Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Bench Seat Hornet Values??? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
    ----Sorry Greg! I saw $20,000 in your post as well and now am corrected. The price that I know is $40,000 and the boat is in Lake George N.Y. ........Bill S
    No worries at all! Also, you could not be more correct about people who "want what they want" and will pay up. That is what I meant when I replied to Pearson's earlier post that it's both the right buyer, and the right timing. That said, if the new buyer (whether he ended up paying full ask of $40k, $30k, or even $20k) is capable of doing his own Carter or Pearson level work I suspect the costs would add up quickly. Very quickly.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

40K...wow. The owner will have a hell of a time getting half of that. Bill...Did you see the boat yourself? I did and spent a lot of time going through it. I would really watch what you have been told or if the person who looked at it knows exactly what they are looking for. I offered Chris Freihofer a pretty big number for this boat back in 2002. That was 12 years ago and before someone attempted to paint it. I can assure you...It was a lot nicer 12 years ago.

Hell...I would sell mine for a responsible offer if they are bringing that much for one that needs a lot of work.. The structure of my boat is completely done and done right, all new Bilt-Rite interior, cockpit cover and carpet, new windshield and frame restored, New scripts and decals, New steering wheel and New Teleflex chrome bezel all new NOS gauges, compass, Morse Control, Morse docking lights, Sparton air horns, etc...all in the original boxes and from the 60's.

Also speaking of other boats look at this 67 Barrel Back. We all heard about this boat a year or so ago. I was offered this boat and spent about 2 hours looking it over. This had a 427 with 2 4's! It was a higher HP motor than Pzazz and I could have bought this boat for $6500.00. He originally wanted 15K because he was under the impression that the motor was worth a ton of money. Sorry...their not. I passed on the boat because I didn't want another Barrel back. And it ended up selling for about that price. And it was 100% original with 2 Trailers and all new interior!

How about this BS Hornet? This was the only Daytona Marine BBC twin turbo boat. Brownie spoke of this boat years ago and that Donzi only made one. I knew someone who wanted a BS Hornet. This is one of the BS Hornets that I knew about and kept in my back pocket. The person I knew who wanted one would do it justice a make it right. So he purchased it. And guess what...the price wasn't even 1/4 of what Pzazz is going for. And this particular BS Hornet is super rare.

I have to agree with Jim also, Criterion's are a lot more rare than BS Hornets so why are they not bringing more money?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Boats, with a very few rare exceptions tied to long term emotions and fond memories just aint cars as we all know. I paid $75k for my 1997 993 Turbo, drove it for four years with nominal operating costs and sold it for exactly $75k in 4 weeks to a guy in Florida who was a pleasure to work with. It's a sliver market for boats, even the rare ones. The Schiada's out West which fetch big money also take a long time to move. You have to line up a lot more variables than a car and it takes a ton of time to educate folks about the value of what was done to the boat. Some people like to sell the value and others get frustrated and aren't into selling. IMO you are ALWAYS better off paying strong money for a turn key mint restoration of any relatively rare boat should it ever become available. If the BS Hornet fetches $20k and then, say you do/coordinate all the needed work yourself (I have no ability to do that) you still write a second restoration check for say ..... $40,000? You now have a $60,000 mint BS Hornet V drive.

Now, if you are talented and like to do boat restoration projects because you enjoy doing them, then the $40k hard money expense and "zero" dollar sweat equity hours are 110% worth it.

I think it all boils down to banks and out pocket No bank is going to finance an old boat and $ 30,000 cash out a pocket is tuff for most to bare So in order to get that kind of a sales price it has to be bought by an individual with deep pockets
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Quote Originally Posted by joseph m. hahnl View Post
    I think it all boils down to banks and out pocket No bank is going to finance an old boat and $ 30,000 cash out a pocket is tuff for most to bare So in order to get that kind of a sales price it has to be bought by an individual with deep pockets
    Or, if you have the equity, take out a second mortgage and get a great interest rate and it is tax deductible.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Matty,
    This will be a great indication as to what your BS Hornet isworth. Both your Hornet and Pzazz are about identical in appearance and structurallythe same. You have an I/O and Pzazz has a BB Ford. So it’s pretty much a washin my opinion as to what one is more desirable to someone. You just have tofind that someone who prefers one set-up over the other.

The big difference is you have a custom built Performancetrailer that’s built and painted to match the boat. And your motor is brandnew.

I think this will be interesting.

My only concern with Pzazz is that if the new owner doesn’t agreeon an offered price because he has a number in his head that he thinks it worthand will only hold out for that amount than the boat might sit and rot. Like Isaid in an earlier post…That’s what happened to “The Ultimate”.

I think we haveall seen this scenario with cars and boats.

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

yes extremely interesting in this but in the back of my mind are the yellow 16 in tx and the muncie 16 these were both fresh restos each boat was offered in the 45k range which back 8-10 yrs ago was high for the market and that was before the economy tanked. each sold in the mid 20s which was a fair price for each.

rare boats are for one reason they didn't make alot which means they didn't appeal to the masses like other models that were made in large numbers. This could be for a few reasons with the BS Baby and Criterion the seating arrangement and functionality may not be everyone's cup of tea.

sought after boats are usually rare boats but have something else going for them that the buyer wants . Some need to have a boat that is a True Aronow boat made when Don was in control of the company either and early Formula,Donzi, Magnum , Cigarette,Squadron XII and so on. Or it is unique in numbers , performance ,looks, or something that the buyer must have.

