Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Bench Seat Hornet Values??? Thoughts?

I now have to leave for some check writing and boating. It's a great sunny afternoon
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Ok let me see if I have this straight
    Buy for 25k and put another 25 k into it
    But it is not a project boat

. I'll have what your drinking

Looks like the boat was painted since I last saw her

Is a great looking boat
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    So a buyer must take that into account
    Splitting a bench seat is a bit more of a project than a 16 or 18 you need 12-14 people to get the deck on and off
    But if the feeling is 30k is the going rate for a boat that needs to be split. Think i will be drinking the good stuff tonite cause my driveway just increased in value
    Matty, ya really don't need all those folks to pull the deck. W/my simple setup in my shop, I think I could pull the deck on any boat (that'll fit in the shop) w/a shoe box joint (that's not glassed together) by myself! Just sayin....
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Maybe something else to consider, Donzi's been out of the boat building business for awhile, particularly Classics.
    Since Donzi has announced the construction of some Anniversary models, If they sell, it may be an indicator of increased interest. After all, if someone buys a $125K 22C, there may be interest in buying my nearly finished TR boat for substantially less.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

George i am sure something could be rigged but with the size of the nose on a benchseat and the old coring i would be leary about lifting mechanically after a deck resto sure
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Scott i just have to say the Sting is absolutely beautiful. the engine compartment is flawless,,, where are all the wires, cables and plugs and stuff??? beautiful boat!!!
    FISH HARD

Fish, We hid everything that we could through tubes and looms. It was a long process but well worth it. The underside of the dash is done the same way. I will have to post some pictures of how we do these. All the boat that I have or worked on are done this way.

Thank you!!!

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

----Scott,,, Maybe you missed my question? Does PZZAZZ have a balsa cored hull? Just am interested it knowing if those Daytona powered boats were the only boats treated that way or if H-M, big block Ford V-drive boats got the same treatment. Thanks in advance!......Bill S

Bill,
    Only the very early Hornets and Daytona's were 1/2 cored down the entire sides and entire hull bottom. A quick easy way to tell on these old boats is Donzi never cored directly over the area where the Shaft Log and Strut attach to the hull. You will see an area on the inside of the hull step down in these spots. You can see how we did it when re-cored these areas on "The Ultimate". This is how it was done from the factory.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pearson View Post
    Yes I have to agree that there are some amazing boats out there like Parnell's for very fair prices. Look what your getting for the price of Parnell's...You could not build that boat for twice that. I know most of us do it for the love of the Classics but its still needs to be a reasonable price. But like Greg said...You need the right person.

With that said it will depend on what type of boat it is. Its going to be alot harder to find someone who wants a V-Drive compared to a Stern Drive.
    I agree, a V-Drive on the East Coast is a major drawback to price when selling a boat on the Eastern Seaboard. Ironically, the West Coast folks love there V-Drives, but Donzi's ...... not so much.
    As a test I posted Parnell's boat on both left coast sites for him. I doubt he got any hits from there in the last month.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

----Thanks, Scott. My time at Donzi was just after the majority if not all of benchseats were built. I actually never even saw a benchseat at the factory back in 73 when I was there almost every day. Now I know!........Bill S

George

if you look at the pics of Scott's deck flipped upside down you can see the rot in the coring just fwd of the deck. I would be be afraid that lifting by anything but hand the deck would snap even by hand it scares me but after the coring is replace the deck is very solid. I would think the benchseat hornet would win the fwd deck to cockpit glass ratio there is a lot of glass up there the fed deck is huge. the cockpit is basically 3.5 front to back and 6 feet wide.

Greg

very true when Scott came to my lake with wa lo BBF V drive i was really worried about him find shallow water or having issues with the ramps and getting around in the tight spaces by the docks but he did well no issues just some complaints about rattling windows. Besides that selling a boat that is so specified or doesn't have a wide appeal it will effect price and time to sale. A v drive may hurt in some buyers mind and it maybe just what someone else is looking for but the benchseat may turn others off. I love mine Marie loves the boat as well but it is really less versatile than the 16. so the layout and purpose of the boat also limits market. We got it as empty nesters an us boat other buyers may want a more people friendly boat.

there is also an easy test to see if the 427 is the holy grail it is said to be put some adds out this sept at the adirondack natls for the boat with a 427 side oiler and see if any of the car guys come down to see the boat I mean there are 40k car nutz there every year. Last big car guy I spoke to said he shys away from boat motors the marine 427s didn't cut the mustard as far as specs for the auto motors so they went to marine and industrial apps, then he said the motors are ridden hard and put a way wet.

it is a nice boat and I wish them all the best on the sale. I am sure it will find a good home.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Bill the last one I have documented is a 71

also my 68 has no wood in the deck the deck is all foam cored about 2.5 inches

think I might go to the hardware store and pickup a for sale sign just incase
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

You mend 'em, I'll bend 'em.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I love the benchseats... I'd love to own one. But there's no way you could separate me from $40K to buy one as that amount (or less) buys so much more in the boating world. (a very nice local C22 ask $23,000 currently listed ready to hit the water). And that's just if you stay Donzi. An original Hornet needs a new fuel tank minimum... that ain't cheap due to the split and it's the start of the "while you're in there" song.

The only scenario I see this type of boat going for that kind of scratch is if this was a documented fresh and complete restoration (That's what the Woody boys do) and as we know.... the seller would still be upside down (losing money).

As to a value of a boat in this condition... I can't speak for others but, I don't think I'd be in over $15,000, probably closer to $10,000 (and that's generous for a prime project boat). Yes, it sounds harsh but I think that's the market.

As far as the "40K, right buyer" coming along... I hope so for the seller, but It's unlikely imho.
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Thread Information