Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gen2 to SS

Gen2 to SS

I understand mods needed to go gen2 to ss. Where can I find details? Also once done can the gen 2 be reinstalled? This is going on a 94 18. Thanks in advance.

There was a member that listed the differences, Rootsy was his Screen name. He had an 80 MPH 16 w/an SS.
    Ya might try and do a search.
    James Root was one of the folks that chose to leave and start the other site, so the data might not still be here.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I will let you know.
    Putting a SS on a Gen II Alpha - 20' Baja Outlaw w/470 hp Dart 406....

Please keep us informed...
    I'm shortening an Alpha One (Gen 1)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    Please keep us informed...
    I'm shortening an Alpha One (Gen 1)
    How's that going, Woobs? Great project - don't you have a thread going on that? I'd love to see more pictures and get some details. I'm guessing that it isn't possible in my "machine shop," which consists of a grinder, a sawzall, and a Mig welder.
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    How's that going, Woobs? Great project - don't you have a thread going on that? I'd love to see more pictures and get some details. I'm guessing that it isn't possible in my "machine shop," which consists of a grinder, a sawzall, and a Mig welder.
    I don't have another thread other than the one discussing the "triple digits" dude and his efforts. Yes, this is quite the precise operation and a little beyond me... So, I enlisted the help of a professional to do as a home project. I only get the pictures he sends me because he does everything at work. he's a great guy and an enthusiast too.

The pic is of my upper housing as of about 2 weeks ago. The cutting (shortening) is all done and we're working on the internals now.
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

More input needed

Thanks for the input. Although I am not a machinist I have friends with shops. Although I am pretty sure the machining will be to the ss drive I am hoping to get some guidance on what actually needs to be done before I pull the gen 2 and start noodling myself. Thanks in advance. Ps I placed several calls to rotary with no response. He lives (lived ) not far from me and the drive I have was originally rebuilt by him.

the SS Gen 1 drive is 2 3/4" shorter than a standard drive

having owned an SS drive on a 18 for a few years, if it was ME, I would only make it 2 to 2 1/4" shorter to take advantage of more trim range, as the shorter drive on a 16 or 18 won't help ya if you have a passenger up front
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Confused

Buzilla I am confused. Thought the ss was a bolt on 2 plus mph period and how do I make it not as short. Pls call me if you get a chance ralph 248-214-9285 thanks

you'll pick up 6-7 mph on a 16 or 18 for sure, ZERO gain on a Minx, H2, H3 or a 22

if you match the 2 3/4 shortness and run a passenger up front most if not all the gains will also go away, not enough trim leverage or bow lift, move the passenger to the back seat and you'll understand better what i'm saying maybe
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ralphcrocker View Post
    I understand mods needed to go gen2 to ss. Where can I find details? Also once done can the gen 2 be reinstalled? This is going on a 94 18. Thanks in advance.
    Start reading @ post # 81http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?52687-help-with-my-new-to-me-sweet-16/page6

in member smallblockford thread. Rootys helped him out

Huh?

So how do I get to that post. I am a puter dummy. Probably stay that way LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mike o View Post
    Start reading @ post # 81http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?52687-help-with-my-new-to-me-sweet-16/page6

in member smallblockford thread. Rootys helped him out
    Ralph, type in the above address starting with "http". Mike O didn't include a space after "81".
    So, just click on the link below:
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...sweet-16/page6

I tried the address myself, so I know it works.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Another idea

A marine mechanic just suggested that since I going full imco hydraulic I remove entire gen 2 transom assy and replace with a gen 1 same bolt pattern. What do folks think?

I think that's a good idea. There're many, many Gen 1's on the market. I have paid as little as $100 for a good Gen 1.
    Just be careful about condition, the gimbal housing can corrode through but sometimes you can have it welded up.
    Try to buy fresh water examples.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information