Thread: 1990 OMC cuts out after 15 minutes of run time.

1990 OMC cuts out after 15 minutes of run time.

Went out today and the boat stalled after about 15 minutes. It's a 22 classic with the 460. Carb is pumping gas but I don't think there's spark. Obviously no ignition... So this engine doesn't have a distributor and I haven't found online what part I would need. Not sure if it's one of the two coils? Or if it's a control module? Anyways, I hung out and worked on my tan for an hour and then it fired up and I got back to the dock. Any ideas? Sound familiar?

Smokediver had the cure, PM him within here
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    Smokediver had the cure, PM him within here
    You can find him by clicking on the "community" icon near the top of the forum page and click on member list.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    You can find him by clicking on the "community" icon near the top of the forum page and click on member list.
    I tried sending a couple message but they don't appear in my "sent" box. oh well. A problem I'm running into online is the "obsolete" omc parts...

I'm a Ford guy with cars and trucks but the 460 needs some work to bring it alive. The stock heads suck and probably the intake and exhaust too. I have no idea what your problem is though and never heard of a distributorless 460. Maybe Buizilla can help point you more in the right direction.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Sounds like crankshaft position sensor or ignition module do a tap and heat test on both with a hair dryer see if it happens at the dock

I ditched all the spitfire stuff and went with a DUI HEI marine distributor. ...simplified things.
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

Just out of curiosity , before you get into any money spending maybe you could do a test run with the fuel tank gas cap backed off 'till it's slack and see if the problem stops .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I agree with Jayz OMC is a perfect example of breaking the KISS rule ( keep it simple stupid) the wring diagram in a omc ford reads like a NASA manual. I would remove as much of the omc stuff and replace with aftermarket stuff where possible

to me it sounds like a coil issue
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    I ditched all the spitfire stuff and went with a DUI HEI marine distributor. ...simplified things.
    How easy was this conversion? I guess there was a lot of wire cutting? And which model DUI did you go with, the racing one?

Delco has a conversion kit. I ordered mine from Michigan motors. It's called the delco voyager electronic ignition. Basically u get rid of all the spitfire stuff and put in a electronic distributor. Really easy conversion. It fixed my problem of stalling out.
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Thread Information