When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I was thinking about this a little bit and wanted to post it to see if it made sence.

This is how I feel about buying a boat because I collect, restore and enjoy them. Its easier for me to buy an older boat that needs work for say $5,000-$15,000 then it would be to buy a $30,000-$40,000 boat that is running and in ok shape but will need work and money invested later on.

The only reason why I say this is that it seems like a hard hit to lay that much money out all at once instead of buying something and slowly investing in the restoration over a little bit of time. And the finished product is exactly how you wanted it and its done correctly and 100%. Now you have a turn key boat that will last a very, very long time.

Money is a lot tighter now. To me it it would be alot harder to part with all of that up front than to just spread it out as you go. Now I know some people cant do a lot of things that are required for a restoration and have to pay someone so it might change things a little. But for the most part I really feel that all of us on this sight are pretty damn handy or know someone else that is and is willing to give a hand for a few beers.

I think that the DONZI group is much more diversifiedthan most.

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

the road to improvement comes from within

be the ball Noonan

repeat after me

the donzi is good, the donzi is fast , the donzi is loud, I am the donzi......................

now let's gather in a circle

kumbaya, kumbaya

someone's jumping wakes kumbaya

someone's break noise laws kumbaya

someone's running dyno oil with out enuff zinc in their roller motor kumbaya

someone's running over 70 without external power steering kumbaya

someone's waxing their shorty kumbaya

there don't we feel better isn't life grand

what happened to the delta I used to know
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pearson View Post
    I was thinking about this a little bit and wanted to post it to see if it made sence.

This is how I feel about buying a boat because I collect, restore and enjoy them. Its easier for me to buy an older boat that needs work for say $5,000-$15,000 then it would be to buy a $30,000-$40,000 boat that is running and in ok shape but will need work and money invested later on.

The only reason why I say this is that it seems like a hard hit to lay that much money out all at once instead of buying something and slowly investing in the restoration over a little bit of time. And the finished product is exactly how you wanted it and its done correctly and 100%. Now you have a turn key boat that will last a very, very long time.

Money is a lot tighter now. To me it it would be alot harder to part with all of that up front than to just spread it out as you go. Now I know some people cant do a lot of things that are required for a restoration and have to pay someone so it might change things a little. But for the most part I really feel that all of us on this sight are pretty damn handy or know someone else that is and is willing to give a hand for a few beers.

I think that the DONZI group is much more diversifiedthan most.
    Scott, give it some time. That boat is going nowhere for $40,000. I'd call him back in the late fall with another offer.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Scott,

I agree 100% with your thinking. I couldn't have plunked down $35,000 for a used Donzi, but I could do a lot of the work myself, and spread the financial hit over 4 years.

And ended up with exactly what I wanted, and for the most part, I really enjoyed the process and the satisfaction of seeing it come together.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Yes, Scott I think this is common thinking... At least that's how I have always done things.

I bought my '72 911 for $3,500... it took me 3 years to get it finished and I sold it for $38,000 after 4 years of use.... built over time.

I bought my Greavette for $5,000 in 2008. Just got it wet in late July 2013. Of course I'll not be making any $ on it but, I love it just the way it is. (and took a 3rd at the ACBS show even with the modern motor!) 5 years.... just say'n.

I paid $900 for my Ski Sporter + $1,200 for the trailer. It cost me about $550 to go get it from Long island. I don't expect it will be wet anytime soon (maybe 3-4 years) and I expect to invest another $20,000 in the project. Nobody buys an early Ski Sporter for $23,000 so I will have another toy that I really enjoy and had fun building over time.

I would NEVER have made any of those purchases for the final (or perceived) value. Over time I may have paid more but, it didn't hurt me financially nor did my wife scream for a divorce! And whatever $ I lose is cheap therapy.

