Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prop Info: LH SS Volvo 4 Blade Prop?

Unhappy Prop Info: LH SS Volvo 4 Blade Prop?

Looking to buy a new prop for my '76 18 2+3, I was previously running a custom made LH 25P 3 blade (before it fell off in the middle of the St. Lawrence River). The boat ran 63 in perfect conditions with 380ish Hp @5150 RPMs Outdrive is a 280T with the "D" Ratio (1.63:1?). I had my heart set on a 4 blade prop, although I am certainly open for suggestions. I called Hydromotive but was told that they couldn't do the volvo hub. I also am looking for advice for new prop nut hardware as I have no idea where the last set came from (it was like a big brass nut)... I'll try to find a pic. It seemed like the prop setup had a lot of slip in the water, although I forget what the math actually came out to.
    Thanks in advance for any help or direction you guys can send me in,
    -Alex

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Looking to buy a new prop for my '76 18 2+3, I was previously running a custom made LH 25P 3 blade (before it fell off in the middle of the St. Lawrence River). The boat ran 63 in perfect conditions with 380ish Hp @5150 RPMs Outdrive is a 280T with the "D" Ratio (1.63:1?). I had my heart set on a 4 blade prop, although I am certainly open for suggestions. I called Hydromotive but was told that they couldn't do the volvo hub. I also am looking for advice for new prop nut hardware as I have no idea where the last set came from (it was like a big brass nut)... I'll try to find a pic. It seemed like the prop setup had a lot of slip in the water, although I forget what the math actually came out to.
    Thanks in advance for any help or direction you guys can send me in,
    -Alex

you should be looking at a solas titan or volvo ultra I would say a 23 solas or a 26 ultra will keep you in the same RPM ballpark both are 3 blade the solas will handle better the ultra will be fast and loose with a lot of bow lift

the D ratio was 2:1 the B ratio was 1.6 they also had a v 6 ratio of 1.8 think that was a C

Hill has SS performance props on ebay for the AQ series I have never run one I would recommend the solas 23 titan if you can turn a 23 to 5150 on 1.6 you will be north of 67

solas does make a 4 blade for the AQ but i would say it is not really a performance prop only lower 20s pitch
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thank you Mattyboy,
    Just to be sure: Does a four bladed prop help with the stability at top speed and the torque felt in the steering wheel (I don't power steering lol)? Those were a couple benefits that I was told I could see by switching from my 3 blade. The boat has always loved lots of bow lift, so I will definitely lean towards props with that characteristic.
    One more note, and this probably means nothing at this point but the boat would run 59-61 with the outdrive and trim up, and if you overtrim it to the point that the cavitation plate and prop break the water (small rooster tail at this point) it was like hitting the Nitrous button and getting an instant two Mph's all at once... you would actually lose speed while trimming it until it hit the sweet spot. Again, probably an insignificant fact but the boat definitely likes to run with the prop out of the water.
    -Alex

I don't think you will find a 4 blade big enough

torque steer is usually a by product of the prop

the solas is the best mannered prop i have seen it is super efficient and has no bad handling quirks it is a prop worth having in you stash very little prop torque

this link has the AQ series props from solas the 4 blade is alum and only 21 pitch the solas itan is their high performance prop

http://www.solas.com/newweb/propelle...0STERN%20DRIVE
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Admittedly I have never run a Solas, but hear great things about them.

When I first got my '70 Donzi, it had an aluminum prop on it. It torque steered so bad it was almost undriveable. If you opened the throttle fast, the wheel would try to rip out of your hands...

The Donzi community introduced me to the Ultra. I found one on ebay and installed it. Amazing transformation! No torque steer at all, carried the nose with perfection. Not a single bad habit, ever. I don't know about efficiency, I hear they slip a lot. But for my boat, it is pure gold...

