Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: storm blew away my cockpit cover

storm blew away my cockpit cover

Is there anyone that still produces the cockpit covers for a Classic 18? Mine was red/maroon in color that attached to the snaps around the cockpit. Does any one still produce these or know of any source for one. My boat is drenched and the cover blew away with the storm last night

Thanks, Paul

Josh at Donzi Direct.com answered an e-mail. Looks like none of them are the same and I will have to have it measured and made locally using sunbrella material.

You can't find it? I guess you've searched high and low. . . . . .
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    You can't find it? I guess you've searched high and low. . . . . .
    Carl, The wife and I searched the lake all over. We had the kayaks out, scuba gear, you name it, it's nowhere to be found. The winds were strong out of the North so we figured we could find it on the South side of the boat. No luck . I did find a guy that can make me one. He's been doing tops for 30 years. Just money down the drain. My $175 swim area buoy took off just last week. I suppose it could be worse.

I didn't know it was on a lake. It probably sank. Expensive loss.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I have a local boat/canvass guy that has agreed to make a new top for me right here at the house. What do you think of $860? He is using Sunbrella. Seems pricey but it is nice that he can do it right here at the dock.

about 5 large high
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    about 5 large high
    I agree .......................... although I recently was shopping a dodger / forward cover for my 13' Whaler.

It floored me, the price came in at $975 with a $100 discount! - I'll make another plan

Really not too much to those covers if you are talking about a tonneau cover for the cockpit that snaps down. It seems like $400 or so should get one made.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Cape... its for your Donzi right and the guy is gonna do it at your place, go for it!!!
    FISH HARD

Thanks for the replies. I agree it seems high but he can do it right away and right at my dock so I'm just going to have him go ahead. I will pick out the color this AM and it will be done by the middle of next week. I have the full cover for the boat but it's a PITA to get on the boat while it's on the boat lift. The cockpit cover is much easier.

Most of the other canvass guys either won't return phone calls or require that the boat be left at their shop. Typical Cape Cod

What do you use under the full cover as support to keep water from pocketting? I use the tonneu cover.

Quote Originally Posted by TBroccoli View Post
    What do you use under the full cover as support to keep water from pocketting? I use the tonneu cover.
    I rarely if ever use the full cover. When I have used it I put it on over the cockpit cover which has the pole in the center to help direct water off the cover. I am going to have to use it until the new cockpit cover is installed on Monday.

Most competent marine canvas/upholstery fabricators should have the telescoping support poles in stock should you need one.
    Some have the pointed end which fits into a hole grommet made into the cover. Others have two blunt ends which you can affix rubber feet to , the kind that would go under the leg of a utility chair .
    They 'collapse' into quite a short rod when not in use and they can be a simple fix to stop your cover from turning into a bucket after a down pour of rain .. I guess they would work in snow too but I don't know anything about that stuff
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I'm a fan of the universal telescoping cover poles, to your point MC. The inner tube has a grommet point on one end and a snap on the other. Flip it around for use anywhere. I think there may even be a mushroom-cap for one end also, for use with neither grommet nor snap.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Thread Information