Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Boat Values

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    It really bugs me to think that I could have had Ted's Ilmor 22 for quite a bit less then I have in my current 22. If the cash were there I would have snatched that boat up fast and put mine on the market.
    Yea, what was I thinking? Glad its back home with me.
    Stay tuned for pics of m X-18 full make over.
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain
    "Pioneer of insane speed concepts & creations"

if you are a member of any of the power boat FB pages there are some killer deals on what I would call the next tier up from entry level go fasts the 24-30 foot range making the first time buyer $$$$$ get way more boat why buy a 16-22 footer when i can get a 24-30 footer for the same price. There have been a few deals local that have me pondering selling the hornet and buying my last boat something around 27-29 feet
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em .......................1995 Ultimate Warlock 21' LXI Duramax Diesel. 77mph, $30,000 and downright cheap to run
    Matty, why would you need a bigger boat on a lake?

This 21' Warlock has a 650hp Duramax diesel AND my price of $30,000 was wrong. The owner wants $23,000. You will be the only guy on your lake that has an 80mph smoker that gets like, 5 times the gas mileage of your current boat. Not an ocean boat, but at $23,000 one hell of a lake boat for haulin the peeps with 1100lbs of torque It's a short drive to Ohio.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Here is another example to spread the discussion beyond just Donzi's. This is a 1989 Hallett 240 Closed Bow. It is 100% stock and maintained with an open checkbook to like new condition including being kept inside a climate controlled garage by the owner. Has the proven 365hp 454 Magnum and B1 drive. Hallett has an outstanding reputation for build quality and the 240 is a tried and true hull design. It's a big 24 with an 8'4" beam. Closed Bow 240's are also hard to find as most were open bows. In addition, the gel colors are current for a 25 year old boat and the trailer is mint. The owner wants $30,000. If someone could finance the purchase it would be gone in a week but because you have to write a check for $30,000 who knows how long it will take. If you bought this boat new it would be over $100,000 with a non-blue motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Greg,
    Would you please post a link to the yellow Hallett advertisement?
    Not until I get a measurement on how many inches your TW 23's Bravo prop shaft is below the keel.
    So here we are two months later and used boat prices are dropping like a rock as Winter approaches. Earlier I posted a 1989 Hallet 240 closed deck above, in mint condition and asking $30k. Two months later and you can buy the same boat but as a 1992. It has identical yellow gel colors and the 1992 even has the better 390hp Magnum 502 Bravo combo. You'd think the price would at least be the same $30k given it is 3 years newer and has a better motor, right? $30,000?

Nope, actually the seller of the 1992 wants $16,000 Hallett build quality is exceptional. The 240 has been in there line-up for 20 years. To find a closed bow at this price is an amazing opportunity
    Attached Images Attached Images

Boutique builders on the west coast do not drive the boat values across the industry. Look at Cigarette, Nortech, Outerlimits, MTI, and Skater. The values of these boats are holding their own, and gaining. What does a Hallet or a Warlock have to do with the value of a Donzi Classic, any way? Want to know why there are so few Donzi Classics available on the market? No one has to give them away, and most won't. These boats are being sold back channel.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip se View Post
    Boutique builders on the west coast do not drive the boat values across the industry. Look at Cigarette, Nortech, Outerlimits, MTI, and Skater. The values of these boats are holding their own, and gaining. What does a Hallet or a Warlock have to do with the value of a Donzi Classic, any way? Want to know why there are so few Donzi Classics available on the market? No one has to give them away, and most won't. These boats are being sold back channel.
    Really Road? I'd say very few people of the performance boat "population" have the bank to buy a 30'-50' Nortech, Outerlimits, MTI or a cat. The few that do really don't care much about depreciation anyway even if they depreciate less than most. Hallet, while on the West, is far from a boutique builder. There are a ton of Classics available on the used market and only a handful change hands back channel. And in closing, your right my posting a mint Hallett 240 that one month is priced at $30,000 and then drops by half has absolutely nothing to do with the value of a Donzi. It's just an outstanding deal.

