20' Cig.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

1993 motor. We are negotiating on price right now subject to verifying what this is....ballpark $5,000
    Remember that Cigarette never made an OB model in the 20. The true factory OBs, which were very few, were 21's. Now a converted 20' Cig would measure 19'6" down the centerline so that would be a good starting point for you to see what the splash is. If I recall, the factory produced fewer than 10 Outboard 21s overall. Very rare.

Now on the motor, I'm assuming that it is a carb'd Mercury 2.5 liter V6 as a 1993. That is a lot of weight for a 2.5 hamster to push around. You would want to check leakdown, not just compression. If both are strong than it is worth $900 - $1,300 in good shape. If it's a salt water motor, it's worth nothing as 20 year old motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Remember that Cigarette never made an OB model in the 20. The true factory OBs, which were very few, were 21's. Now a converted 20' Cig would measure 19'6" down the centerline so that would be a good starting point for you to see what the splash is. If I recall, the factory produced fewer than 10 Outboard 21s overall. Very rare.

Now on the motor, I'm assuming that it is a carb'd Mercury 2.5 liter V6 as a 1993. That is a lot of weight for a 2.5 hamster to push around. You would want to check leakdown, not just compression. If both are strong than it is worth $900 - $1,300 in good shape. If it's a salt water motor, it's worth nothing as 20 year old motor.

So is there anything you know about this HIN # being LARS for Larsen Boat Company? I think the motor has been in salt water....I wasnt putting a whole lot of value on it....stupid question #1...does splash mean knockoff? lol

No, I don't. Get a hold of Lauri and she can run the research for you on what is going on for a small fee. Here is a picture of a genuine Cig 20 I/O bottom to compare it to.

Lauri Tweedale
    New England Marine Documentation
    2 Central Street
    Winchester MA 01890
    Tel 781.721.4500
    Fax 781721.5509
    www.boatdoc.com

Attached Images Attached Images  

Just to add to the thread , seeing we're on the topic ..
    There's a local power boat racing club here that until recently utilized mostly small Euro and some US made outboard hulls for closed circuit racing .Once a year they hold their premier event 'The Around the Island Race' . Back in '73 or so one of the members who was quite successful wanted his Around the Island title back and he went to Don to buy a Cig 20 . Bear in mind that the local organization was all outboards and there was no O/B Cigs back then . Don sold him an unrigged all black naked 20.
    Once it got here the owner cut a well for it and turned the transom into an O/B .
    It came out pretty good visually and they put the largest Merc available at the time on it .
    I don't think ' brackets' were out then yet . Coming , but not available .
    I'm taking a guess that the engine was probably around 200hp and because it was a Cig great things were expected of it .
    In the end the top speed was a massive let down and everything else still went past him with ease.
    BUT , he did have a wave crusher like none of the others and never had to pull back on the throttle !
    In the end I think they realized that the boat ,as built , needed V8 power .

Actually , it's still kicking around in use as a pleasure boat .The last time I saw it it had a newish V6 Yammy on it , but I've never seen the boat run set up this way.
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

That makes sense MC. I can see how someone might want to do that conversion to a Cigarette 20' I/O hull. I did the exact same thing to my Ultra 23XS which was an I/O boat. He may have even rigged it with the "hot" Mercury 3.4L 275hp Cosworth OB. What Island are you on?

When George Linder designed the Challenger 21 specifically for OB power this started a bit of a mini war on the race circuit. It's before my time but I believe that the first Challenger 21 was 1976 or so. They were incredibly capable boats and I suspect that seeing this, Cigarette tried to make a competitive boat by stretching there proven 20' I/O hull and turning it into a 21' O/B hull. Alas, the 21's did not work and were a flop. They made less than a dozen of them and every now and then you see a true factory Cig 21 OB pop up for sale for around $10k. They had the center console throttle pod.

OB is a 1993. We are negotiating on price right now subject to verifying what this is....ballpark $5,000
    What year is the hull?

Greg , I'm in Bermuda and the running of the Around the Island Race is tomorrow !
    A quick google search would get lots of results using the right words .

Interestingly , a classmate of mine who was a serious boat head and went on to open a successful marine business got into the racing scene with one of the first Challengers . It was the tan/burgundy combo and seeing he was an OMC man , was rigged with an Evinrude .
    So good was the boat and his prep work and experience that he reset all the records for the Round the Island Race for about 5 consecutive years .

Another friend bought over a custom all blue I/O package for pleasure use.
    I don't know what ended up becoming of the O/B one but the I/O suffered neglect under subsequent owners and is rotting in a garden somewhere .

When you have a boat that is complete balsa core construction the owner has to be a bit more knowledgeable than the owner of a resin bucket , IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Greg, I'm in Bermuda and the running of the Around the Island Race is tomorrow! Interestingly , a classmate of mine who was a serious boat head and went on to open a successful marine business got into the racing scene with one of the first Challengers.
    I wonder if there is a live video feed of that race? That would be fun to watch. I have never seen a Cig 21 OB running. The Cig 20 I/O with big power has done 100mph on several occasions and there is a video of it somewhere.

Greg , you can find basic info on some of the entries here

http://bernews.com/2014/08/additiona...race-entrants/

and info on the course here

http://bernews.com/2014/08/around-th...at-race-route/

Video coverage is normally only available the following day if someone has any and has submitted it .
    It's normally only snippets taken from a single vantage point , not the entire race.

It's already expensive enough , I doubt that someone would be generous enough to bring in a private helicopter to cover it as well ..

When I started watching it sometime in the 60' s the fastest time around was something like 1.5 hours . Now it's down to about 39 minutes !

One year , long before I was even thought of, my pops and an uncle participated. They had a 30hp Johnson which was almost the biggest engine then and they packed a thermos of tea and biscuits for refreshments.
    They weren't able to enjoy them though because the bottom of the hull split open and they had to beach the boat.

Ohh , the good ole days . lol

Thread Information