Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: This Donzi Upholstery Work Is Unacceptable!

Josh, I will be in touch soon. I can assure you now though that this is not a high traffic area and that other damage is starting to occur elsewhere on the seat but the pics show where the tearing has started again. There was nothing abrasive on the seat. I bought this boat new and have taken excellent care of it. The front seats are where bare feet step to board or exit the boat or to enter from the bow. The back seat gets lounged on during breaks. The front seats get much more use and have almost no damage after 9 years. Very frustrating after all of the earlier conjecture as to the cause. I never indicated that you used a supplier other than PPI. Did I express dissatisfaction with my new seat on the same day that I noticed the tears? Yes. I honestly did not think that I had any remedy after 2 1/2 boating seasons. If we can resolve this than I will be eating crow for a long time and will also be posting praise of DonziDirect and PPI. Thank you for posting here. Carl.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Interesting response Josh.
    I would suppose that if Carl receives another new cushion (no matter the circumstances) and promises to lay a towel across the suspected area during times of ingress and egress, in addition to working on the engine. In other words, any time other than just sitting on it, it'd provide good evidence of either poor material, or excessive wear and abrasion.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Carl is there any chance of anything under the upholstery in a storage area that could be off gassing? An old flash light battery leaking, bottle of cleaner maybe something that you use on a daily basis to maintain your boat. Rags soaked in cleaning fluid, I don't just grasping for some answers for you.

Just a couple of thoughts. Maybe nothing like that is happening but worth a look.

Good luck with this Carl. It sounds like Josh is willing to work with you to find a resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    ... Did I express dissatisfaction with my new seat on the same day that I noticed the tears? Yes. I honestly did not think that I had any remedy after 2 1/2 boating seasons. Carl.
    Uhhh, how about pick up the phone to call and explain your situation.

It seems people nowadays seek the internet to blast good businesses to express their perceived entitlement.

Sorry to stir the pot, but this just doesn't sit well with me. Best of luck to reaching a resolution and what likely can only consist of a new seat. I applaud DD and PPI for stepping up in good faith, when they really don't need to. When this is done, the entire thread should be deleted.

Travis

EDIT - removed comment made in mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    C'mon... uhh, ya you did. Before your initial post was edited, you questioned that it was possible that DD used an alternate supplier and could have re-used a box with PPI logos on it. Josh obviously read your initial pre-edited post too.

It seems people nowadays seek the internet to blast good businesses to express their perceived entitlement.

Sorry to stir the pot, but this just doesn't sit well with me. Best of luck to reaching a resolution and what likely can only consist of a new seat. I applaud DD and PPI for stepping up in good faith, when they really don't need to. When this is done, the entire thread should be deleted.

Travis
    Travis, you had the guts to say what I was thinking but was afraid to express. I especially think Josh is both professional and took the high road here when many others in the same situation would not.
    Denying what was posted and then changing stories is bad karma.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Just wanted to chime in here and give my 2 cents. I address paint issues on a regular basis in my job and 99.9% of the time when we see a failure it’s due to poor prep or some sort of contamination. When we see these failures it’s in an isolated area. The only time it’s an entire failure is when it was mixed improperly, not applied correctly or even on a rare instance bad product. But like I said that would be an entire failure.

My point that I’m trying to make is paint doesn’t have a brain. It’s not going to fail is one spot and decide not to fail in others. If it was bad paint the entire job would fail. Just like if the vinyl, stitching or foam used in the seats were bad the entire job would be failing not an isolated area. If it’s just an isolated area like in this interior issue I would say that there is an underlying reason causing it. It’s not a material or workmanship failure at all.

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

C'mon... uhh, ya you did. Before your initial post was edited, you questioned that it was possible that DD used an alternate supplier and could have re-used a box with PPI logos on it. Josh obviously read your initial pre-edited post too.

Travis
    That is a blatant lie that never happened. Had the initial post been edited then it would say edited at the bottom of the post.

Moderators, please verify that the initial post was not changed and that no posts of mine were changed. Thank you.

Holy Smokes, why are you posting here just to lie and stir the pot and start trouble? Knock it off. My posts were not changed. You owe me and this forum an apology.

It is very early here in Michigan and I will try to contact Josh today after doing some chores. I do realize that the seat is way out of any warranty period but if something can be done then it would surely be appreciated.

Please ignore the post from Holy Smokes as it is not true. If anyone here can contact a moderator then you can verify this as a lie. I do not know what his motive is in posting that nonsense but I sure do not appreciate it.

The cushion was clearly made by PPI and has a PPI tag on the bottom.

edit (I will say when I edit a post except to fix grammar or spelling) Josh, I was out of town for a couple of days and missed your post on #24 I believe. I would appreciate it if you would verify that my initial post was not changed. Nor was any other post of mine changed. I'm being called a liar by a member here who has only posted 28 times in six years.