Really Road? I'd say very few people of the performance boat "population" have the bank to buy a 30'-50' Nortech, Outerlimits, MTI or a cat. The few that do really don't care much about depreciation anyway even if they depreciate less than most. Hallet, while on the West, is far from a boutique builder. There are a ton of Classics available on the used market and only a handful change hands back channel. And in closing, your right my posting a mint Hallett 240 that one month is priced at $30,000 and then drops by half has absolutely nothing to do with the value of a Donzi. It's just an outstanding deal.
    Greg, I went back and read this entire thread, before posting last night. You have argued my points here, and pretty much everywhere else on the .net, so why stop now?

My point of listing the premiere boat builders in the business is to make the point that the entire performance boat market is not in the tank, and it isn't. There are buys to be had in this arena, but not for the I got me a steal on this offshore dreamer crowd. You get what you pay for. There are some very nice twin step Cigs and Fountains out there that can be bought fairly reasonable too, but far from steals.

Deal or not, Hallett is hardly a main stream boat make. You buy it, you better plan on keeping it for awhile, and it's reflects in the price you pay. No one wants one. Same goes for the Warlocks I notice you like to post.

In comparison to the boutique makes, there are one heck of a lot of Classics out there, and when you look at the general population, not many are for sale. And as for the real nice ones owned by those who are willing to wait, they are bringing a fair price.

Warlocks, halletts, and eliminators are west coast boats. Look at the Mohave Craigslist where there will be pages of halletts and probably no classic Donzi's.

Boats are very geographic. There are probably west coasters saying that Donzi's are not mainstream boats.

And it is not hard to get a loan on an old boat. This assumes you have good credit and make decent money.

Classic Donzi's are similar to corvettes. Everyone wants one (east coast anyway) but they also tend to want a decent deal. Some wait and get more by finding just the right buyer. They are easy to keep around because they are fun for even occasional use. On the west coast same goes for the west coast brands....

1996 22 Value?

I read the thread and lots of good info/opinions shared. Not sure this is the intent of the thread but, I'll ask anyway.

What's my 22' Classic worth?
    1996 with 250 total hours, 502Mag with something less that 250hours, Gil Exhaust, K-Plans, bla bla bla, 2004 Alum trailer.
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Hire a reputable surveyor and let him do his thing.
    If he reports the boat structure in good condition, the esthetics are good, and it runs well, then
    it should be between $20-$30K.
    Read my intro post about condition and be real honest w/yourself about the overall condition though.
    Sellers think their boats are a "1", and buyers think your boat is a "4" or a "5".
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    If he reports the boat structure in good condition, the esthetics are good, and it runs well, then
    Read my intro post about condition and be real honest w/yourself about the overall condition though.
    Sellers think their boats are a "1", and buyers think your boat is a "4" or a "5".
    May boat is a 3. She's not perfect but is structurally & mechanically sound, everything works, and shows like a 5 year old boat not an 18 year old boat. My guess is mid 20s...
    Thanks!
    Thank you, Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Good advice from George.

Agree experts do their thing is a good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip se View Post
    Good advice from George.
    I bought my boat from a very reputable mechanic/marina owner that had gone thru her with the original plan to keep the boat as his own toy.
    He invested his time and $ bringing the engine drive system back to 100%. The list was fairly long so I'll not bore you all. As for the hull, there are no signs of an issues, and I have checked the transom and stringers with a moisture meter. I'm not quire sure what more a survey would tell me at this point; it would be another opionion that a buyer would likely value over mine...
    Thank you, Patrick

the classics have always held their value well, and all that has been said about condition and care is true.Lately the older more rare/unique classics have started to sell at high values about in the range of what newer ones are selling for . This market is driven by the buyers and some prices I thought were high but the buyers are paying it so i guess the market is going up. Complete unstarted projects have sold for good money , the buyers looking to do a project themselves are willing to pay for all the little things. Well maybe not so little things like interior and hardware the hard to find or big money to one off items are driving the price up.

Example a 1998 22 classic 385 VP DPX for sale by me is mid 20s about what my 1968 benchseat is worth in its current condition. I think it will be time to test the waters this coming spring. We are looking for something a bit bigger
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    I think it will be time to test the waters this coming spring. We are looking for something a bit bigger
    Matty...........Staying in the Aronow line of boating? -or- looking outside?
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Thread Information