Who knows if this orange boat will sell at an overinflated price to someone that just "must" have it. I can tell you it wouldn't be me and there's many that think this way. I agree with Carl, Things change. I'd say try again later.
    911drive0006.JPGAugust 17 2013 015.JPG002.JPG
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Guys,
    I would really hope he gets 40K or close to that. It would be nice to see the market on these older Donzi's grow. It would make all of ours worth a bit more. I think we would all be good with that. I know there was a larger offer than mine given towards this boat. I'm ok with that and hope it just goes to a person who will appriciate it for what it is and can be.

I really dont need another baot thats for sure...I really need to finish 3 that are apart now!

Scott Pearson
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

You could have Parnell's super sweet 21 GT ready to go, fully restored & reinforced & very fast for that same price. $40,000. Now which would you buy? A project boat that might go 70 mph after putting 30-40 grand into it or an awesome ready to drive unique & dialed in turn-key boat? $40,000 for Pzazz? Never happen, not even close. (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    You could have Parnell's super sweet 21 GT ready to go, fully restored & reinforced & very fast for that same price. $40,000. Now which would you buy? A project boat that might go 70 mph after putting 30-40 grand into it or an awesome ready to drive unique & dialed in turn-key boat? $40,000 for Pzazz? Never happen, not even close. (IMO)
    As in collector cars, there are people who appreciate a '39 Bugatti 57 SC for what it is rather than actually trying to go 110 MPH in one. There are others who would buy a Jag E Type Lightweight and race it in vintage events.
    To each his own. More than likely the eventual purchaser of the BS Hornet will buy it for what it is rather than how fast they can make it go.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I love Parnells GT 21 the first time I saw the boat. Its done very tastefully and done right. Its a great looking boat thats for sure. But I each of us like different styles and models etc.

Any old Donzi thats a v-drive is going to take huge HP to get to those upper double digits. I'm not about going 100MPH...I love the look of the v-drive. I have 3 of them. Sometimes you look like an ass trying to dock the damn thing buts thats the fun of it.

Scott Pearson
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    As in collector cars, there are people who appreciate a '39 Bugatti 57 SC for what it is rather than actually trying to go 110 MPH in one. There are others who would buy a Jag E Type Lightweight and race it in vintage events.
    To each his own. More than likely the eventual purchaser of the BS Hornet will buy it for what it is rather than how fast they can make it go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pearson View Post
    I love Parnells GT 21 the first time I saw the boat. Its done very tastefully and done right. Its a great looking boat thats for sure. But I each of us like different styles and models etc.

Any old Donzi thats a v-drive is going to take huge HP to get to those upper double digits. I'm not about going 100MPH...I love the look of the v-drive. I have 3 of them. Sometimes you look like an ass trying to dock the damn thing buts thats the fun of it.
    That's cool that you have three of them and are trying to get a fourth!

IMO, regardless of the condition, sentimentality, originality, coolness.....

the boat is priced at the $$ value of a medical procedure that is required, not for any of the above reasons

there is no value quotient in any appraisal books for that.........

maybe the seller should further negotiate the medical costs, and lower the boat price to the real value

I hope those avenues of thought result in 2 successful conclusions

just my .03, don't throw any pies (unless it's a key lime pie)
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Jim,
    I agree about trying to negotiate the cost of the procedure and I hope him all the best. However you can’t rely on or expect a certain amount of money for something because you need to pay for something that’s at a higher cost than what that something your selling is worth. What if the procedure was say…$100,000? Is that what the asking price would have been?

I would love to sell my home and move out to PA but the way the real estate market is I would lose almost 100K on my home. But if I truly want to move I will need to take that hit. But if I need to make that 100K up and price my home where that’s factored in…well…I’m going to be here for a very,very long time. And the market that I would be attracting at the lower cost has now shrunk to a very small audience because now my home is priced way to high .

It’s all relative.

Scott Pearson
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Maybe the economy will start to improve in a few years.

Hahahahahah....Almost choked on my sandwich!!

Scott Pearson
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information