Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Prop advice for Scot VanAlstine's boat

Prop advice for Scot VanAlstine's boat

I purchased Scott's 22, and I finally put it in the water this Summer. Its running well, but I have been having a devil of a time getting it to plane out properly. The prop seems to start cavitating around 2,500 rpm and it stalls out revving past 3,000 so you have to start over. Once in a while it hooks up and takes off for a thrilling ride, but you start the process over when you have to slow down at the end of the bay. I have been trying a variety of trim strategies, but not in seems to wok consistently. I am going to have the prop checked.
    Some of you saw this boat in Scott's hands, and I am hoping you can offer some advice based on what you saw. Wish I could ask him.
    Also, my nieces and nephews would like to us the boat for water skiing occasionally. What prop might you recommend for that?
    Boat is a 1983 22 Classic with a 454 and Bravo 1. Looks like a raised X dimension because the air cleaner sticks up into a neat hood scoop from a Mustang. It used to be outboard powered, and all my experience is with a very5 full fuel tank.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Don

What prop is on it now?
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by donzidon View Post
    I purchased Scott's 22, and I finally put it in the water this Summer. Its running well, but I have been having a devil of a time getting it to plane out properly. The prop seems to start cavitating around 2,500 rpm and it stalls out revving past 3,000 so you have to start over. Once in a while it hooks up and takes off for a thrilling ride, but you start the process over when you have to slow down at the end of the bay. I have been trying a variety of trim strategies, but not in seems to wok consistently. I am going to have the prop checked.
    Some of you saw this boat in Scott's hands, and I am hoping you can offer some advice based on what you saw. Wish I could ask him.
    Also, my nieces and nephews would like to us the boat for water skiing occasionally. What prop might you recommend for that?
    Boat is a 1983 22 Classic with a 454 and Bravo 1. Looks like a raised X dimension because the air cleaner sticks up into a neat hood scoop from a Mustang. It used to be outboard powered, and all my experience is with a very5 full fuel tank.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Don
    I can almost guarantee that a Revolution 4 would hook up like you want. You might be able to turn the 23P.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    I can almost guarantee that a Revolution 4 would hook up like you want. You might be able to turn the 23P.
    Don, after thinking more about your needs I believe a 21P Rev 4 would be better than a 23P.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

thank you

Thanks for the advice. I will give the 23 a try. The current prop is a Turbo 1. Not sure of the pitch. I will have a prop shop check it. Its great fun, but I want to be able to cruise along in the 20's as well as go fast. Do you think that filling the vent holes would help?
    Regards,
    Don

Thanks for the advice. I will give the 23 a try. The current prop is a Turbo 1. Not sure of the pitch. I will have a prop shop check it. Its great fun, but I want to be able to cruise along in the 20's as well as go fast. Do you think that filling the vent holes would help?
    Regards,
    Don
    Don,
    I always leave the vent hole plugs installed which is how they come from the factory on the Revolution 4. I believe the 21P will be more in line with your needs. The prop hooks up like no other prop I have ever run with very little slip. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

There is a possibility that you may need to run a 4 blade, my 22 had a high X a 3 blade would slip a fair bit out of the hole.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

If the vent holes are wide open then that's more then likely the problem. I'd put solid plug in & if you seem to need slip then start adding some hole back in the vents.
    RickS-E

Agree, the least expensive thing to do is plug all the vent holes initially. Do you have (4) holes or (3) on your three blade Turbo 1 prop. Also, what is the diameter of the holes?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Didn't that prop work for Scott? Sounds like you are trimmed up to much when your trying to get on plane. Tuck the drive all the way in and don't nail it full throttle out of the hole, try like 3/4 throttle and as the boat just starts to get up on top trim up a slight bit to slip the prop. I'll bet it's not the prop it's your technique
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Quote Originally Posted by joseph m. hahnl View Post
    Didn't that prop work for Scott? Sounds like you are trimmed up to much when your trying to get on plane. Tuck the drive all the way in and don't nail it full throttle out of the hole, try like 3/4 throttle and as the boat just starts to get up on top trim up a slight bit to slip the prop. I'll bet it's not the prop it's your technique

Logical .................

I had it trimmed all theway in and fiddled with the tabs. It was turning 3,000 rpms and going about 15 mph. The mechanic who checked out the driveline had the same experience. When it finally hooked up it really took off with a nice level attitude. We think that may be the way Scott set it up - all or nothing at all. I am having a prop shop check for damage and to fill the three vent holes. One per blade. I read that they are designed to generate slip at low RPMs to let a lower torque motor get up to speed. Great for an outboard but maybe not do good for a 454. I will let you know about the results of that change when I get to run the boar again in 3 weeks. The 4 blade sounds like it may be more flexible for family boating.
    Thanks again for the advice.
    Don

I had it trimmed all theway in and fiddled with the tabs. It was turning 3,000 rpms and going about 15 mph. The mechanic who checked out the driveline had the same experience. When it finally hooked up it really took off with a nice level attitude. We think that may be the way Scott set it up - all or nothing at all. I am having a prop shop check for damage and to fill the three vent holes. One per blade. I read that they are designed to generate slip at low RPMs to let a lower torque motor get up to speed. Great for an outboard but maybe not do good for a 454. I will let you know about the results of that change when I get to run the boar again in 3 weeks. The 4 blade sounds like it may be more flexible for family boating.
    Thanks again for the advice.
    Don
    You need to ease it on plane. Slow and steady on the throttle and hold it at certain points while the boat catches up.

A 4 blade hydromotive clever style prop will fix the planing, increase cruise, but lower top end.

Before you "drive" yourself nuts, you need to actually measure the distance the centerline of the prop shaft is below the keel of the boat. Level the trailer and drive first. Who knows what he did when he converted the hull from OB . Once you have that as a baseline you can easily go to the next step.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Before you "drive" yourself nuts, you need to actually measure the distance the centerline of the prop shaft is below the keel of the boat. Level the trailer and drive first. Who knows what he did when he converted the hull from OB . Once you have that as a baseline you can easily go to the next step.
    The boat is documented on here by Harbormaster. It's got a 16.5" X dimension. If memory serves that puts it a half inch up from the Shelby

Thread Information