I know that Lenny moderated some posts here not long ago. I will try to contact him on the other Donzi forum to verify that my posts were not changed. HS, what the hell is your motive for causing me all of this trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    As I think about it I'm now wondering if PPI did that cushion. They have a top shelf reputation along with Fineline in Florida. I have never seen anyone complain about there work. Is it possible that Donzi Direct had something drop shipped from PPI that another shop did? Perhaps Donzi Direct was scrambling to fill orders and just used a PPI box to ship it. Just doesn't make sense, that's a hack job unless there was a vendor materials batch "defect". If there was PPI will back it with a new one.
    Does not look like Carls QUOTE TO ME.....

I don't have buckets, only the bench, and after 29 yrs I have one small tear by the thread on the drivers side Mr Vynl touched it up and it is as good as new
    Carl you are in good hands now. Chill and let them work on it.
    Just think how much gas you are saving.
    I have been in Carls Garage and there is nothing I saw that would cause that
    Kind of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Donnelly View Post
    Does not look like Carls QUOTE TO ME.....

I don't have buckets, only the bench, and after 29 yrs I have one small tear by the thread on the drivers side Mr Vynl touched it up and it is as good as new
    Carl you are in good hands now. Chill and let them work on it.
    Just think how much gas you are saving.
    I have been in Carls Garage and there is nothing I saw that would cause that
    Kind of damage.
    Thank you Ed. You are a good friend. I never saw that post. Here are the packing slips and the cushion has a PPI label on it. I don't care if my addy is visible. There was never any doubt who made this cushion. Holy Smokes, I'm waiting for that apology to me and this board but I think it will be a long wait.

Josh, I think that might be the post you saw.

DSCN3529.JPGDSCN3530.JPG

I'm not sure where you got this Holy Smokes. What you refer to above were my words (which you posted completely out of context btw) and were never written by Carl whatsoever.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pearson View Post
    Just wanted to chime in here and give my 2 cents. I address paint issues on a regular basis in my job and 99.9% of the time when we see a failure it’s due to poor prep or some sort of contamination. When we see these failures it’s in an isolated area. The only time it’s an entire failure is when it was mixed improperly, not applied correctly or even on a rare instance bad product. But like I said that would be an entire failure.

My point that I’m trying to make is paint doesn’t have a brain. It’s not going to fail is one spot and decide not to fail in others. If it was bad paint the entire job would fail. Just like if the vinyl, stitching or foam used in the seats were bad the entire job would be failing not an isolated area. If it’s just an isolated area like in this interior issue I would say that there is an underlying reason causing it. It’s not a material or workmanship failure at all.
    Scott, this is what my original seat looked like after 6 seasons. Total failure. What is happening now appears to be the early stages of the same thing happening again. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...282#post615282

Edit: PM sent to Lenny at .org

Edit 2: I guess it no longer says "last edited on ....." at the bottom of the page. The "report post" icon is also gone. I hate being called a liar.

(1) You post a pic of the old seat which is completely deceitful when you started this thread

(2) Then, you slam 2 company's, PPI + Josh saying you would never do business with them again, TWICE.

(3) Now, you want a dialog with your "Issue" after how many days ? And, turn this site upside down

(4) As a manufacture, and Rep for my company for 38 yrs. Your method sucks

(5)" Word " to PPI and Josh for even dealing with your "type"

(6)

Carl,
    I’m not disputing your pictures. All that I’msaying is that something else is going on to make this happen. If that wasn’t thecase the front seat bottoms would be doing the same thing as would the rest ofthe interior seats.

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Carl, this may sound like an affront but it is only intended an honest question asked with a reason, to try to promote tempered civility on the board. Do you understand a lie to be something a person knows is untrue but says is true anyway? Whereas, when a person believes something is true and says it, but it actually isn't true, that's a mistake but not a lie?

I ask as I don't see any firm evidence that HS did anything but make a mistake (if he even did that). It simply looks like he may have confused Greg G's statements with yours.

Now, for comparison, right off the bat you, in an outraged tone, blamed PPI and DD for delivering shoddy work when it is not known (not even yet) that they did any such thing. And a good deal of evidence suggests they did not do it, just as much as any evidence they did. You called HS a liar rather than saying he was incorrect about something (if he was even wrong, I don't claim to know but it appears likely that you can't know either). You also said posts could not be edited without a note below them appearing from the system, as proof HS is a liar. Are these lies, or mistakes on your part? By your standard for HS they are lies. Will you thus call yourself out as a serial liar, or alternatively, apologize to HS for calling him one? Seems like it should be one or the other, FWIW.

And again, I say this with friendly intent, because the distinction between being wrong and lying is important to understand or civility doesn't stand a chance in a place like this.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Thread Information