Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clunk! Bang! Click!

Clunk! Bang! Click!

Heard this heart stopping "clunk" sound when trying to start engine. Let go of key for a few seconds and tried again. This time the engine started fine. The following week the same thing happened. Any idea what it could be? Loose starter bolts? Bendix gear not engaging all the way? Broken flywheel tooth(s)? I havent investigated anything yet.

knee jerk reply ; starter

Bad head gasket, Water in the cylinder. I blew up the high torque starter on mine I had white smoke billowing out of one bank, Kind of a dead give away, but i insisted on totaling the starter
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

I'm hoping hard crab is right. Once engine starts it runs strong. I'll be checking it out this weekend.

water in cly pull the plugs and check them manifolds and riser could be leaking water in cly I see it all the time
    mario

Even if engine runs great once running??

Risers, Start there!

I just bought a SWEET 16. Was running great then all of a sudden running rough. Def pull plugs and see if water comes out when you turn it over or if plugs are dripping with water like mine were. START WITH THE RISERS! 4 bolts and you will have an answer. If no water do a leak down, could be head or manifold gasket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can I start over? When I turned the key to start the engine I heard a clunk sound. Like metal hitting metal. I immediately let go of the key. Then I turned key again to start engine and everything worked perfect. Engine started and ran strong. The same thing happened a week later.

Is it really as bad as some of you are suggesting? Or is it a starter/flywheel issue?

Quote Originally Posted by hardcrab View Post
    knee jerk reply ; starter
    still leaning this way

Could be starter, but you really should check

It could be the starter if the only thing you hear is the clunk - no crank movement and straining against compression. I had similar symptoms with a bad starter in my car many years ago.

However, really expensive things can happen if there is water leaking into the cylinders: bent valves, cracked block, pistons rusting in the cylinders while it is parked, etc. I think you really want to follow the advice above and check for water without delay.

Running well is no guarantee. I lost the motor on my 18 last year due to a bad cylinder. The yard found water in the oil after I pulled it out at season end. Motor never ran better than on that last run.

Have to agree with ya on that one. Same thing with Race cars. I don't get it, just before they blow they run stronger than ever.

Definitely not a riser gasket if you here metal on metal.

Quote Originally Posted by donzidon View Post
    It could be the starter if the only thing you hear is the clunk - no crank movement and straining against compression. I had similar symptoms with a bad starter in my car many years ago.

However, really expensive things can happen if there is water leaking into the cylinders: bent valves, cracked block, pistons rusting in the cylinders while it is parked, etc. I think you really want to follow the advice above and check for water without delay.

Running well is no guarantee. I lost the motor on my 18 last year due to a bad cylinder. The yard found water in the oil after I pulled it out at season end. Motor never ran better than on that last run.

Quote Originally Posted by DONZI-DON View Post
    Have to agree with ya on that one. Same thing with Race cars. I don't get it, just before they blow they run stronger than ever.

Definitely not a riser gasket if you here metal on metal.
    I think he meant the metal on metal sound of the starter hitting the flywheel but unable to turn over a hydrolocked engine and the riser could be the source of the water in some cylinders.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

A starter solenoid on its last leg will do this. The solenoid will close with a clunk, but a good electrical connection is not made and nothing happens.
    They're worth changing as they are in the $20.00 range and can be a cheap fix. Also, it can be changed w/o removing the starter.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    A starter solenoid on its last leg will do this. The solenoid will close with a clunk, but a good electrical connection is not made and nothing happens.
    They're worth changing as they are in the $20.00 range and can be a cheap fix. Also, it can be changed w/o removing the starter.
    +1
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Thanks for all the advise. Weather stinks here this weekend. I will get back at it soon

Thread Information