Don't pass one up if you get a shot.
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

running your numbers your at 16% slip now that's about what you will see with the ultra as well, the solas will be at about 7-8% slip .

what that means is with the solas 23 you will lose 200 rpm or so

the ultra were good but the biggest difference i saw was the solas runs in anything the same way, in rougher conditions the ultra would blow out in turns and ventilate in rougher water the solas won't do that.

so if you can turn the 23 solas to 5000 rpm you should see about 2mph increase

the solas carries the entire boat not just the nose, on a 16 i think it may work better than an 18. the 16 seems to runs a bit better more level, the 18 can handle a bit more bow lift with the different bottom and the 2' LOA advantage.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Matty, my experience was definitely different with the Ultra. I have never blown mine out or ventilated. Rough water, hard turns... my Ultra has never displayed any of the symptoms you described. I guess every boat is different i.e weight, weight distribution, etc. It's been flawless...

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

we ran the ultra and solas on a 16 18 and 20 cig in varying pitches from 19-24. the ultra was better than any other SS prop we tried before minimal torques steer but ventilated and blew out in turns plus we spun a few hubs on the ultra. My lake is like bumper cars on the weekend and from time to time when you are running hard you need to get off the throttle quickly the ultra was a hot mess causing the ass end to jump around the solas was like power disc brakes. I know members who have had the ultra tweaked and are happy with it, I was happy with the ultra too until I ran the solas. you just need good power to turn a solas.

The new boat is a much wider flatter bottom pushing just around 240 ish HP i run the solas 19 and a 21 custom spinelli I had 2 or 3 ultra 22s I sold all of them . i am happy enough with the solas 19 that i don't need to go out and find an ultra 22 .
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Cool! The Ultra works so good on mine, that I bought another!! For my boat it's perfection! No bad habits anywhere to be found...

Sounds like you found the one that works on yours!

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

I have a solas and a few ultra's (thanks JimG). I spend some time with Big Griz testing the solas, and bought one from him. I really like the way the solas handles, but I love the way the ultra handles. The ultra gives just a bit more bow lift that my X18 likes. The ultra also feels looser, probably due to the slip, but it's not in a bad way, just different.
    1978 X-18, SBC, Volvo 280T
    Big Grizzly 21 Solas Prop
    Heart Bay, Lake George, NY

I just purchased the 23 solas, although I would like to run an ultra as well. It definitely sounds like those are the two best options out there! the Solas will be here Friday... I'll post my results when I get the boat in the water

So I'm in the process of mounting my prop, and have some questions... the hub of the new solas extends past the end of the splines on my prop shaft even with no line cutter/bushing, so the tab washer that I used before to secure my prop nut is useless. My Volo prop nut would work with the small counter bolt that some prop shafts use but my shaft has no hole... does this mean I need to drill and tap a hole in the prop shaft myself or am I missing something? I didn't see any options for prop shaft lengths when I ordered the prop.

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    So I'm in the process of mounting my prop, and have some questions... the hub of the new solas extends past the end of the splines on my prop shaft even with no line cutter/bushing, so the tab washer that I used before to secure my prop nut is useless. My Volo prop nut would work with the small counter bolt that some prop shafts use but my shaft has no hole... does this mean I need to drill and tap a hole in the prop shaft myself or am I missing something? I didn't see any options for prop shaft lengths when I ordered the prop.
    Well you are turning a left so unless you are in reverse the prop nut is not going to spin off even at finger tight but what I did was just use the cone with a little removable lock tight on the prop shaft threads. Worked for me for years now and I have had to take the prop off a couple times for other things with no issues.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

yes, Unfortunately I have bad luck... that's what I did when my last prop fell off, I may have even used the Red loctite instead of the Blue!

I would drill and tap it , how much meat do you have left on the threads? You probably have a short hub , and the solas is a long hub.

I ran the solas on my 250 which had the short hub just need to be creative a little with different size thrust washer and other hardware.

edit you say it is a 280T should be a long shaft but who knows maybe the shaft was replaced , my 280 t doesn't have much left on the threads but I do have enough to get a SS nylock nut as a backing nut on the threaded washer I use
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information