I love my benchseat it has tons of storage rides well is very comfy doesn't beat us like the 16 . But it has its down side too if a family of 4 comes for a visit it means two rides. It needs alot of power to get going. So I can see where it might not appeal to everyone, but there is a market they do sell every so often.To see the value of the BS( or other rare models) over other older more common classics is they sell in total basket case with major parts missing were a 16 or an 18 didn't and went to the dump

Scott
    I was doing a comparision from mine to PZAZZ as they are very close in shape and condition these are the only two survivors with some cosemetic and refit work that I know about.All the others are total restos or project in progress.

My Pot O gold at the end of the rainbow
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Is there an actual online ad for the sale of Pzazz listed somewhere with the asking price? It would be interesting to see how well the ad is written and how the current owner reps the boat.

did I read that Pzazz had been painted? if so, that takes away from originality in a BIG way

did I also read that it hasn't been in the water for several years?

my apology's if I read wrong
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Jim yes the hull sides, transom and hull bottom have been painted. It's a pretty poor job. Dirt, runs and very bad blistering on the entire hull bottom. They did tape off around hardware on transom too. Also looks like they did some kind of coating on 1/3 of the bottom.

Boats that have been painted right I have no issue with and I feel if it's done correctly should not effect the value. However, Pzazz is done poorly.

Hasn't been in the water for about 7 years also.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I bought the TR in '07 for $11.5K. I also investigated an F22. Talk about rare! Nine built, I think. When I started disassembling the TR, I discovered 22C's of a certain age have a LOT of inherent issues, which probably equals the complexity of BS Hornets if done correctly. So, here I am 7 years later, with an additional $50K invested (no labor) and where do I go from here? Ya can't sell an incomplete project w/o giving it away (I tried). So, it's on to completion hoping someone wants a like new red 22C.
    I missed the specific dollars in this post. I think it's fair to say that Mr. Carter has a knack for finding the needed materials and pieces as inexpensively as humanly possible so he sets the bar for both skill and will.
    With that in mind, he's spent $50,000 in parts, supplies and products ONLY and isn't done. That tells me that my $40,000 check for the BS Hornet is probably light.

$20,000 purchase price plus $50,000 materials cost. Maybe you have a show winner for $70,000 that you run for a half dozen and enjoy before selling it.

Or you can just buy a new 17' Hornet Marine (or a

This is an alternative. 4.3 Mercruiser and trailer and all http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-Bow-101954175

A fully ready to go boating and the bank will buy it for you.

2012 Hornet Marine 17 Closed Bow, The Beauty of Classic Lines Meets the Thrill of Modern Engineering! With sleek styling and unbeatable performance, the Hornet 17 was deisgned to satisfy the thrill-seeker in all of us. Whether you crave that rush of adrenaline that only a high-speed ride on the water can provide or just a fun escape from the everyday, the Hornet 17 is built to satisfy any boaters passion. As Equipped: Mercruiser - 4.3 liter MPI 220hp 6cyl, Alpha One Outdrive Fusion Sound System with 2 Speakers Underwater Transom Lights Lenco Electric Trim Tabs with LED dash display Pull Out Safe Stop Transom Ladder Cockpit Carpet Full Canvas Cover (trailerable) Stainless Steel Rub Rail with Backing Upgrade Stainless Steel Grab Rail (Front Port Side) Stainless Steel Grab Rail (Rear Starboard Side) *CUSTOM BUNK TRAILER IS NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE! Specifications Length: 17' Beam: 7' Draft: 19" Weight: 2455 lbs Fuel Capacity: 23 gals Dead-Rise: 24" Seating Capacity: 5 Weight Capacity: 1062 lbs
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pearson View Post
    Jim yes the hull sides, transom and hull bottom have been painted. It's a pretty poor job. Dirt, runs and very bad blistering on the entire hull bottom. They did tape off around hardware on transom too. Also looks like they did some kind of coating on 1/3 of the bottom.

Boats that have been painted right I have no issue with and I feel if it's done correctly should not effect the value. However, Pzazz is done poorly.

Hasn't been in the water for about 7 years also.

have to agree paint done right has nothing but an upside when it comes to resale value on an older boat.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    I love my benchseat it has tons of storage rides well is very comfy doesn't beat us like the 16 . But it has its down side too

Damnit ! You forgot the 'head' ! I can't believe how cool that is in a 19' open boat.

There isn't a chick on the planet who thinks your boat is impractical .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    I missed the specific dollars in this post. I think it's fair to say that Mr. Carter has a knack for finding the needed materials and pieces as inexpensively as humanly possible so he sets the bar for both skill and will.
    With that in mind, he's spent $50,000 in parts, supplies and products ONLY and isn't done. That tells me that my $40,000 check for the BS Hornet is probably light.

$20,000 purchase price plus $50,000 materials cost. Maybe you have a show winner for $70,000 that you run for a half dozen and enjoy before selling it.
    Yes, I have 90% of the receipts (some inevitably go through the company, and they're not included), and most (the first half anyway), on a spreadsheet. I'm waiting for a slow day so I can get our accountant to do the rest, but the number is pretty accurate.
    Also, I suppose glass shops work for $90.00/hour, I'm grateful I had very little outside work done. Most of the outside work was machine shop, welding shop, etc.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thread Information