Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my 1970 vintage gauge panel complete!

I have been working on the gauge panel restoration on my '65 Ski Sporter. However, I didn't want to shell out the big bux for a new panel when I had the original and wanted to use it. Since my boat will be using Merc power I also wanted vintage Merc gauges.

As you can see the panel was a mess. First, I tried to polish the entire panel (face and edges) but the poor quality of the casting was never meant for this and it just didn't look very good. So I took a file to the trim edges to expose some new material and have a more flat surface. Next I wet sanded through several grits and finished the edges with a polish/buffing wheel on a bench grinder. I was considering painting the face of the gauge panel but thought to sandblast it first. I liked the look and clear coated it.

Ultimately with little invested but time (and a great deal on the gauges from a Donzi community member) this is what will go in my boat.
    DSC01393.jpg2015-04-05 13.14.18.jpg
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Looks sweet

Looks sweet Woobs
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

very nice Woobs

68 is the model year for electronic fuel gauge as standard equipment but the HM wiring diagram that I posted doesn't show the fuel gauge.

Jim
    make sure the ground at the tank is good be careful with senders that are grounded thru the screws in the sender collar with gaskets they may not get a good bond to the tank especially if it is a steel tank with corrosion . the tank should have a separate ground tab I usually have a 10-12 foot jumper cable with alligator clips to test electrical circuits. Can you get to the sender are there access panels above the tank?
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Not too shabby EH Woobs...Ed

Ed,
    I might have to press you into service when it's "wiring time".
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Webers for lunch each day. ( I work real slow )..Ed

Woobs, Ed just remember red wire HOT black wire not and if you're not sure just lick it to find out but only do this if you have had more than two beers at lunch

Jim any luck?
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Matty, I can get to the sender through the access hole. There is a grounding lug.

Since I made the decision to put the boat in the Keels & Wheels Concours, I have not tried to troubleshoot the fuel gauge. I have been working under the hatch, repainting some pieces and doing general cleanup.

Thanks for your help!
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

good luck at the show

that's good you can get to the sender, if you disconnect the lead from the sender going to the gauge at the sender and ground it with the key on the gauge should read pegged full. that will confirm the wire from the gauge to the sender is good as well as the gauge . then you have to look at the ground to the tank and sender.

pics of the 18 at the show are always good
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Old thread resurrection!

I FINALLY got to work on my fuel gauge. (Funny, wiggling up under the dash was easier when I was younger...lol!) Traced the ground, cleaned the connections real good and ran new 12v to the gauge. VOILA! Working vintage Teleflex fuel gauge!

Now my gauge package is complete!

Thanks Matty for all your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

Nice

Jim,
    Well done, your dash is perfect. My old 1970 ski sporter was delivered with the same configuration and gauge package. However the Holman Moody tachometer was so far gone that it could not be restored so I went with classic Stewart Warner gauges.
    Bobby
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reviving an old thread for a new question. My gauge package is working great, but I think I have the wrong oil pressure sender. The sender is one the PO had for the modern gauges that were in the boat when I bought it. Oil pressure always normal with the modern gauge, 40-45 at higher rpms and dropped to 20 at hot idle. This gauge reads low. 30 at speed and almost 0 hot idle. Is there another sender I should look for?

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

Yes. There are two types of one wire senders. One increases in resistance as the oil heats up, and one decreases. If you have the wrong one, your gauge will work in reverse, as you have found out.

I found out years ago, when I had to replace a bad sensor on my 16. I figured all sensors were the same, so rather than spend 4 x's the cash on a marine sensor, I went to the local auto store and bought one. Result was my gauge ended up working backwards. So I went to the boat shop and purchased a merc sensor and all was good.

So you need to figure out which sensor you have. Typically, the marine sensor will have a rubber jacket, but not always.

As an fyi, the temp sensors are the same and interchangeable.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Oops....just reread your thread. I didn't answer your question correctly, as your gauge is operating in the same direction as before. The sensor is just a thermister that changes resistance as it heats up. It is possible you have a bad sensor. I don't know of ones with different resistance ranges, but that doesn't mean there isn't. Not sure what you have for gauges, but I'd check with the manufacturer to see what they recommend; or if they aren't in business, there's always google.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Thanks Yeller! My gauges are 1970 NOS Teleflex. It is original gauge package than would have come in this boat from the factory. I lucked into a sealed boxed unit on ebay a few years back. When I bought the boat, the PO had installed aftermarket mismatched gauges. Probably new senders also. So I am looking for the sender that HM or Teleflex would have specified back in 1970.

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

Thread Information