Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: storm blew away my cockpit cover

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I'm a fan of the universal telescoping cover poles, to your point MC. The inner tube has a grommet point on one end and a snap on the other. Flip it around for use anywhere. I think there may even be a mushroom-cap for one end also, for use with neither grommet nor snap.

I need a cover too. If your snaps are the original ones on the boat, I'll go in on two with you, maybe it will be cheaper to have two made at once.

If you already have yours, would you mind telling me who made it? My local guys want anywhere from $500 to $1000 and it just isnt worth that much to me given that I already have a full cover and I trailer.

Thanks
    Top Gun 1992 22 Classic 540hp rebuilt HP500 King Cobra

Just and FYI. Sunbrella for a cover costs retail, about $22-25/yard. A cockpit cover will cost about $150-200 in material, retail, and that would include all the extras, snaps, thread, bindings, etc.

My point, if someone is charging more than $500 for a cockpit cover, they are gouging. I don't care if they go to your boat or not. It is what they do in the marine upholstery industry.

Of course, these are just my opinions.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I just paid 450 for blue sunbrella for a cockpit cover for the bench seat it is about 6x4 with a tent pole and a small flap to protect the in deck compass. Color matters reds are more expensive. I was quoted 700 from another guy and would need to wait a month. The guy I used came with good feedback from the local marinas

I would think a 16 or 18 cover would be about 50% bigger so should be 50% more$$

The 16 skisporter had a wood bow to tent the cover and prevent puddles. The 18 used the wheel and top of the seats to tent the cover

I agree that it does seem a bit high but when most of these guys won't answer phone messages, won't come to your house or require you leave you prized Donzi sitting in their parking lot for a month, a 2 or 300 dollar difference doesn't really matter to me. He is coming Monday to do it and I paid up front. $860 plus tax= $917. What are you gonna do

My note was for future reference. I realize you are paying a premium for you cover. If nobody will answer their phones nor return phone calls, then your guy has himself on of them there monopolies. That works for him and not necessarily for you.

Hope he does a stellar job.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Quote Originally Posted by Tidbart View Post
    Just and FYI. Sunbrella for a cover costs retail, about $22-25/yard. A cockpit cover will cost about $150-200 in material, retail, and that would include all the extras, snaps, thread, bindings, etc.

My point, if someone is charging more than $500 for a cockpit cover, they are gouging. I don't care if they go to your boat or not. It is what they do in the marine upholstery industry.

Of course, these are just my opinions.

B
    Out here everyone with a boat eventually comes to the realization that whatever you need for your boat it's going to cost 3'xs as much as the exact same thing for your car or house.
    Maybe you should have told him that it was a cover for your BBQ but to please use your boat as the template
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Maybe you should have told him that it was a cover for your BBQ but to please use your boat as the template
    Brillant!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by CHACHI View Post
    Brillant!

Ken
    Ive got a cockpit cover on my BBQ pit from a Cig Top Gun. Thats the truth.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

My new top is on and it came out great!!! Thanks to Ed Donnelly for his suggestion to add twist to locks on all 4 corners so I don't lose another one. Very pleased and ready for more rain the next 2 days

Nice to see it was painless and quick. Twist locks are a great idea. We are going to have a full week of rain down here with very high winds as well.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Thread Information