Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Code reader

Code reader - cont warning sound

What kind of code reader do I need for a 1996 mercruiser MCM 5.7 EFI?

It felt like it ran out of gas. Would fire once when I tried to restart it and then wouldn't fire again. Now I have the continuous warning tone.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Last edited by chip w; 06-08-2014 at 06:38 AM. Reason: More info added

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Rinda technologies. There is the less expensive code reader for probably 35 $40 in that range. Or the high-end $400 model.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Thanks. Going to check the fuel pick up first. Then I'll check the codes.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Run through all the basics to find your problem. Check the codes last. Codes are not set very often. These are not like modern cars that set codes for everything.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I agree, codes will tell you little, chances are it will have no codes. Engine after engine with no codes wont run.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Will do. I checked the basics. Fuel pump (mechanical) isn't leaking, no spark, doesn't seem to be pumping fuel either but I'll verify that tonight. Plugs were dry when I pulled them. I put gas in and before we went out and still had 1/2 tank. Relays all seem to be good, no blown fuses. It seems odd that there doesn't seem to be fuel or spark but it turns over. I drained the fuel/water filter and put it back on and it's not filling up so it made me think that maybe the fuel pick up in the tank sucked up something. I'll check that too.

I'm not up on my EFI technology. I guess I'm a bit of a dinosaur as I seem to be more comfortable with carbs. Oh well, I'll keep at it until I find the problem. It's more satisfying to figure it out than to pay somebody.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

check your kill switch
    mario

I checked the kill switch when it happened and it was in the run position. Unless the wire came off the back. I haven't pulled that out to look at it yet. It could be that a wire broke or came disconnected.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Quote Originally Posted by chip w View Post
    I checked the kill switch when it happened and it was in the run position. Unless the wire came off the back. I haven't pulled that out to look at it yet. It could be that a wire broke or came disconnected.
    Not saying it couldn't happen, but it is not very likely, unless you were in there messing with things.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

jump out the switch and check to see if you have spark they good bad all the time
    mario

Does the EFI have the ignition control module on it? My 1996, 454 magnum, carbed, had the ICM go bad. Turned over all day. No spark. No fuel movement. Installed new ICM and all was good. Old style ICM's weren't sealed very well. They get water in them and die. If you have one, disconnect it and shake hard. Water may drip out. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TBroccoli View Post
    Does the EFI have the ignition control module on it? My 1996, 454 magnum, carbed, had the ICM go bad. Turned over all day. No spark. No fuel movement. Installed new ICM and all was good. Old style ICM's weren't sealed very well. They get water in them and die. If you have one, disconnect it and shake hard. Water may drip out. Good luck.
    It does and I'll check that as I have 12V at the coil but no spark. The fuel pump is filling the filter but the EFI is not putting gas into the cylinder. At this point I was thinking it's either one of the smaller modules or the ECU.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

It was the ICM. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've had this for about 2 months now and the fuel injection isn't as easy to trace problems with as the 1969 16 with the 302 HM in it. But it runs great (now) and with only about 380 hours on it I'm pretty happy.

Does anybody know about the engine compartment lid? I'm not wild about it but the price was right on the boat when I bought it.

1996 01.jpg

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Quote Originally Posted by chip w View Post
    Does anybody know about the engine compartment lid? I'm not wild about it but the price was right on the boat when I bought it.

1996 01.jpg
    The engine in the 96 sat higher than other years, hence the different hatch.

Congrats on finding the issue. Now that you have time and you don't have to spend money in a hurry, having the CodeMate MEFI code reader in your tool box is not a bad thing. http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm#codetool

Not a bad thing to have even though you may never need it. I see the price went up to $49. They used to be cheaper. You may find one on C-List or Ebay sometime.

Also, if you don't have one, get the Merc Service Manual for that engine. I believe it is Number 24. Well-written invaluable tool for that engine.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I'll get the code reader. That's a good thing to have.

Raising the engine up would raise the center of gravity too. I've noticed that it heals over more in turns, especially to the left (prop rotation would account for that). Does the higher COG contribute to the amount of lean. It literally puts the rub rail into the water on a hard turn. No problem with it. I'm just curious.

Right now we're mostly using this for the lake but as my son get's older I'll either add through hull exhaust and tabs or maybe move to a 22. We do use it for skiing, tubing, etc. The thought was to get my son into boats rather than motorcycles. I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite but after riding for 35 years and seeing how bad traffic is in the Tampa area I'd much rather see him on the water. And I'd rather be on the water too.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Thread Information