Thread: Ignition, starter, Solenoid ?

Ignition, starter, Solenoid ?

Hi Guys,

I am having an issue when I try and start the boat. When I turn the key I am getting 1 short click sound, and nothing happens, engine doesn't turn over, starter doesn't make that turning over sound as if the battery is dead, just a click . If I keep trying or wait a few minutes and try again the boat will turn right over. Any Ideas,

Thanks
    Alex

Just a possibility, Merc uses an additional starter relay in the engine wiring harness to insure there's plenty of current to engage the starter solenoid. It may be failing. They're located on an engine mounted bracket along w/the main circuit breaker. Also, they're quite inexpensive. If this is a vintage boat, change it anyway.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I think the starter's solenoid craps out before the booster solenoid. Check the yellow/red wire for current at both solenoids when turning the key. Note . that if you get current at the starter's solenoid on that yellow/red wire the booster solenoid is working.
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

I had the same intermittent starting issue last year. Long story short, it was resolved when I changed out my battery cables. Cleaning the terminals, rebuilding the starter solenoid, replacing the switch...all because I thought I was getting adequate power to the starter...at least my starting circuit is now new!
    -Kev

Clean the battery terminals/cables. Simple first. Then move up the chain.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Quote Originally Posted by Pismo View Post
    Clean the battery terminals/cables. Simple first. Then move up the chain.
    I am hoping it will be this easy. The weather on Long Island is just starting to break after 12" of rain, so hopefully I can get around to it tonight.

On a separate note yesterday I was able to drain the gas tank change the fuel filter again and change the oil, and just in time, I was wondering why I was only able to get 2 qtrs. out of her .

I am not sure how other 16 are equipped but my 16 has the storage bin cut out of the floor for access to the gas tank and hull. Is this standard. Question being If I ever did have to abandon the old tank, not wanting to remove the deck.. Would this location suffice for a new home?

I had the same issue on my 2003 18 350 MPI. I wish I could find the invoice.The mechanic replaced a starter relay/solenoid that sat somewhat on the top of the engine. It was only an hours labor for the repair, and that was because he had to come back later in the week when he got the part. I wish I could be more descriptive but it cured the problem and was a relatively inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by tmh View Post
    I had the same issue on my 2003 18 350 MPI. I wish I could find the invoice.The mechanic replaced a starter relay/solenoid that sat somewhat on the top of the engine. It was only an hours labor for the repair, and that was because he had to come back later in the week when he got the part. I wish I could be more descriptive but it cured the problem and was a relatively inexpensive.
    Was simply a loose negative on the battery terminal, don't know what the previous owner did but
    I was unable to loosen the bolt holding down the cable, seamed like it wasn't treaded correctly when installed and they just muscled it on. Cut the bolt and wire and installed a new lead. Starts up every time.

Thank you
    Alex

Thread Information